We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

shopping in aintree, liverpool

singapore
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Topic
shopping in aintree, liverpool

Hi, I'll be going to aintree liverpool in nov for a week long course.

will be grateful for any help to my queries.

1. are there any shopping mall/supermarket near the premier travel inn at ormskirk road?

2. how far is the premier travel inn from the university hospital?

are there any transport available to go there? easy to get cab?

3. how about transportation to the liverpool city area? is it very far?

4. what are the things I can do there?

liverpool
Level Contributor
211 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: shopping in aintree, liverpool

I am assuming you are staying in the Premier Travel Inn on Ormskirk Road?!

1). There are some shops on walton road (which is if you come out of the hotel and do a left) there are a few shops there but it would be a fairly long walk!

2). Hotel is again not walking distance probably be best to get a bus (you can check for train & bus times at www.merseytravel.gov.uk). If you decide to get a cab I'd go for delta (they are a local cab firm and are by far the most reasonable, I'm sure if yopu ask at reception they will phone you one)

3). You are literally just over the road from the train station so my advise if you were wanting to do a bit of shopping I'd cross over the road and get the train into central station (it'll probably take about 10/15 minutes) and that'll bring you right into the city centre.

4). The hotel is right next door to Aintree Racecourse, there is also a fitness first, the Rocking Horse Pub and a KFC with 2 minutes of the hotel. There is not really that much to do there so I'd suggest heading into the city centre if you're wanting a change of scenery etc. There is also a massive retail park (if you come out of the hotel and do a right, which has got a curry's, pc world, B&q, pizza hut, halfords etc if you just want to get out of the hotel for an hour but don't want to go all the way into the city centre.

Enjoy!!

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
503 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: shopping in aintree, liverpool

Shopping: Yes, the hotel is adjacent to a series of out of town retail parks with a large 24hour supermarket (Asda) about a mile away.

Hospital: About two miles away. Yes there are buses and plenty of local cab firms, if you are fit you could even try walking there (about 30 minutes)

City: About 20 minutes away by commuter train with a station accross the road from the hotel.

Things to do: A whole host of attractions in the city and a multiplex cinema about a mile away. By train you could easily visit the pleasant town of Ormskirk or the seaside resort of Southport.

singapore
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: shopping in aintree, liverpool

Thanks to all who replied! you have been very helpful...

louchie: the KFC you mentioned is it near the racecourse? the massive retail park is very near to the hotel? what's the name ? I presumed that the time i'll be free will be quite late in the evening, so won't have much chances to go to the city.

any other things I should note? areas that I shouldn't venture into?

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
3,546 posts
345 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: shopping in aintree, liverpool

paperd..

the city centre isnt far away...

aintree station is opposite the racecourse...takes about 15 mins to get into the city....

as for places you shouldnt go...unless you get your walking boots on, you should be ok...

you mentioned hospital...which one ??

aintree hospital , or liverpool university hospital...

if you are at the latter, you can get places nearer than that...infact you are miles away...lol

gaz

singapore
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: shopping in aintree, liverpool

hi gaz,

thanks.

what do you mean by "you can get places nearer than that"? I'll be travelling between premier travel inn and university hospital.

as I'm on course, it'll be quite late (maybe early evening) before i'm out of the hospital.

my concerns are shopping and food... hope to find those nearby.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
503 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: shopping in aintree, liverpool

Paperdebris

I think we may be confusing you.

There are two hospitals in Liverpool with the word University in their name. I assume you will be at University Hospital Aintree in which case the Premier Travel Inn on Ormskirk Road is a good choice.

The other is Liverpool University Hospital in the city centre in which case you wouldn't want to be staying in Aintree!

If you are travelling in the evening when the buses are less frequent you may be best using a cab firm. Private hire firms are slightly cheaper than the official black cabs but you have to order them by phone rather than just hailing them down. I think Delta (0151 924 7373) has already been mentioned by louchie - should cost around £2 to £3 at most.

liverpool
Level Contributor
211 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: shopping in aintree, liverpool

Hi paperdebris, The KFC is about a 3 minute walk from your hotel, but if you're worrying about walking round as it'll be later on. I wouldn't worry as the car park is really well lit, and there are always people coming and going to the gym.

I don't think the retail park actually has a name (it may just be Ormskirk Road or Aintree Racecourse retail park)

singapore
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: shopping in aintree, liverpool

Thanks to all the advisors here.

I'll hope to enjoy my stay in liverpool!

singapore
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: shopping in aintree, liverpool

Hihi...

another question pop up.

If I take a cab from Liverpool Lime street station, how much will it costs to get to premier Inn at ormskirk road?

Liverpool
Level Contributor
298 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: shopping in aintree, liverpool

It will cost you about £15 from lime st in a black cab.....walk over the road and get a train from central for £2 it takes about 15 by train from Lime st.