We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

guidebooks...

Sun City West...
Level Contributor
3,777 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
guidebooks...

hello all!

my wife and i are considering a trip to london, liverpool and scotland. i was hoping to read up a bit before i start asking questions here...which i'm sure there will be many.

if i should ask on the london and scotland forums about books for those areas, please let me know!

many thanks!

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
15,026 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: guidebooks...

There's a book I would recommend called "Discover Liverpool " by Ken Pye.

I just bought a copy for £6.50 from merseyshop.com/products/…

According to the website it would cost you £10 P&P. It's a large A4 sized soft cover book so is not really the sort of book you could carry around as a guidebook!

Another good book which I don't have a copy of (but I have flicked through it in a bookshop!!) is The Insiders Guide to Liverpool which the same website are selling for £2.00 plus £4 P&P.

merseyshop.com/products/…

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: guidebooks...

Now here's a poster who knows how to use these forums! So many people come on here and ask really vague questions which have been asked countless times before, without even doing a google search or reading previous threads - so nice one for that.

Having said that, I don't know which books are the best for Liverpool - but it is worth using the search facility on this forum and then googling any specific things you are interested in or coming back here and asking questions.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
18,969 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: guidebooks...

You can get Dummies guide books for London and Scotland which have a good range of subject matter and might even be available from your local library or dog cheap from ebay.

Yes you can ask as many questions on as many forums as you like.

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: guidebooks...

Here is a link that you might find useful it also contains a link to buying books about Liverpool

Are you the one and only Billy Shears?

A warm welcome awaits in Liverpool for someone called that

http://www.liverpoolcityportal.co.uk/

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
15,026 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: guidebooks...

There's a chain of book shops in the UK called Waterstones and the Liverpool store has a large section on "Liverpool". It's worth a look if you have time when you are here.

Or you could have a look on the Waterstones website.

Type "Liverpool" into the search bar and it brings up 2531 about Liverpool !!

I'm sure you'll find something of interest ! ;-)

http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/

liverpool
Level Contributor
1,134 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: guidebooks...

search.. Liverpool on www.wikipedia.org super in depth information on the city as good as any book

Sun City West...
Level Contributor
3,777 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: guidebooks...

thank you so much, my liverpudlian/uk friends! i've been lurking on this forum for quite a while. i may ask redundant questions in the future, so please forgive!

macfarrag, i know exactly what you mean. i've read thread after thread where people are expecting other posters to do all their work for them without doing any research themselves. drives me a bit up the wall.

tony, i was wondering about a dummies book. the library will be my first stop.

leuca, i've been using the nickname billy shears for many years (here and other places). of course it isn't my real name...but i do have a very english/british surname, but i am a 'yank'. thank you very much for the warm welcome!

matt, great info. much appreciation, me brother.

purdy, from what i understand, wikipedia isn't always all that accurate, but if you advise it...i'll look into it!

i am the beatlemaniac of all beatlemaniacs (you've never heard that one before, i'm sure...lol) and consider this a pilgrimage to the mecca of music...to visit the holy land of my musical mop topped messiahs. my loving wife wants to take me to the uk for my 50th b-day, so i want to make sure we do everything right and be as thorough as possible in my research. you folks have no idea how grateful i am for any advice/help you give.

cheers!

billy

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
15,026 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: guidebooks...

I did my university dissertation on how the Beatles have affected tourism in Liverpool and I have several books at home that you would find very useful.

One in particular is essential reading if you want to know where all of the Beatles "sights" are, but I've forgotten the title of the book.

When I get home this evening (can't you tell I'm really busy in work at the moment !!!!) I'll dig them out and list them on here.

P.S. It's a pity the Jacaranda has closed down !

Sun City West...
Level Contributor
3,777 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: guidebooks...

matt...

thank you. i'm sure they had a huge impact to say the least.

we are considering jackie spencer's all day tour. do you have any opinions on this? i'm aware from this forum that the national trust is the only tour which will take you into john and paul's homes. we plan on doing that, also. what about george and ringo's homes?

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
15,026 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: guidebooks...

Those prices for Jackie Spencer's tours seem to be a bit expensive!

Yes, she may be a Blue Badge Guide, but £150 for a 2.5 hour tour !?

And you want to do a full day tour with her for £450 ?

You won't get to go into Lennon and McCartneys childhood homes if you do that tour, because you know it's only the National Trust tours that let you do that.

The Beatles taxi tours only cost about £50 and are probably as much fun. Okay, the taxi drivers may not be "Blue Badge Guides"; but they are very knowledgeable, otherwise they wouldn't do the Beatles taxi tours and they would stick to normal taxi driving.

I will let you into a bit of local nouse - I've been sat in Ye Cracke on many occasions and have seen the Beatles taxi tour drivers come into the pub with their punters and tell a little story about Lennon, and how the artwork on one of the walls by the Ladies toilets was done by one of Lennons art teachers.

And, believe it or not, the barbers I go to is the one on Smithdown Place. The barbers that features in the song Penny Lane, by the shelter. I go there mainly because its only £7 for a trim, but also because the lady who runs it is very nice.

And every time I go there one of the Beatles taxi tours pulls up and the driver brings in his passengers who take photos of the most famous barbers shop in the world while I'm getting my hair cut !

There's other places I've seen the Beatles taxi tour drivers pop up with their passengers, and I see the Magical Mystery Tour bus nearly every day plodding along.

But, not once have I seen Jackie Spencer.

If I were you I would do a taxi tour and the National Trust tour to Mendips and Forthlin Road.

And I'd like to know if Jackie Spencer - for £450 - will take you to the Grapes or the White Star in the city centre. I've never seen her in those places, or even the Beatles taxi tour drivers in there.

I'll show you for free !

Edited: 21 January 2012, 01:10