We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Decent pubs near Albert Dock

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
119 posts
242 reviews
Save Topic
Decent pubs near Albert Dock

I'll be down in Liverpool this Saturday night - staying right next to Albert Dock but looking for some traditional pubs to go to with a good atmosphere at night rather than the expensive younger wine bars etc I've been told there are at Albert Dock. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Willing to walk into the city centre if thats the best bet? Where is good in there?

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
268 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Decent pubs near Albert Dock

Matt is the pub expert, and I bow to his knowledge ; My favorite is a 15 minute walk from Albert Dock on (I think) Button St, just round the corner from Mathew Street "The White Star". Also not too far from you is Liverpool One Bridewell (Google it for map) its very nice.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
15,771 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Decent pubs near Albert Dock

That's another vote for the White Star and Liverpool One Bridewell which is the brewery tap for Liverpool One Brewery.

On the main road by Albert Dock is the Baltic Fleet. It's at the Echo Arena/big wheel end. Walk past the Ibis hotel and the pub is on the left - you can't miss is as it looks like a ships bow and the chimneys look like funnels. Not only is it the brewery tap for Wapping Brewery, but they brew the ale in the cellar of the pub.

I'd give the Pumphouse pub at the Albert Dock a miss. It's overpriced and is only really any good in the summer when you can sit outside by the dockside with a pint on a nice day.

There's a couple of pubs on Dale Street which starts by the Town Hall. Thomas Rigbys is an Okells Brewery pub, and around the corner at the top of Moorfields is the Lion Tavern which is right next to thr Railway.

Further down Dale Street is the Vernon Arms which sells a good selection of real ales. I'd normally recommend the Ship & MItre real ale pub at the far end of Dale Street, but on a Friday and Saturday night it gets very busy and attracts a younger crowd. But it's worth going to on Sunday lunch time for hair of the dog ! ;-)

liverpool
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Decent pubs near Albert Dock

15 min walk to the Philharmonic pub in the city.... worth a visit .. check out reviews on tripadvisor.... approx £4 in a taxi

Edited: 04 February 2012, 20:43
Wales, United...
Level Contributor
423 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Decent pubs near Albert Dock

Hi all, following this pub thread, i'm interested why no one here mentions the "grapes" or "ye crack" i thought they were old traditional pubs with a Beatles link ?? Am i missing something ?

I have a list of the pubs you locals use, and nobody mentions the above pubs.

I don't want to waste my time going to those two old boozers i mentioned if they've been turned into karaoke fun pubs selling fizzy beer at top end prices.

Due to travel myself next monday, got most things sorted now.

Thanks again Alf.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
15,771 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Decent pubs near Albert Dock

Ye Cracke on Rice Street is still a great little locals pub with a good range of real ales so I'd still recommend going there.

As for the Grapes on Mathew Street - I think it's always been a bit of a karaoke pub; it definately is on a Sunday afternoon when local radio DJ Pete Price takes over. It sells the usual range of bog standard drinks on tap but no real ales, but it's not overly expensive. It has bouncers on the door on a Friday and Saturday night which is a turn-off for me !

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
15,771 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Decent pubs near Albert Dock

Forgot you were coming up during the week Alf, so I'd pop into the Grapes for a quick drink during the day time. Not really worth hanging around for long though, maybe if you meet Sam Leach and have your photo taken "in the seat where the Bealtes sat", then I'd head off to a decent pub ! ;-)

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
423 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Decent pubs near Albert Dock

Thanks Matt, may give the grapes a miss, and try ye cracke, among some of the others suggested

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
15,771 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Decent pubs near Albert Dock

Alf , you should also try Doctor Duncans on St Johns Lane behind the back of St Georges Hall.

Plus the Dispensary on Renshaw Street which is just along from Lime Street and the Adelphi hotel. It's been Liverpool & District CAMRA pub of the year 2 years in a row.

Around the corner up Leece Street past the bombed out church is the Roscoe Head on Roscoe Street (post office is on the corner). Continue up the hill to Hardman Street and on the left is the Fly In The Loaf, an Okells pub well worth checking out.

DIrectly oppsite the Fly In The Loaf is Pilgrim Street (Lili Bizarre fancy dress shop is on corner). Walk down Pilgrim Street (you'll see the Anglican Cathdral in front of you) and towards the end on the right is the Pilgrim pub. It's okay in there and they serve real ales but it tends to attract a more studenty crowd.

Ye Cracke is on Rice Street which is on your left just before you get to the Pilgrim.

Once you've finished in Ye Cracke turn left up Rice Street. If you want to check out the Belvedere pub cross over Hope Street and walk up Falkner Street. The Belvedere is 100m on the left once you get past the row of cafes and restaurants.

Or just go straight to the Phiharmonic pub which is on the opposite corner to the Philharmonic Hall at the junction of Hope Sreet, Myrtle Street and Hardman Street.

It's all downhill back into the city centre from there ! ;-)

Liverpool England
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Decent pubs near Albert Dock

Just to add my two pence, next to Rigbys is Hackins Hey which has the Hole in the wall pub.

Down by the ship and mitre on dale street is the Excelsoir which has had a lovley refurb and does good bar food also the rose and crown in Cheapside opposite the old Main Bridewell.

If you go up to Hope street araea then walk along clarence street to junction parliament street, just on the left is Peter Kavanaghs pub, now thats a historic pub frozen in time.

Edited: 05 February 2012, 20:02
Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
15,771 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Decent pubs near Albert Dock

Yes johnsayers, a big thumbs up for Peter Kavanaghs (on Egerton Street off Catharine Street).

And also yes, the Excelsior on Dale Street (next to the Ship & Mitre) is a well decent pub.

In fact, I was in the Excelsior yesterday after work. They have good beer, they show the footy, have no riff-raff and it ain't expensive ! ;-)