We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Liverpool the safest city?

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,278 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Liverpool the safest city?

My Dad said he had read somewhere that Liverpool was voted the safest city. Has anyone else heard this, l am not surprised at all by this, l wouldn't live anywhere else.

Methinks this would be very good for visitors to our city

Edited: 03 November 2012, 23:25
UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Liverpool the safest city?

I have been going into Liverpool most weeks for thirty odd years

I also worked there and never had any trouble at all

I used to work in Manchester and lived there for a while

Never any trouble

Been to London several times again no bother

Newcastle lived there too

Been abroad a few times too

So I cannot comment , although I live nearby , as wherever I go I find that if you expect trouble you will find it, if you behave sensibly and don't take daft risks you will usually be ok

No city is any worse thn any other

Liverpool One of the safest........maybe

One of the best

One of the most interesting

One of the friendliest?

Definitely

Edited: 03 November 2012, 23:46
UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Liverpool the safest city?

"Safest" in what terms? From what type of crime or danger would depend on who you are and your actions to a very large extent. To take a couple of trivial examples, if you dont cycle then even if Liverpool is the most dangerous city in the world for cyclists you wont be affected by that, or if you dont come out of nightclubs at 2am drunk, there is a whole segment of crime thats very unlikely to affect you. Plus of course like any major city it depends exactly where you live and work and travel and at what times of day.

Anyway, how can you "vote" somewhere as the safest city? Its a fact, not an opinion, even if the facts are very dependent upon who you are and your activities. You might as well vote on which city has the tallest buildings, or the most rain !

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Liverpool the safest city?

Its not about hard facts

It's about feeling safe and just as importantly disregarding and discarding prejudice and false impressions

If cities get the tag of " murder capital" of the world, or tagged with phrases like " mean streets of say New York, or the film industry use a particular city as a back drop for a film based on gangsters and violence , or newspapers run articles on inner city crime and lazily just focus on the same city constantly.

then that city gets a bad image and probably a false reputation.

Any visitor could not be blamed for avoiding that city or at least have a sense of trepidation when visiting.

Liverpool was a victim of this false labelling but over the last ten years or more a lot of hard work has gone into shedding the stereo type

It is now a world class destination

Judging by the number of overseas visitors flooding into the area, thanks to Ryanair and Easyjet, then they feel welcome ....and safe

Perhaps someone has taken a survey amongst the hundreds of thousands of visitors and they have said they feel safe in Liverpool

That's great and probably a good reflection.

Edited: 04 November 2012, 09:13
UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Liverpool the safest city?

Its not about hard facts .. It's about feeling safe

====

Eh? So you'd rather people go somewhere where they were actually *less* safe, but *felt* safer???

Or is this intended to mislead people, eg "yes xyz is safer than abc", when facts show it actually isn't? (for whatever type of safety you are talking about)

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Liverpool the safest city?

It is not about misleading people at all

Statistically the crime rates in most major cities is about the same , with some notable exceptions. Mexico City has a higher than most murder rate.

But the murders are between feuding factions

They don't gun down visitors in the city centre, but upon reading articles about this some people might be put off

It is about feeling safe

Being frightened is an emotion

And people are often frightened by intangible and even false causes aren't they?

If you feel threatened even in a place that is in a quiet, has a low crime rate then you won't feel safe regardless of how much others reassure you.

On the other hand if you are confident, take sensible precautions, you might feel safe in a place that has a higher crime rate

It's about how you perceive your surrounding and your threshold of security.

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Liverpool the safest city?

It's clear people feel safer in Liverpool than ever.

The large increase in the number of overseas visitors

The fully booked hotels

The burgeoning restaurant scene

The newly announced cruise terminal

Etc.etc.

Are all hard evidence of this improvement in Liverpools image and feeling of well being experienced by residents and visitors alike.

A great city.

Level Contributor
3,394 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Liverpool the safest city?

Stuff like this is meaningless. Trouble can hit you anywhere, the issue is the person, their behaviour and their mindset not the city

Edited: 04 November 2012, 10:43
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,278 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Liverpool the safest city?

A great city indeed and what a lively debate here.

l have no idea where this info came from but my Dad was very proud to tell me as we have had an undeservedly negative press in the past.

When we have new friends coming to stay from other parts of Britain and around the world they cannot wait to return, that's says it all.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Liverpool the safest city?

It is based on facts there was a question in Parliament about crime rates in the UK. Apparently, out of all the big cities in England, only Newcastle has lower crime rates than Liverpool - here's the link:

mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/liverpool-one-of-t…

Edited: 04 November 2012, 13:13
Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
3,447 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Liverpool the safest city?

Calm down ... Calm down !!!