We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice wine bar/lunch venue

Which Liverpool hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Yorkshire
Level Contributor
201 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Nice wine bar/lunch venue

Hi, never been to Liverpool before. About 12 of us are going , staying at the Adelphi for a1 night Xmas do.

When we arrive , we want to find a nice, classy wine bar to chill & have lunch, before getting ready for the evening.

Is there anywhere like this, near to the Adelphi?

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,786 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice wine bar/lunch venue

Hi YorkshireKellygirl,

welcome to Liverpool

You are spoilt for choice there are plenty of good bars and restaurants that you will be happy with

Here are just a few that might suit your needs

Hanover Street is not far from the Adelphi and it is getting more and more restaurants as part of the redevelopment of that area of town

There are some places along there that might be suitable

such as

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186337-…

Just off Hanover Street

http://www.alma-de-cuba.com/menus/

Or further afield but just a short taxi ride is the Albert Dock

http://www.albertdock.com/food-and-drink/

http://www.panambarliverpool.co.uk/

For a great view of Liverpool

http://www.panoramic34.com/

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186337-…

These are just a few that come to mind, I am sure that others will be posting some others soon

I hope that you have a great time and this will be the first of many visits for you and your friends.

Edited: 06 December 2012, 07:30
Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice wine bar/lunch venue

There aren't many wine bars around these days, but Vinea in the Albert Dock is great. It's a deli and wine bar, where you can buy wines off their shelf and drink them there for a corkage fee and eat charcuterie and cheeses from the deli. Good view of the dock and the new Liverpool Museum. It's just under a mile from the Adelphi, so would be about a 10-15 minute walk, depending how fast you walk!

Salt House Tapas isn't a wine bar, but is the kind of place where you can enjoy a few wines and have a relaxed lunch of tapas. The food is spot on too - one of the best places in the city I reckon. Booking a table would ensure you get to sit together. This is nearer to you, at the junction of Hanover St and Paradise St - about 5-10 mins walk.

You could also try the London Carriage Works on Hope St - a really nice part of the city centre. It's a posh restaurant, but there is also a bar with big sofas where you can have a more relaxed lunch. They serve meals as well as platters of food to share - it's all good stuff. It's about a 10 minute walk.

I don't know Hanover St Social, but it may be what you're after. It gets mixed reviews on TA, but, while these forums are useful, I think TA reviews need to be taken with a pinch of salt - particularly when it comes to food.

merseyside
Level Contributor
4,650 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice wine bar/lunch venue

Iwould suggest The Hub on Hanover Street or Salt House tapas which is opposite they are under the same ownership and both offer nice food/ambience in a central location

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
14,236 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice wine bar/lunch venue

Or you could try Lunya.

Walk down Ranelagh Street which is directly opposite the Adelphi and continue down Hanover Street, and when you get to BBC Radio Merseyside turn right down College Lane.

http://www.lunya.co.uk/index.php

liverpool
Level Contributor
1,109 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nice wine bar/lunch venue

hi there

A 10min walk or short taxi ride( black hackney taxi's take 5 people ...and are available outside your hotel total £5/6) you will find www.thelivingroom.co.uk/location/liverpool or bar/grill individualrestaurants.com/bar-and-grill/live… both these venues have a bit of class about them with good food and excellent service....be aware though you will need to book a table as there will be many people having their xmas party lunch, especially on the Thursday/Fridays in the next couple of weeks.

Have a great time !!

Edited: 06 December 2012, 14:20
Liverpool
Level Contributor
269 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nice wine bar/lunch venue

Another suggestion is the quarter:

http://www.thequarteruk.com/

Would probably need to book and is a short 5min taxi or walk away.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nice wine bar/lunch venue

Sunndays - the Hub isn't run by the same owners as Salt House Tapas, it is owned by Bistro Qui? Ltd, who run Bistro Franc, Jacques, Pierre etc.

I like the Bistros, but I'd say that Salt House Tapas is more than a couple of notches above them on the food quality stakes (and more expensive as a result). I've not eaten at the Hub yet, and it's probably fine, but I wouldn't put it in the category of a "classy wine bar" that the OP is after.

merseyside
Level Contributor
4,650 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nice wine bar/lunch venue

mcfarrag beg to differ they also own the hanover social club maybe diff companies but same overall owner

liverpool
Level Contributor
1,109 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nice wine bar/lunch venue

At the Liverpool One shopping centre (5/10 min walk from adelphi is www.harveynichols.com/beautybazarr which has a champagne /cocktail bar called WOW.....This is a place worth a look , very nice, but only small though ,probably only holds about 30

Liverpool, England
Level Contributor
363 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nice wine bar/lunch venue

You could either head up The hill to' Hope Street' as many have said - and have drinks at the London Carriage Works (nice but expensive), or head down to Castle Street and have drinks at 'The Bar & Grill' , or 'The Noble House' on Brunswick street - just off Castle Street.

Don't expect too much of The Adelphi Hotel itself - very faded, albeit grand.