We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

midweek break February

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
424 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
midweek break February

Hi all,

wife and i are thinking of taking advantage of the midweek deals in February , possibly in the Thistle Atlantic towers . TA seems to give fairly decent reviews, any downside to staying there ?

Beatles fans,,, so maybe a tour ? cavern club ? and Beatles story ? Any other sugestions welcome. We should staying around 4 days so is there plenty to keep us ocuppied,?,not big drinkers {any more !! } good food, walks, maybe some shopping,.and a few old traditional pubs would be nice..

Coming up from deepest South Wales, thinking of the midwales Chester route, easiest route into docks area ??

Thanks for any response.....Alf

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,770 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: midweek break February

Easiest route to the Albert Dock from Chester is to come over the Runcorn Bridge rather than through one of the tunnels. Follow A562 and you´ll soone pick up brown signs to the Albert Dock. Great route along the coast by Otterspool.

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,808 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: midweek break February

Hi Alf

You describe it so well already

The Atlantic Tower is well placed for all the attractions you mention but there are other hotels too but if you can get a good deal then why not?

Right opposite the hotel you will find the waterfront with the Pier Head and the new Museum of Liverpool free entry s are mot Museums in. Liverpool. You are close to the Albert Dock complex with the Beatles Museum (entry fee) and restaurants and Tate Modern (partly free) a great place for a stroll

Good pubs aplenty but I think we'll wait for Matt to pop into this thread as he has a great knowledge of them to impart to you. I thought I had been into most of them but bow to Matts devotion to research on this subject so let's not steal his thunder!

In essence Liverpool has lots to offer and it is all available to you for the sake of a bit of shoe leather. Park the car just take a stroll wherever takes your fancy and you will have a great time .

Take a Mersey Ferry ride

There is a Magical Mystery tour on an old bus round Penny Lane Strawberry Field etc.

Just come and welcome

liverpool
Level Contributor
1,188 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: midweek break February

noticed the atlantic towers is offering rooms for £45.50 midweek in feb... you cant beat that ... the hotel will be fine... i was going to suggest the harddaysnighthotel.. as you are beatles fans ,but that will be about £90.... go and have a look around it though when you visit....great beatles memorabilia..( top of mathew street)...re directions to liverpool do route finder on www.theaa.co.uk

dont forget your toll fee at the mersey tunnel..£1.50 one way (have the correct money and go through auto barrier .. saves queing..)

Edited: 18 January 2012, 20:09
liverpool
Level Contributor
1,188 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: midweek break February

check out www.liverpool-360.co.uk for ideas for things to do on your visit..4 days is a fair while to stay in the city centre so you may wish to visit antony gormleys another place..which is 100 cast iron, life size figures spread along 3km of forshore and 1km out to sea on crosby beach..(approx 20mins outside city centre)... check www.sefton.gov.uk for directions and info ...also check the tide times( not sure of the link) but most times of the day it can look pretty amazing down there..apart from full high tide.. wrap up well, can be windy!! enjoy

Liverpool
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
2,506 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: midweek break February

take a train from Moorfields to either Waterloo or Hall Road Station on the Merseyrail northern line

then a short walk down to the beach to visit Anthony Gormleys Another place statues

you could get off at either station walk along the beach, then get on the other station for the return back to Moorfields, then your hotel

liverpool
Level Contributor
1,188 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: midweek break February

great minds think alike big scouse ....we must have typed at the same time!!!

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
16,317 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: midweek break February

The OP mentioned the Beatles so, and I do appologise, but I've done a "copy and paste" of something I put on another thread earlier today in reply to someone from the USA, and I can't be bothered typing the same thing all over again; so:

"There are 3 types of Beatles Tours available:

- the Magical Mystery Tour bus which takes in all of the major sights such as Penny Lane, Strawberry Fields and it stops at the childhood homes of Lennon and McCartney.

- the Beatles Taxi Tour/Fab Four Tour which is more personal and takes you to the major sights but also to some of the other Beatles haunts like Ye Cracke pub where Lennon used to drink.

- the National Trust tour takes you to Lennons childhood home at Mendips and to McCartneys childhood home at Forthlin Road. Only this tour grants you access to both properties.

The Beatles Story Museum is in 2 parts; the first is at Albert Dock and the second part of the museum is a short walk away at the Pier Head and also featues an exhibition called "Elvis & Us". You would need at least 3 hours to look around both parts of the museum.

http://www.elvisandus.com/

Also at the Pier Head is the new Museum of Liverpool which features several Beatles exhibits.

You might want to consider staying at the Hard Days Night hotel which also features Blakes restaurant and Bar Four where they could enjoy a Beatles themed cocktail.

And around the corner is Mathew Street where you will find the Cavern Club, the Cavern Pub, and two of the Beatles old haunts the White Star pub and the Grapes pub where the Beatles first promoter, Sam Leach, can often be found signing copies of his book."

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
424 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: midweek break February

Thanks for all the replies,

we like to leave the car, walk and use public transport, to get the feel of a place, so the tip on the train to Anthony Gormleys other place is great, as are the other tips for museums etc.

few pubs would be appreciated, with maybe a curry house, steak house, or Italian.

Thanks Alf

liverpool
Level Contributor
1,188 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: midweek break February

atlantic tower hotel is a 2 min walk to moorfields station for your trip to crosby beach..20mins on train... approx £4p/p return.. or you could instead get an all zones saver £4.70 and go over to the wirral as well

llforno italian on duke street is very good... excellent value at lunchtime.. meals from £5( check out tripadvisor reviews)

Edited: 18 January 2012, 21:45
UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,808 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: midweek break February

Pubs

Well I like the Caernarvon Castle near Marks and Spencer .its only a small pub but full of character (s)

Doctor Duncan's near Queen Square and if you are in that neck of the wood and fancy a curry then the Sultan Palace is fine

www.sultans-palace.co.uk/

If you head up Bold Street there are plenty of cafe/ bistro places and head up to Hardman Street on your way to the Cathedrals and Hope street and here you will have plenty of choice too of pubs and restaurants notably the Philharmonic Dining Rooms the Fly in the Loaf.

There is a cathedral at both ends of Hope street so I presume that you'll make your way up to here and when you do you won't go thirsty or hungry.

If you do go out to Crosby to the statues on the beach then South Road in Crosby near the train station contains a few bars and cafes where you can warm yourself up before catching the train back into Liverpool.

If you fancy it you can take the train out to Chester via the Wirral if you fancied a day out in Chester for a change, but you will have plenty to do in Liverpool for four days don't worry.