We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do on Short Liverpool visit

Which Liverpool hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kansas City...
Level Contributor
30 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
What to do on Short Liverpool visit

My husband and I will be in Liverpool for one Friday afternoon (arrive 15:00) and one short Saturday (will leave about 4 p.m.) We want to do a 2 or 3 hour Beatles tour and then try to fit in a couple of other great sites. Would it be remotely possible to squeeze in Antony Gormley's Another Place Friday late afternoon and maybe the Williamson Tunnels before or after our Beatles Tour on Saturday? Can't quite figure out where Crosby Beach or the Tunnels are from posts and maps on Trip Advisor. Will Albert Dock be open or alive with visitors into the evening? Or maybe we should just do the Beatles Tour and then just walk around and enjoy the street scenes and shops and bars. We love urban life and unusual sites. Thanks for any guidance and ideas.

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do on Short Liverpool visit

The Albert Dock never closes but obviously the galleries and shops have daytime hours but the bars are open .the Albert Dock /PierHead area is a pleasant place for an evening stroll, weather permitting.

Yes you can fit in Athony Gormleys statues.but you would need to be up early on the Saturday morning.

Crosby is about five mikes north of Liverpool

A cab would be quicker if you are pushed for time and are happy to pay .

Otherwise you can take the train from Liverpool

www.merseytravel.gov.uk/Pages/Welcome.aspx

…nationalrail.co.uk/service/…dep

I have not used this train for a while, but I am sure other posters will be able to tell younsoon more detailed info.

You would need to set aside about four hours if you go by train. It is at least a twenty minute walk from the station onto the beach.

The Williamson Tunnels are interesting but personally I would say there are better things to do and see if time is limited.they are about a mile from the City Centre.

There are two Cathedrals and the view from the Anglican Cathedral is fantastic.

Most of Liverpools attractions are centred on the waterfront and contained in a relatively small area. So your notion to stay in the city centre and walk about and enjoy the street scenes has some merit.

Down at the Pier Head you will see some great architecture.

You could pop onto a Mersey Ferry for a 'cruise ' on the river.

http://www.merseyferries.co.uk/

There are a couple of very interesting museums in the Pier Head/Albert Dock area, they are free of charge so you can just stroll in and stay as long or as little as you want to.

http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/

There is a Beatles Museum on the Albert Dock

And this Beatles tour gets a good write up.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g186337-…

So I would do the tour on Friday afternoon, then spend the early evening strolling , perhaps nip into one or two of the Liverpool pubs in the city centre and have a meal in one of the many restaurants.

( what type of food do you enjoy, you will find that Liverpool has a wide range available.

Then Saturday morning, up and off to Crosby, back for Lunch and spend the afternoon in the City.

Edited: 04 June 2013, 07:02
UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do on Short Liverpool visit

An evening stroll on Crosby beach on the Friday evening , then a meal in one of the restaurants on South Road would be a good alternative, especially if the weather was dry .

Better to go when the tide is out.

britishbeaches.info/mariners-road-crosby-sef…

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,979 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do on Short Liverpool visit

If you are interested in art then the Walker art gallery in the centre of Liverpool is excellent. One of the best outside London.

And the Lady Lever art gallery at Port Sunlight is excellent too. The whole village is in art deco style , built for the workers at the Lever factories.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g1076967…

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
3,412 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do on Short Liverpool visit

You aiming to do so much in a short period of time , whith attractions that are spread out.

Beatles Museun is at Albert Dock..Mathew Street about 15 mins walk away.

Williamson Tunnels, is of Smithdown Lane , outside the city centre..

Another Place is in the north of Liverpool in a suburb called Crosby,

Matt has given you some detailed info, but it depends on where you are staying as to what will be in easy reach

5. Re: What to do on Short Liverpool visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 04 June 2013, 20:08
Edited: 04 June 2013, 20:08
Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
14,754 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do on Short Liverpool visit

You don't say which Friday and Saturday you plan to visit Liverpool.

The Magical Mystery Tour of the Beatles sights only run at 11.30am and 2pm on Monday to Thursday; so that rules out this tour if you arrive in to Liverpool at 3pm.

There are earlier tours on Saturday at 10.30am, 11.30am and 12.30pm. I wouldn't risk the 2pm tour on Saturday if yo have to leave the city at 4pm.

Check availablity and book tickets here:

https:/…

There are also the Taxi Tours of the Beatles sites and they should be able to accomodate most times of the day, or evening. But you will of course pay a lot more than the bus tour:

http://www.cavernclub.org/private-tours

Other companies other than Cavern City Tours also do the private taxi tours.

Fab Four is one of them: http://fab4tours.co.uk/

As much as I like "Another Place" I wouldn't head there on the Friday straight after you have arrived in Liverpool. You will be compteing with the rush hour hordes on the train, or the rush hour traffic if you choose to take a taxi up there, as everyone heads home for the weekend.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Another_Place

I suppose you could get up early on the Saturday, and head up there, but you would have to make sure you were back into the city centre in time for your Beatles tour.

So much to do, but so little time.

I would just contentrate on the city centre on Friday evening and Saturday morning, then head off on the Beatles tour on Saturday late morning/lunch time.

Perhaps head over to the Anglican Cathedral on Saturday morning in time for when it opens at 9.30am and go to the top of the tower:

liverpoolcathedral.org.uk/visitingevents.aspx

Edited: 04 June 2013, 20:11
Kansas City...
Level Contributor
30 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do on Short Liverpool visit

Matt, This is very helpful Thank you. Am having trouble finding Crosby beach on an Internet map. Any tips? Do you get down on beach and walk among the statues or view them from afar? Any estimates on the cost of a five mile cab ride?

Edited: 05 June 2013, 01:43
Kansas City...
Level Contributor
30 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do on Short Liverpool visit

All these suggestions are great. Thanks to everyone. I just think we must see the Gormley's. We have seen so many Beatles shows, documentaries, etc. Will we see something at the Albert Dock Beatles movie that is unique or unknown? Or maybe it is just really in depth about the Beatles Liverpool beginnings? That would be cool.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
30 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do on Short Liverpool visit

Next 2 questions: Is Albert Dock real touristy (seems like it might be)? Is there another urban area with good restaurants, pubs and maybe boutiques and a good 3-4* hotel? Thanks so much for any ideas and guidance

10. Re: What to do on Short Liverpool visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 05 June 2013, 07:46
Edited: 05 June 2013, 07:46