We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ryanair JLA to Palma

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Ryanair JLA to Palma

I've just booked my first flight with Ryanair. I have never flown with them because of the terrible reviews, but I needed to fly out after 4pm and couldn't do it from Manchester. Since booking I keep hearing more and more horror stories. I am flying on Tuesday 16th October. Anyone had a good experience with Ryanair

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
9,840 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ryanair JLA to Palma

I don`t know what "horror stories" you have heard about Ryanair but I have flown with then several times , and am in fact doing so this evening .

I have never had any problems with them . They have the largest fleet of modern ,well maintained planes and have an excellent safety record.

The cabin staff have always been friendly and helpfull.

However , you must stick to their rules about hand luggage weight and size or you may have a problem.

On my last three flights --- in both directions -- nobody checked my hand luggage.

Some people complain about not having an allocated seat . I have always managed to find a seat easily. In fact on two recent flights I got a whole row to myself.

Stop worrying and enjoy your holiday.

And I don`t work for Ryanair !!

Graham

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
3,600 posts
348 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ryanair JLA to Palma

Ryanair, just follow their rules.

Graham may be lucky in the baggage area, but they do check

I piece of hand luggage is that..Not a small case plus your handbag..

ONE PIECE..That must fit their diamentions..

Its a low cost airline..so like getting a bus , with strick rules

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
9,840 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ryanair JLA to Palma

I agree that I have just been lucky,

Sometimes they check luggage very thoroughly and woe betide anyone caught with overweight / oversize bag.

A lot depends how much time they have. They need to get off on time so sometimes they rush you through and have no time to check.

Graham

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ryanair JLA to Palma

I always fly Ryanair, never had a problem yet. Stick to their rules and neither will you. OK you dont get an allocated seat but I've yet to see anyone standing.

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
9,840 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ryanair JLA to Palma

The problem with Ryanair is that you tend to get bad reports about them from people who have never flown with them but just pass on what they have been told by someone else who hasn`t flown with them.

Of course there are bound to be people who have had a problem . An airline , or any business of that size and that many customers, are certain to have some critics.

Graham

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ryanair JLA to Palma

Previous responses are accurate.Stick to the Ryanair rules especially re baggage and you won't have any cause for complaint. If you don't follow the rules they will cane you financially. No concessions made,that's how they make their money.

The in-flight experience isn't good but for what you have paid you won't be expecting individual attention.Seats do not recline-that's good for the person sat behind you.Food and drinks are very expensive.So if you will fancy a snack on the journey buy a Boots sandwich in LJLA before going to the gate.You can buy a gin and tonic onboard and you may get an ice cube in it.But you won't get a slice of lemon.But the flying time to Palma is just over 2 hours so no big deal.

One infuriating bit you will have to get used to. As soon as the plane touches down they play an announcement with a Tally Ho intro about "another Ryanair flight landing on time".

If the bottom line price is right, and it usually is, it is easy to put up with the niggles.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
16,317 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ryanair JLA to Palma

I haven't flown with Ryanair but have flown with Easyjet and Flybe.

All the budget airlines are the same - once you get past the annoying on-line booking process that tries to get you to purchase travel insurance, car hire etc etc, and then check to see what fees have been added on, you have nothing to worry about.

As long as you stick to their baggage rules and make sure you check-in online and print off your boarding card it's all plain sailing !

I think the most recent "horor story " that you might have read about concerning Ryanair is when the Michael O'Leary, the Ryainair CEO, called some customers stupid because they complained that they got charged £300 extra for not printing their boarding cards while they were on holiday in Spain.

On this occasion I actually agree with O'Leary ! ;-)

Edited: 14 October 2012, 13:01
Liverpool England
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ryanair JLA to Palma

As everyone says follow the rules and you wont have any issues, the non allocation of seats is a pain and you will see the husband and wife selfish team who sit in one row, one by window one by aisle to put off others sitting by them, I am tempted, but my wife would kill me, on one occasion to insist on haveing the middle seat thats vacant, as they invariably sit togeher if someone needs the seat.

One good thing the seats dont recline so you dont have some idiot in front of you fully reclined for a two hour flight

Apart from the seat issue everthing else is OK for the price, we have been all over Europe with Ryanair, once to Charlois in Belgium for 99p each.

I have also used the pre paid mastercard and now use the Ryanair cashcard to avoid the booking fees.

Forget what you read use your own judgement.

Liverpool
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
2,506 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ryanair JLA to Palma

I've flown with Ryanair a number of times, mainly to Palma and from several airports in the UK

as other have said, so long as you stick to the rules, everything should be fine

the most common complaints are being charged for either oversized hand luggage (this is growing more and more) and I've witnessed problems with this first hand

what they are doing now is checking more and more peoples bags and if they don't fit into the metal cage then its ££££££ (excess charges) hence the secret is to ensure your hand luggage fits into the cage

the other problem being over weight hold luggage, again I've witnessed problems with this (In Palma on a returning flight to JLA. I witnessed someone check in 3 cases the forth being over weight, and they where requested(well ordered) to remove items, even though the other cases where all underweight and had gone down the shut)

following on from the over weight hold luggage, we always weight are case both at home and prior to checking in at the airport to avoid and problems

Liverpool England
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ryanair JLA to Palma

They have luggage scales for about £1 in Home Bargains and B&M stores