We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time to catch train after Liverpool match

Which Liverpool hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Albany, New York
Level Contributor
288 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Time to catch train after Liverpool match

I am trying to figure out how much time it will take me to catch a train at Lime Street station after a Liverpool match. The match will be on Saturday August 25 at 15:00. Presumably it will end just before 17:00, and the stadium will almost certainly be filled to capacity (it's against Manchester City).

How long will the following items take?

1. Exiting Anfield (not sure how well the stadium handles large crowds)

2. Getting to my hotel via public transport to pick up my bags. It's the Days Inn on James Street, near Albert Dock (I will have already checked out).

3. Getting to Lime Street from the hotel, again via public transport

I would prefer not to take taxis, and I realize that the crowds leaving Anfield at the same time will likely make for a slow process. There are two of us traveling together and we're quite mobile (long walks and standing are not an issue).

Is it possible to have an "open return" ticket so we can take any train that evening? (I admit I'm not entirely sure what "open return" means in the British rail system.) This will be a return trip from London; we will arrive in Liverpool on Friday morning. If I could book a specific train on Friday morning and "any train" on Saturday that would be ideal, but I'm open to other options (rail passes, etc).

Liverpool
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
2,306 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Time to catch train after Liverpool match

Today it has been confirmed via LFC web site, this game will now be played on Sunday.26.Aug.2012

Kick off at 4.00pm

The game will be shown live on Sky sports

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
288 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Time to catch train after Liverpool match

Thanks for the follow up!

I did book directly through Virgin Trains. When I try to cancel my existing reservation it says I cannot change or cancel an 'advanced' fare. Do I need to call them? Would National Rail be of any help? (For £200, I'm willing to jump through hoops and act out the "dumb tourist" schtick, maybe even cry if necessary :) )

13. Re: Time to catch train after Liverpool match

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 05 July 2012, 12:32
Edited: 05 July 2012, 12:32
Albany, New York
Level Contributor
288 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Time to catch train after Liverpool match

Getting back to the original question of how long it takes to get from the game to the train station...

The game will likely end at 17:45 or 18:00. I would like to make the 19:48 train if possible. Is that reasonable? If possible, I would stow our luggage at the station so I could go directly from Anfield to Lime Street. Otherwise I will have to take the 20:48 train, the last one.

liverpool
Level Contributor
1,101 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Time to catch train after Liverpool match

the game will end at 18:00...it would take you approx 30/45 mins to get back into the city... the easiest and quickest would be to walk from the ground in the general direction of the city centre... after about 10/mins or so you will come across many black taxis making there way towards the ground ( you may be lucky and get one right outside)... you are allowed to flag/wave then down if their yellow for hire sign is illuminated... it will cost approx £7 back to your hotel or lime st station(10min journey approx)....you will have ample time to make the 19.48 train i believe...... i notice that virgin are offering £12 one way to london euston on the later train(20.48)... good luck

Edited: 05 July 2012, 18:31
Liverpool
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
2,306 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Time to catch train after Liverpool match

You will have almost 2 hours, you'll have plenty of time to catch your train @ 19.48

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
128 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Time to catch train after Liverpool match

kick off and date changed

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
288 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Time to catch train after Liverpool match

@lynnloulou Yes, it changed to Sunday at 16:00, as noted above

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
13,939 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Time to catch train after Liverpool match

What train ticket do you have - and try and be accurate - it will say exactly what it is on the ticket !?

If you are eligible for a refund their will be £10 (or whatever) admin fee and it can take up to 30 days for the refund to come through because you have to do it through the train company head office.

There is a left luggage office at Lime Street; BUT according to their website http://www.left-baggage.co.uk/locations.php they are closed on Sunday !

And the info from purdydog is still vaild - you can still get a single from Liverpool Lime Street to London Euston for £12 on the 20.48 train on Sun 26th August.

Good luck ! ;-)

20. Re: Time to catch train after Liverpool match

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2013, 00:47