We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We're coming to Liverpool

Which Liverpool hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
England
Level Contributor
4,137 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
We're coming to Liverpool

Amazingly I've only ever been to Liverpool twice. Once in 1989 when Villa got hamered at Anfield and once in 1999 when we visited my cousin who lives in Blundell Sands.

So when I saw a kgb offer for two nights at the Devenshire House Hotel, Edge Lane, for £89, I though, Why not? I've checked the TA reviews and as ever they range from Dire to Fab. We don't care as long as the sheets are clean. At that price we aren't expecting the Ritz.

Weve booked and by a complete coincidence that's the day Viila are at Anfield again. I'm waiting for a suitable moment to tell Mrs Trickster. Aparently it's only a 20 min walk from the hotel to the ground. We get one dinner with the offer, so need a recomendation for the second night please. We like all types of food.

We want to do some sightseeing. I'm a Beatles aficianado. Like so many, they are the reason I took up the guitar and have been playing it (badly) ever since. How can we get immersed in all that stuff? What about the Docks.

We will have two full days plus the day we leave. So what are the must sees. We like everything.

I know the Cavern isn't the original one but hopefully there will be a good band on one of the nights.

Thanks in anticipation

Liverpool
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
2,349 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: We're coming to Liverpool

PS Any chance of bumping into Gerry Marsden whilst we're there. Or failing that, Doddy.

think there's two hopes on that, one being Bob, the other being No

however should you get a ticket for the match, personally I think you will, taking into account its a live game on a Saturday evening

I can guarantee you will bump into me ????

now that's got you thinking

btw,

not sure if it was last season or the season before, but former villa player Ian Taylor was in the crowd, might be the closest you get to see someone famous in Liverpool

Edited: 14 November 2013, 21:01
London
Level Contributor
4 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: We're coming to Liverpool

hello loads of good restaurants in liverpool - quarter (book) good one italian about mid range on price but fab view over cobbled streets plus you are on hope st with the philharmonic pub - fantastic burgers in almost famous burgers (cant book) - just off bold st or bakchick resturant in bold st - all gorgeous food and we eat out all the time = all good value - tribecca for pizza - list is never ending, if you want to get in the good books of your missus after buggering off to a game book panoramic bar - (have to book) for drinks - think its the 30th floor of building overlooking the city - only have a couple in there as its a bit more expensive - not terrible but a bit more - then literally pub crawl loads of pubs and bars free to get in some busy some not - ship and mitre does hundreds of different largers then all the flash bars are close by...........its easy peasy to have a good night in liverpool

England
Level Contributor
4,137 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: We're coming to Liverpool

Thanks Matt

Very helpful

England
Level Contributor
4,137 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: We're coming to Liverpool

Thanks sirlyn and Big Scouse

Ok I'll bite, bigscouse...... WTF are you then?????

15. Re: We're coming to Liverpool

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 16 November 2013, 09:00
England
Level Contributor
4,137 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: We're coming to Liverpool

nuff said

Merseyside/England
Level Contributor
208 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: We're coming to Liverpool

Hi, take a quick look at the reviews for a choice of great restaurants but for good food & even better value you could try Bistro Franc on Hanover St in city centre. On a Sunday they have an offer if 2 courses plus a bottle of wine EACH for £15.95pp. Best value in town & foods good.

As for the Beatles Tour by taxi, the cost is £45 for 2 hours. Taxi can accomodate up to 6 people & takes in likes of Strawberry Fields, Penny Lane, Elenor Rigbys grave & the childhood homes & school of the Beatles. The guys who run the tours are very knowledgable & you are given a photo opportunity at each stop. If you are interested I can put you in touch with one of the tours?

England
Level Contributor
4,137 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: We're coming to Liverpool

thanks Parsco.... will let you know

Liverpool
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
2,349 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: We're coming to Liverpool

PARSCO,

As for the Beatles Tour by taxi, Taxi can accomodate up to 6 people ???

no offense but most taxi's (Hackney) are licensed to carry 5 people, again most standard private hire are licensed to carry 4 people

the are several Beatles taxi tour, as a Hackney taxi they all are licensed by Liverpool city council to carry 5 people

the only difference being should the taxi be a people carrier type vehicle, these can carry anything from 6-8 people

Merseyside/England
Level Contributor
208 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: We're coming to Liverpool

Hi Bigscouse, no offence taken, but you are wrong!

Yes most hackney cabs in Liverpool (TX models) are licensed for 5 passengers however, the Metrocab & the increasingly popular Peugeot E7 taxi are both licensed for 6 passengers.

The meters in these 6 passenger hackney(black) taxis are identical to that of the 5 seat taxi with no additional charge for the extra passenger!

This is not the case with Private Hire vehicles, most of which charge a premium for vehicles carrying more than the standard 4 passengers.

I should add that Liverpool City Council has plans to allow other 6 seater taxis to be licensed. These include a

Mercedes, Fiat & Citroen. With a 5 seater Nissan cab also proposed for 2014.

Hope this information is useful & please feel free to ask should you require more information on Liverpool Taxis?

I