We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving To Liverpool

Which Liverpool hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Moving To Liverpool

Hi, I am moving to Liverpool next year as a student but wont be living in student accomodation because i have a family.

can anyone advise on nice areas to move to or look at and which ones I should avoid? also which nice areas are close to john moores university?

people who live there should be able to give good advice!

thankyou :)

Liverpool England
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving To Liverpool

What is your budget, what type of house do you need, rent or buy. Do you want City Centre or suburbs, your question is a bit general.

John Moores Campus is spread across the City Centre but you dont need to live on top of it as public transport is reasonably good.

Liverpool has dwellings from £1 million plus down to circa £54K and price generally reflects area.

Liverpool, England
Level Contributor
361 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving To Liverpool

I would suggest living in the south of the city; areas such as Aigburth, Mossley Hill, Allerton, certain areas in Wavertree. This area of the city is rich in parks, trees and, depending, exactly where you live - close to the river and Otterspool Promenade. I don't know how old your children are? but there is much in the south to keep young children happy.

You will also find vibrant suburban roads with lots of cafes such as Allerton Rd, Lark Lane. Renting a house off Allerton Rd may be an option too.

I think it is always a good tip to consider living near to a Merseyrail station - so that transport into the city centre is easy and convenient. So, if for example you lived in the Sefton Park area - you could catch the train at St michael's station and be in the city centre within two stops. There are plentiful buses though, if you don't live that close to a station.

Also the above locations mean that you are not too far away from the city centre.

John Moores is a huge institution - which department/building/location will you be in?

If you fancied living in the city centre - then somewhere around Hope Street may be nice - in the 'Canning' area of the city - 'The Georgian Quarter'; but also there are some nice little houses down near the marina too. I take it that you will be renting?

I

Liverpool, England
Level Contributor
361 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moving To Liverpool

Definitely go for the south of the city. There are 'nice' areas in the north too - but too far away from the city centre and the university.

Nice big apartments around Sefton Park in mansion conversions; solid terraces off Allerton Road; there is quite a bit of choice of housing style - and quite a variety of prices - as the poster above says.

If I was going to live in the city centre ( my children have all grown up now though) - i would look around the Georgian area of the city - you may even be able to get a house/ apartment with a garden.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,274 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moving To Liverpool

Hi Melanie, welcome to the forum, hope you will be a regular with questions, the experts on here are amazing.

As said before the south of the city (including Childwall) is considered a nice area with parks and green space but remember Nice does not always equal Genuine. Some of the other areas have their social problems but some of the most genuine and friendly people live there so don't dismiss other places if your budget is restricted.

How old are your children? and have you considered schools for them yet? That may be good starting point.

Edited: 04 October 2012, 10:49
Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
3,356 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moving To Liverpool

How old are your 'family'...??

Do you need schools..etc....

Surly this should be aimed at the place where you are planning to study..

I would not want to comment, even though I was brought up in the 'south studant areas'...and my family still live there...

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moving To Liverpool

Hi, sorry to make the question so general! to answer all your questions;

I want to be renting a 2 bedroom house with a maximum budget of £450-£500 per month.

I want to be within half an hour of travelling to the city centre at the most because I dont have a car.

I have one child (boy) who will be 3 when we move.

I will be studying at the Geography Department but not sure where that is situated yet!

also would really like to live within walking distance of a park.

I am visiting liverpool in 2 weeks so an idea of 2-3 areas to look around would be really helpful :)

thanks for all your replies! x

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Moving To Liverpool

If it's still where it used to be, the Geography Department in in the Roxby Building, which is right on the Southern edge of the campus - probably the best location for someone in your position.

I would look around the areas suggested above (Aigburth, Allerton, Toxteth), which are all around Princes Park and Sefton Park. There are lots of lovely Victorian properties (Georgian too if you want to be even nearer the Uni) - from small terraces with small yards, through to larger ones with a small garden and mansions divided into flats with shared gardens. I don't know what the going rates are for rent, but would a website like Zoopla be able to give this kind of info?

Edited: 05 October 2012, 10:41
Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
3,356 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Moving To Liverpool

Aigburth Road area sounds like the place..

You nay be at the upper end of your rental range...I would look round there.

82 bus link into town ..and on the doorstep of Sefton park

Liverpool
Level Contributor
114 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Moving To Liverpool

Roxby Building belongs to THE University of Liverpool, not John Moores. Their humanities buildings used to be around Tithbarn Street.

I would look at areas around St. Michael's station in Aigburth, though £4-500 is a little tight for there

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
1,983 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Moving To Liverpool

The Georgraphy Department is apparently based in

School of Natural Sciences

James Parson Building

Byrom Street

Liverpool

L3 3AF

Apart from the areas suggested I was thinking Crosby area would be within the max drive distance the OP wants. Friend's children have travelled daily from Southport to that part of the University.