We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus to Carisbrooke Road area

Auckland
Level Contributor
155 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Bus to Carisbrooke Road area

Hi, while in Liverpool I wanted to go and have a quick look at the area (Carisbrooke Road) that I used to live in almost 50 years ago, but a taxi to and from the area looks a bit expensive. I will be staying at an apartment at the waterfront (Quebec Quay), is there a bus service I could use to get to say the "Hale Road / County Road" area and walk from there?

merseyside
Level Contributor
4,650 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus to Carisbrooke Road area

seven or eight quid each way not expensive if you get private hire like delta etc

Wicklow, Ireland
Level Contributor
231 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus to Carisbrooke Road area

20 or 21 Bus from Queens Sq bus station to County Rd, there is a stop just past the traffic lights at the start of County Rd which I think is quite close to the road you are looking for, I would say anyone on the bus will give you the heads up when you need to get off, fare is about £3.60 for a Dayrider ticket which is return price.

Auckland
Level Contributor
155 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus to Carisbrooke Road area

Thanks for that, I checked out the route for the 20 & 21 bus, given where we're staying, would we be better to pick up the bus at James Street instead of Queens Sq?

Wicklow, Ireland
Level Contributor
231 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus to Carisbrooke Road area

I'm sorry I dont know Liverpool city centre very well, but I do know that bus route as its the one I have to use when I visit a relative and I go straight from Airport to Queens Sq.

However it makes sense I think as James St. is nearer the Dock area to take the bus from there, I'm just not familiar with the different Dock areas and Quay etc. The DE's on here are very good and if one dosent see your post maybe Private Message them if you are in a hurry.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
3,636 posts
354 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus to Carisbrooke Road area

Queens Sq is a two min walk to James Street...depends on the weather..lol

Auckland
Level Contributor
155 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus to Carisbrooke Road area

I'm sure when I lived there 50 years ago it was ALWAYS fine (maybe there's also memory loss, ha ha)

merseyside
Level Contributor
4,650 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus to Carisbrooke Road area

not trying to scare you but the Carisbrooke Road area is vastly different than 50 years ago especialy county road end,so dont carry any valuables like good camera etc with you in fact carry as little as possible that says tourist

Liverpool England
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bus to Carisbrooke Road area

If you visit the area in daytime and just walk around you will be fine, its a poor working and non working class area so just like any other place like that in the world you don't walk around in Bermuda shorts and a telephoto lens camera carrying a tourist map, but if you are just looking around the area I cannot see an issue.

I have just googled it on street view to refresh my memory and I am sure your visit will be absolutely fine.

Edited: 14 May 2013, 11:41
Wicklow, Ireland
Level Contributor
231 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bus to Carisbrooke Road area

Just back from Liverpool today and realised I pass Carisbrooke Rd every time I run to Argos, and I have done it so many times that I have figured out the traffic lights system and try to beat the lights each time. My daughter lives quite close and we have been helping her and 2 housemates furnish and decorate her home. I personally dont feel threatened or uneasy around the area, but it is a poor area and there seems to be a lot of unemployment, there is a drug problem also and I have seen methadone dispensed in two chemists there, but that is our world now and its everywhere, all we can do is be vigilant and keep our wits about us.

I was in a hurry coming back and got a taxi from outside B&M on County Rd, only took half an hour, cost £17

to JLA, and for once didnt take West Derby Rd which is a plus.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
717 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bus to Carisbrooke Road area

Welcome back to the Carisbrooke Road area!

Ignore the naysayers.. I was born and raised in Roxburgh St, and have lived in the area ever since.

It's not London's Oxford Street, but County Road can still be "colourful" on a sunny day. Pretty women, nice shopping.. there's a Home & Bargain and a Heron.. plenty of bargains to be had. I sound like I'm taking the mickey, and I suppose my tongue is in my cheek.. but it's a typical working class area with a LOT of good people still here. The Kwik Save closed down a few years ago though.. as did Crease's Record shop ;) A lot of the dairies and cinemas have been converted into business's and houses.. back in the day it seemed dairies were everywhere in this area!

To be honest, there are always tourists floating about.. they come to the area to see Everton and Liverpool FC and stand around in groups taking photo's. There are also a lot of Poles and Latvians etc living in the area.. it's quite cosmopolitan at times!