We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A day in Liverpool?

Cheshire, UK
Level Contributor
210 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
A day in Liverpool?

Hello,

We have friends visiting from the West Country next weekend and are planning to go to Liverpool on Saturday via train. Although we only live in Cheshire we are not overly familiar with the city. We are hoping to eat at Jamie's Italian as we are Gold Club Members but are we going to need to book?

We have no idea for timings (please can anyone help?!) but are thinking of arriving around lunchtime, having coffee and cake, walking around The Albert Dock, seeing the Liver Buildings, browsing Liverpool One for an hour or so, having a cocktail in the Hard Days Night hotel, then Jamie's Italian and maybe trying a couple of the local pubs along the way back to the train station? How long should we allow for all this? Roughly what time might we be wanting to book the restaurant if we do need to book?

Thanks in advance!

Amy

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
14,967 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A day in Liverpool?

I'm almost certain that you can't book a table at any of the Jamie's Italian restaurants anywhere in the country.

I would actually look into going to a "proper" Italian restaurant such as Casa Italia on Stanley Street or Franco's on Castle Street.

The food will be more authentic and also won't break the bank and you will also be able to reserve a table. Franco's in particular is worth considering; and it's also less than a 5 minute walk from Bar Four at the Hard Days Night Hotel.

I went to Bar Four a couple of years ago and they serve a unique range of Beatles themed cocktails. The cocktail menu is on their website.

Perhaps also consider The Italian Club on Bold Street, or The Italian Club Fish which is only a 1 minute walk up the road at the top of Bold Street opposite St Luke's, the "bombed-out church".

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
14,967 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A day in Liverpool?

Also, which railway station will you be using - Lime Street or Central?

This will help us to give more advice regarding the time you have and which pubs you might want to visit.

Yes, both stations are only a short walk away, but depending on which one you are heading to to get home will be useful to know. ;-)

Liverpool, England
Level Contributor
363 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A day in Liverpool?

I think Jamie's is O.K - but as has been said - you can't book!

'The Italian Club' on Bold Street - would allow for a slice of more authentic Liverpool life: a street full of independents and ethnic eateries and shops. Personally, I would not choose Franco's - as the menu is very limited.

You could try 'San Carlo' on Castle Street for a bit of bling, and 'The Olive' just a little further down Castle street is a basement bistro serving pizzas and other mediterranean fayre - atmospheric, good food and service....

Cheshire, UK
Level Contributor
210 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A day in Liverpool?

Hi,

Thank you for your replies, they are really helpful - we will be travelling into Lime Street. I really like the sound of Bar Four and think a trip to Liverpool for tourists wouldn't be complete without a trip to Mathew Street and the Cavern, I missed that off my first post! Will this be easy to fit in too? Also, what is St Luke's? I am intruiged by the idea of visiting a bombed out church.

Thank you again.

Liverpool, England
Level Contributor
363 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A day in Liverpool?

To be honest, there's not much to see, unless there is an event on - and it is not reliably open.

You must take your friends to both cathedrals, and walk the length of Hope Street - elegant & georgian;and in fact there is a Italian/mediterranean bistro on Hope street called The Quarter.

Edited: 02 March 2014, 19:16
liverpool
Level Contributor
1,130 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A day in Liverpool?

I would allow midday till 2pm for lunch especially if you intend to go to Jamie's as liverpool one will be busy on a Saturday ,then. I would do the shops in liverpool one for a couple of hours ( Harvey Nichols has a little champagne bar if that's what you like),then you could wander across to Mathew street only 2 mins away from the debenhams end of liverpool one , you could aim to get to hard days night by 5 ish for your cocktail , assuming you have say 1hour there it's now 6pm ish not sure what train you are getting back but that may be all you have time to do.... The idea for hope street area etc is good but maybe it would be a bit of a rush to do it all !!

Edited: 02 March 2014, 19:44
7. Re: A day in Liverpool?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 02 March 2014, 19:51
Edited: 02 March 2014, 19:51
liverpool
Level Contributor
1,130 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A day in Liverpool?

Just to add to my previous post the Albert Dock and the liver buildings etc are only a 5/ 10 min walk from liverpool one or even from Mathew street / hard days night for that matter ( the hard days night hotel is right next to Mathew street ) hope this helps enjoy

9. Re: A day in Liverpool?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 March 2015, 06:16