We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Liverpool vs Newcastle for beaches in summer?

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
19 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Liverpool vs Newcastle for beaches in summer?

Ok, I'm planning my summer holiday and I need some beach time! If I can't make it to both then I want to pick the best one obviously. Which is better for sun soaking and maybe some body surfing? Also, how is the weather end of July to mid August? If I spend 3-4 days is that enough for one or both places?

If you have any must see places or good places to check out while there that would be helpful too :D thanks y'all!

Level Contributor
18,926 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Liverpool vs Newcastle for beaches in summer?

May be john but you don't see (m)any in the sea (apart from paddlers) at Formby and Freshfield now even on warm days. And on some days of onshore winds you get an unappealing coffee-coloured foam washing in on the tide surface at the Lifeboat Road beach at Formby. Whatever the analysis says I wouldn't risk it.With or without wetsuit.Being a resident of Freshfield in my infancy we used to spend many summer days on the beach there (anyone remember the Pine Tree Cafe?) and didn't think twice then about swimming in the sea.And we walked there.

Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
5,075 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Liverpool vs Newcastle for beaches in summer?

The main reason that you don't see many people swimming is the shallowness of the water.

The beaches around Liverpool are very flat and the distance between th low water mark and the high water mark can be hundreds of yards.

Therefore when the tide is in you would have to walk out fifty metres just to cover your knees

The brown foam Wirral Scouse refers to his a common occurring event on many beaches in thebworld, also known as spume.

Edited: 17 May 2013, 23:42
Level Contributor
1,944 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Liverpool vs Newcastle for beaches in summer?

If it's a beach holiday the OP is after I don't understand why it isn't a lot easier to get to the Med from Prague than it would be from here. You don't even have to fly but perhaps I'm missing something.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
3,725 posts
357 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Liverpool vs Newcastle for beaches in summer?

I saw an offer the other day on one of the voucher sites for water skiing..off the back off the Mersey Ferries !!

That's all you need now, holiday complete !

35. Re: Liverpool vs Newcastle for beaches in summer?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 May 2014, 06:17
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question