We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South Road,Waterloo-decent places for lunchtime drink/snack

Which Liverpool hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
South Road,Waterloo-decent places for lunchtime drink/snack

I want to arrange a lunchtime midweek meet-up with my cousin midway (or nearly) between us on Merseyrail Liverpool-Southport line. I haven't been in South Road for donkeys years but Waterloo Station and South Road would be very convenient.

We both drink draught lager especially premium brands and would like a sandwich or a light one plate meal.Price is not important, the comfort/ ambience is.I have read on this forum that South Road has been gentrified in recent years and I hope some forum members have personal recommendations they would pass on.Please.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
13,879 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: South Road,Waterloo-decent places for lunchtime drink/snack

I was going to suggest the Old Bank or Stamps Too, but I've only ever been to those pubs for real ale so not sure what lager they sell and not sure what food they do as I don't go to pubs for food.

You are probably best heading to the new(ish) Wetherspoons. Turn left out of the station and it's on the other side of the railway bridge before you get to the Old Bank.

merseyside
Level Contributor
4,650 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: South Road,Waterloo-decent places for lunchtime drink/snack

know its not midway bur Birkdale village would suit you down to the ground right outside station you have some great places , for a drink , nice lager nice food the tea rooms is great , or a fabulous lunch Bistro Verite

there are several other good bars/restaurants as well

Liverpool
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
2,300 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: South Road,Waterloo-decent places for lunchtime drink/snack

as a local, agree with matt's comment above 100%

would suit ideally

either option is only a short stroll out of Waterloo station

if you fancy real ale etc, Stamps 2 would be the place, pretty certain its won some awards from Camra etc

Edited: 27 March 2013, 21:22
Liverpool
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
2,300 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: South Road,Waterloo-decent places for lunchtime drink/snack

beside several pub's

there are a number of restaurants that cater for various cuisine either side of Waterloo station

or if you fancy a short walk down to C.L.A.C

Crosby Lakeside Adventure Centre

you can get a meal (and a drink) there overlooking the mersey sea front, assuming the waether's good

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: South Road,Waterloo-decent places for lunchtime drink/snack

Thanks so far.Wetherspoons looks favourite at this stage although other Wetherspoons I have been to have only low prices of food and drink to attract.The one in Southport is rough.Think if I went into a real ale pub and asked for 2 pints of lager I would be forcibly ejected.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
13,879 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: South Road,Waterloo-decent places for lunchtime drink/snack

Agree with the sentiments about Wetherspoons - I've been to some awful ones, but also some really good ones that are better than "proper" pubs.

Wetherspoons worth visiting that spring to mind are: The Punchbowl, York; The Imperial, Exeter; The Metropolitan Bar, Marylebone (London) and the Waggon & Horses, Alfreton.

The Queens Picture House in Waterloo looks nice from the photos on the 'spoons website jdwetherspoon.co.uk/home/pubs/the-queens-pic… and me and some work colleagues actually nearly went there last night but stayed in Liverpool city centre instead for a few drinks.

One 'spoons to avoid is the Welkin on Whitechapel. :-/

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
13,879 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: South Road,Waterloo-decent places for lunchtime drink/snack

P.S. I've just looked at the reviews of the The Queens Picture House and it doesn't too very well !

What about Stamps (sister pub of Stamps Too) in Crosby. You could get off at Crosby Merseyrail station and from there it's about a 10 minute walk.

I haven't been to this particular Stamps (yet!) but they definately do food and it's a lot bigger than Stamps Too which has been crammed into a converted shop and, on my last visit, was rough around the edges.

http://www.stampsbar.co.uk/

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: South Road,Waterloo-decent places for lunchtime drink/snack

As I now have an excuse I might do a solo recce of Wetherspoons South Rd ahead of our meet-up.Don't fancy the walk back to Blundellsands and Crosby Station from Stamps after a few pints.Big (but only) problem on Merseyrail is no station or train loos!

Edited: 29 March 2013, 11:21
wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: South Road,Waterloo-decent places for lunchtime drink/snack

matt I saw from New Brighton Forum you had been to South Road, Waterloo 'spoons since latest post on this thread.What did you think? Is it worth spending 3 hours in there midweek lunchtime with female company for a few pints of lager (not real ale) and a sandwich/snack? Doesn't have to be smart-clean and presentable with decent types as clients would be excellent.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: South Road,Waterloo-decent places for lunchtime drink/snack

I can answer my own question for the benefit of others. I met my cousin today for lunch in Wetherspoons on South Road. Called The Queens Picture House. I can remember all those years ago when it was a (dive) cinema.

Very impressed.Spacious,clean,light and airy.Good decor a very large boozer.Lots of tables,the area close to the massive bar was a bit dark and satanic but lots of space beyond..Best quality Gents I have ever seen in a pub.Immaculate.

Clientele not as downmarket as other 'spoons places I have been in. Reasonable choice of lagers Carling,Stella,San Miguel,Amstel(wish I had spotted that before ordering our 2 pts Carling)),Heineken,Fosters.Prices very fair.Think the Carling was £2.40.

Food not that good.Cousin had a salad. I had a cheese and tomato panini.Not cheap at over £5. It was OK but it was lukewarm when served as were the chips that accompanied it. The food wouldn't entice me back but the place would.