We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Litter

Which Liverpool hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
The Wirral, UK
Level Contributor
288 posts
198 reviews
Save Topic
Litter

What a shame the litter problem in Liverpool is so,bad. I live on the Wirral and go to Liverpool regularly. On Saturday we had been to visit a friend who is seriously ill in Walton Hospital and decided to go for a meal at Liverpool One. So far so good, however, because the trains were not running through the tunnel we had to get a bus at St. George's Hall. Well the walk there was a disgrace. Once past the environs of Liverpool One and Church Street, the litter was a disgrace. Bottles, cans food cartons, plastic bags, paper, you name it was strewn all over the place. What a bad advert for a glorious city. I have no idea if this is the norm as I usually only visit The main shopping area where litter seems to,be kept to a minimum. Not a good example for,tourists, is it. Where are all the little police when needed?

Solihull
Level Contributor
3,864 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Litter

I am afraid it is not just Liverpool.

I went into the centre of Birmingham on Sunday and because of the hot weather there were far more people out, many eating fast food, or drinking.

The bins were full so people began dumping their rubbish anywhere.

I am not sure the council were prepared for this so I saw nobody from the council emptying bins or clearing up rubbish.

I was so disgusted I took a few photos and posted them on a "Birmingham" related forum on another web site.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,424 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Litter

In Edinburgh the local council had a brilliant idea, lets remove all the rubbish bins from the city center,that way we will save money and folk will take their rubbish home.

well that lasted about 2 weeks and the rubbish bins were reinstated.

It is a big problem for all city centers and councils really need to get their act together and have folk out clearing rubbish and emptying bins at regular intervals.I go to other toursit citie and there does not seem to be this problem,why because they have teams of folk working constatly to keep places clean.

Liverpool, England
Level Contributor
363 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Litter

Street cleanliness does seem to have deteriorated in recent times. Most big cities are struggling with severe budget cuts - and this is, most likely, one of the consequences.

But, yes, people can be real pigs - everywhere!

Rutland, UK
Level Contributor
5,302 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Litter

"Where are all the little police when needed?"

Possibly at Rutland Water. A French friend told me she liked it very much but, inserting a superfluous letter t into the sentence, said she was upset by the midgets. :-)

Edited: 16 July 2013, 11:16
liverpool
Level Contributor
1,109 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Litter

If we had as many:"litter police" as we have traffic wardens we would have the cleanist city in the country !!!

Has anyone been to Crosby /Waterloo lately, there must be a traffic warden every couple of hundred yards !!.... but of course there is money to be made there.... silly me.

6. Re: Litter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 16 July 2013, 20:53
Edited: 16 July 2013, 20:53
Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
14,172 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Litter

Bill Bryson in his book, "Notes From A Small Island", did question many years ago if Liverpool was having a "Festival of Litter".

The blame can't be entirely put on Liverpool City Council though.

I blame the locals, and lots of visitors to the city, who still seem to think that the pavements in the city centre are litter bins!

By the way, the reason that you might have found Liverpool One to be cleaner than the rest of the city centre is that they employ several litter pickers (independent from the council workers) who are constantly picking up the cr*p that people seem to think they are allowed to drop all over the place.

And cig smokers are perhaps the worst culprits !

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
717 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Litter

If there aren't people constantly clearing litter, then it easily accumulates. The answer; a more regular and efficient cleaning service. Too many cutbacks have led to this though.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,858 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Litter

I often wonder why people on community service orders can't assist in this area, at least they would be put to good use, or am I being unrealistic?

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
14,172 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Litter

...or on the spot fines given to people seen dropping litter or cig butts.

I'd make a small fortune everytime I saw a a suited office worker on Old Hall Street throwing away Greggs wrappers and chucking cig butts on the floor within spitting distance of the many bins/ashtrays that are provided.