We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips from Liverpool

Cannobio...
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Day trips from Liverpool

Hi everyone!

i'm planning to come to Liverpool this weekend and I'm wondering if there are cities near Liverpool, I would go there by bus, that couldn't be missed. Obviously nothing too far away because I wanted to leave after breakfast and return for dinner.

Thanks

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,636 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trips from Liverpool

Manchester is only 35 miles away.

Chester isn't far either.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,574 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trips from Liverpool

York is an easy day trip

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
355 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trips from Liverpool

Chester, Southport are easily reached on the Merseyrail network and its cheap too..

Manchester can be done on the train or national express...

Chester is a must imo

Little Sutton...
Level Contributor
2,254 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trips from Liverpool

Agree on Chester,Chester Zoo is quite superb,the First Bus no.1 service runs to Chester from Liverpool,stopping at Chester Zoo which has robot dinosaurs on view at present.

The same bus will also take you(en route to Chester)to Cheshire Oaks Retail Park in Ellesmere Port,also home to the National Waterways Museum & Blue Planet Aquarium.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
17,262 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trips from Liverpool

Buy an All Area Saveaway ticket for £4.70 and go to Chester on the train.

The train takes about 40 minutes and the bus takes 1.5 hours.

You can not use the All Area Saveaway to go all the way the Chester on the bus, only on the train.

Little Sutton...
Level Contributor
2,254 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trips from Liverpool

The train certainly is quicker but check before you travel because on some Sundays they do engineering work & the trains are replaced by buses.

Also the train station in Chester is some walk from the town centre,there is usually a bus that will run you there.

Cannobio...
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trips from Liverpool

Thank you all! I went to Chester and it was very nice.

bye guys.

Little Sutton...
Level Contributor
2,254 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trips from Liverpool

Nice one!

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trips from Liverpool

Catch the train from Lime Street, Moorfields or James street merseyrail stations and get a return ticket to Chester, its a 40 minute journey,Chester is a tourist magnet and is a compact 'walkable' city with great shops, restaurants and pubs. I believe the price for a return ticket is around £7.00

Edited: 31 July 2012, 13:10
Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
17,262 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trips from Liverpool

"Catch the train from Lime Street, Moorfields or James street merseyrail stations and get a return ticket to Chester, its a 40 minute journey,Chester is a tourist magnet and is a compact 'walkable' city with great shops, restaurants and pubs. I believe the price for a return ticket is around £7.00"

No, it's only £4.70 with an All Area Saveaway, which you can also buy in Chester to come to Liverpool on the train. ;-)