We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

san Carlo is it worth a visit???

Blackpool
Level Contributor
10 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
san Carlo is it worth a visit???

Hi last question about restaurants. Ive planned a surprise birthday trip for my hubby and I next weekend. We love Italian restaurants. How much are the meals roughly? There are no prices on the website. Is it good or would we just feel we haven't got as much money as everyone else? Thanks in advance.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
16,813 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: san Carlo is it worth a visit???

Sorry, never been there...

...but Steven Gerrard and Louis Suarez etc go there.

Maybe it is affordable; but they might be cheapskates, I don't know...... ;-p

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: san Carlo is it worth a visit???

I've only been there once for a snack, but it was very good, and I have heard good reports on the quality of the food from people who know what they're talking about!

It's difficult to give you an accurate idea of prices, but it's not cheap. Obviously pizzas are a fair bit cheaper than main meals such as sea bass, for example, but they will be more expensive than pizzas in other Italian places. I would guess that a three course meal would set you back about 40 quid a head without drinks - but that depends on what you order.

The place itself is very beautifully done out - very modern and funky, but not soulless as other places can be. And yes, footballers love it ...

I hate places that don't advertise their prices though - and I believe they don't have prices on the menus outside either. It makes it really difficult for people like us who can't just walk in somewhere regardless of costs - but maybe that's what they want!

Wetherby
Level Contributor
209 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: san Carlo is it worth a visit???

While restaurant prices do not have to be advertised they must be displayed....(the following from TheSite.org is a great plain English summary of the situation)

The law provides that you should be given a chance to check the prices before you get to your table, as well as having a menu at the table. They must make clear, or show as prominently as the food prices, any minimum charge or service charge. If these charges aren't there and on your menu and you were not otherwise told, you can refuse to pay. They are not part of your contract. If they are displayed you must pay then unless they are unreasonable for the standard of the restaurant.

Edited: 07 February 2013, 11:47
Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: san Carlo is it worth a visit???

I didn't say that prices weren't on the menus and were not available inside the restaurant, I said that, as far as I remember, there are no prices on the menu displayed outside the restaurant.

merseyside
Level Contributor
4,650 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: san Carlo is it worth a visit???

got to display prices by law ,personally far better places to eat

Liverpool, England
Level Contributor
366 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: san Carlo is it worth a visit???

I'm vegetarian, and a main course will cost about £9 - £10 at San Carlo. it is not the cheapest, but it is not prohibitively expensive either.

It is quite glamorous, lively and entertaining.

Blackpool
Level Contributor
10 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: san Carlo is it worth a visit???

Hi where would you recommend?

Liverpool, England
Level Contributor
366 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: san Carlo is it worth a visit???

If you are looking for something slightly less expensive, then you could try 'Piccolino' - just around the corner on Cook Street, or else 'The Olive' - just a few doors down on Castle Street - both perfectly fine!

If you are interested in something really 'down home' and authentic - you could try 'Franco's Rstorante' - also on Castle Street.

9. Re: san Carlo is it worth a visit???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2014, 06:16