We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A day in Liverpool

Mellieha, Malta
Level Contributor
9 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
A day in Liverpool

I'm heading for a day in Liverpool next Saturday. I'm going there from Manchester Piccadilly station. Shall I stop at Liverpool Lime Street? Is the dock area a nice place to visit? I was planning a walk in the City and maybe down the docks. In the afternoon I would like to watch the game against Arsenal in a Pub. Could I get a map from the station so I would make the day by walk?

Thanks for help

Aldo

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
15,731 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A day in Liverpool

All trains from Manchester terminate at Lime Street.

When you get there go to the end of platform 7 and go into the Virgin Trains office. They have free maps on a rack just inside the door.

Albert Dock where the Beatles Story, Merseyside Maritme Museum and Tate North are situated, is a 10-15 minute walk from Lime Street. It is well signposted so you won't get lost.

Right next to Albert Dock is Pier Head where you will find the Museum of Liverpool and the Three Graces (Royal Liver Building, Cunard Building and Port of Liverpool Building). This is where you can also get the Mersey Ferry from for a 1 hour cruise of the River Mersey.

Most of the pubs in the city centre will be showing the football. Once you have been to Albert Dock/Pier Head walk up James Street where you will find the First National bar, and around the corner on Harrington Street is the Crocodile, who will have both have the football on.

Or head along to Dale Street and one of the pubs there such as Thomas Rigby's, the Vernon Arms or the Excelsior who will have the football on. A few bars/pubs on Mathew Street will also have it on, such as Rubber Soul, Remeniss, the Glass Onion and the White Star.

Edited: 03 February 2014, 15:03
Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
15,731 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A day in Liverpool

Next Saturday's game v Arsenal is a 12.45pm kick off, so you should aim to arrive in Liverpool no later than 10am if you want to do a bit of sightseeing before the game.

After the game, and unless you plan on just staying in a pub to celebrate Liverpool's victory over the Gunners, you could then head to William Brown Street and maybe visit the World Museum and Central Library. If you go to the library make sure you go to the roof terrace from where you will get good views across the city centre; or go into the Walker Art Gallery. You are then back at Lime Street and you will have to walk past the impressive St George's Hall.

All of the museums and galleries I have mentioned have free entry, except the Beatles Story, and you will have to pay for any special exhibitions at Tate North and at the Walker Art Gallery.

Liverpool, England
Level Contributor
363 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A day in Liverpool

If you just have one day - you could also take a tour bus - to get an overview of the city and its sights. You can catch it at The Albert Dock or at The Pier Head. The white coloured tour bus is best, as it has a proper guide to give you a real-time commentary. It lasts about 50 minutes - and you can hop on and hop off.

4. Re: A day in Liverpool

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 February 2015, 06:19