We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideas for News years eve in Liverpool...?

Wrexham
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Ideas for News years eve in Liverpool...?

My husband and I (late 20's/early 30's) are thinking of staying the night in Liverpool on New Years Eve but we're just wondering what entertainment we could expect down Matthew Street or Concert Square for example? Which pubs have the best atmosphere but dont charge the earth just to be in there.....

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Concert Square
Concert Square
92 Reviews
Liverpool, UK
Liverpool, England
Level Contributor
368 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ideas for News years eve in Liverpool...?

To be honest - I would never recommend Mathew Street or Concert Square at night - time - very rowdy! All though some people do like those places - depends what kind of experience you are looking for?

What about 'Alma de Cuba' - a glamorous bar/restaurant on Seel Street. Certainly at weekends - they have dancers and entertainment including a 'flower petal release'.

You could check out the website of 'Leaf' on Bold Street - they have an upstairs venue, as well as the down stairs cafe - and may be putting on an event?

What sort of experience are you looking for? I'll try to advise better once I know.

But whatever you decide, book your tickets well in advance - and your accommodation.

Mentioned in this post
Mathew Street
Mathew Street
1,134 Reviews
Liverpool, UK
Concert Square
Concert Square
92 Reviews
Liverpool, UK
Leaf
Leaf
1,398 Reviews
Liverpool, UK
Bold Street
Bold Street
83 Reviews
Liverpool, UK
Wrexham
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ideas for News years eve in Liverpool...?

To be honest we'd be happy with a good pub/bar where we can dance drink and generally have a big of a laugh.

What is the atmosphere like on new years eve in Matthew street. / concert square?

Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
18,230 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ideas for News years eve in Liverpool...?

Some of the bars around Concert Square and Mathew Street are okay during the day.

I often go to Envi on Fleet Street (by Concert Sq) to watch the footy, and some of the other places like the Shipping Forecast, Woodys, the Swan, and even Walkabout and Lloyds are fine.

Same with the Grapes, White Star, Glass Onion, Cavern Pub (and even the awful Cavern Club) around Mathew Street.

But I avoid both Concert Square and Mathew Street in the evening, especially at the weekend, and they are the last places I would go to for New Years Eve.

If you like very rowdy, un-organised chaos then go for it.

If you have half a brain then stay well away. ;-)

Edited: 24 September 2012, 21:19
Mentioned in this post
Concert Square
Concert Square
92 Reviews
Liverpool, UK
Mathew Street
Mathew Street
1,134 Reviews
Liverpool, UK
The Shipping Forecast
The Shipping Forecast
264 Reviews
Liverpool, UK
Walkabout
Walkabout
91 Reviews
Liverpool, UK
The Grapes
The Grapes
67 Reviews
Liverpool, UK
Cavern Pub
Cavern Pub
378 Reviews
Liverpool, UK
The Cavern Club
The Cavern Club
12,051 Reviews
Liverpool, UK
Liverpool, England
Level Contributor
368 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ideas for News years eve in Liverpool...?

Younger people frequent Concert Square - teens/twenties. It has the same reputation as 'The Bigg Market' in Newcastle.

You could try it out, but then have some other venues in nearby streets on stand-by, such as Alma De Cuba, Leaf, The Shipping Forecast....

Mathew Street attracts a slightly older crowd - there are venues where you can do karaoke, "have a laugh" - or just a drink.

Mentioned in this post
Concert Square
Concert Square
92 Reviews
Liverpool, UK
Alma De Cuba
Alma De Cuba
400 Reviews
Liverpool, UK
Leaf
Leaf
1,398 Reviews
Liverpool, UK
The Shipping Forecast
The Shipping Forecast
264 Reviews
Liverpool, UK
Mathew Street
Mathew Street
1,134 Reviews
Liverpool, UK
merseyside
Level Contributor
4,650 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ideas for News years eve in Liverpool...?

plus all the door staff with their buckets and threatening attitudes for "staff tips"

Wrexham
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ideas for News years eve in Liverpool...?

Thanks everyone for replying!!

A few of you have mentioned this "Alma De Cuba".......never heard of it...??

What's it like???

X

Mentioned in this post
Alma De Cuba
Alma De Cuba
400 Reviews
Liverpool, UK
Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
18,230 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ideas for News years eve in Liverpool...?

Alma de Cuba is in an old Polish Church and is popular with Wags and Z-list celebs. I have actually been a few times during the day for a drink, and also in the evening to see a few bands.

I expect that like most venues it will be ticket-only on New Years Eve

Probably best to have a look on their website to get an idea of what it's like, and also to see when tickets for New Years Eve go on sale (which they aren't at the moment).

http://www.alma-de-cuba.com/homepage/

You could also try Igloo on the other side of the road to Alma de Cuba. They are taking bookings for New Years Eve - but Igloo is definately not a pub and they have a strict dress code so that might put you off.

http://www.iglooliverpool.co.uk/home

And if you haven't already got your accomodation booked then start looking now before you are disappointed.

There was actually someone who asked a question on this forum about New Years Eve last year. They stayed at Days Inn hotel which is close to Mathew Street. They actually ended up staying in the hotel bar, which they said was empty, to see in the New Year.

If you stay at the Days Inn, as well as being close to Mathew Street, you have lots of other pubs on your doorstep such as The Liverpool, Slaughterhouse, Crocodile, and on Dale Street there are loads of pubs.

The bars at the Albert Dock are a 5 minute walk away, or you could just buy a bottle of bubbly and cross the road over to the Pier Head alongside the river and see in the New Year from there.

P.S. I've just checked and Days Inn have no rooms available for New Years Eve !

Edited: 29 September 2012, 09:51
Mentioned in this post
Mathew Street
Mathew Street
1,134 Reviews
Liverpool, UK
Pier Head
Pier Head
1,603 Reviews
Liverpool, UK
Wrexham
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ideas for News years eve in Liverpool...?

Thanks so much for your help. Was in concert square on the weekend just gone and can't see it being my thing for new years eve.

Are there any hotels round Liverpool that host themed nights or dinner/dance packages that don't cost the earth?

north east
Level Contributor
12 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ideas for News years eve in Liverpool...?

we are a couple in our 40s about 5 years ago we went round mathew street and concert square and had an absolute fantastic time, these comments have helped because we are going to Liverpool for new years eve and we will be going round mathew street and concert square again.

happy new year!

and whats the matter with the Bigg Market in Newcastle, they are proper pubs?

Edited: 13 October 2012, 18:09
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ideas for News years eve in Liverpool...?

the problem with new years night anywhere is there will always be a premium to pay... staff tend to be paid double or even treble time in some places ... that includes doorstaff,djs,bar staff,hotel staff etc,etc.... taxis will be on double time as well....all adds up to the prices being hiked.

www.sirthomashotel.co.uk has a full night package for £140p/p including, champagne on arrival, 6 course meal,live music,dj room overnight with breakfast etc....the food tends to good here and the entertainment is good as well,it is a sort of small boutiquey type of place but the rooms are nothing special (very central ) i doubt if you will find cheaper elsewhere for the same package good luck

Edited: 13 October 2012, 18:44