We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chinese restaurant in Liverpool

Which Liverpool hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
95 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Chinese restaurant in Liverpool

Hi

I am looking for an authentic restaurant in Liverpool as I will be visiting next week.

I am Chinese so am looking for Crispy Noodles and Dry Ho Fun like in London Chinatown

Any reccmmendations. I have read good/bad about Mei Mei and Yeut Ben

Any advise would be grateful

Thanks

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
14,548 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chinese restaurant in Liverpool

Around the corner from Yuet Ben is the Arch Chinese Restaurant on Berry Street.

There's also the Big Bowl Noodle Bar on Berry Street.

The New China, also on Berry Street, gets good reviews too.

Or you could try Yums on Bold Street.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
3,392 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chinese restaurant in Liverpool

New Capital in Nelson Street..or any down the bottom end away from the arch...

Have a walk down...

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chinese restaurant in Liverpool

Please, if you're Chinese and looking for authentic Chinese food, don't go to the "all you can eat buffet" places like Yums.

The Arch is quite new, and I've not been, but my gut feel is that it won't be particularly authentic - just the usual China Town stuff aimed at us Westerners.

It will be difficult to find what you are looking for in Liverpool, as most of the places down Nelson St will disappoint you. But the best I have eaten in around there are the Yuet Ben, Mei Mei and Chilli Chilli (standard menu is only standard China Town stuff, but their Sichuan menu is great).

One other place you might want to try is Mabo's. It's only a basic cafe, but they do good roast meat dishes and noodle soups - I'm not expert enough to know if it is genuinely authentic, but I think it is probably more so than most.

The Big Bowl Noodle Bar looks interesting because of a few of their dishes on the menu (eg Hainanese chicken) make me want to try it. But it does dishes from a variety of Asian countries, so that puts me off too - places doing this tend to be less authentic.

One place you may want to look at is on Myrtle Parade. It's called Lao Wei Dao (although it is only written in Chinese above the door). It looks like it's a North Eastern Chinese restaurant, with some Korean influences (I guess that's only natural with Korea being next door). The dishes look very authentic - really unusual ones like spine stew and spicy mudsnail - but I don't know what the standard of cooking is like. They also do a "do it yourself" hotpot. I'm very intrigued by it, and want to give the menu a good going over! It doesn't have a website, but the menu is here: http://www.eatmeal.co.uk/laoweidao/

Not sure which of these do dry ho fun (if any), but you can look at menus online for most of them.

London, United...
Level Contributor
95 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chinese restaurant in Liverpool

Thanks for your advice guys, much appreciated. :)

I see you all from Liverpool, so am going to ask for one more advice.

Best route from London(M62) to Liverpool one Q park on Saturday Lunchtime.

Edge lane then..... Durning road or Grove st TO Parliament street and up Strand st.

or Edge lane to Pembroke round Cureden st/Tunnel? and come downwards?

Thanks

5. Re: Chinese restaurant in Liverpool

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2013, 10:15