We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chester Train Station

Which Liverpool hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Chester Train Station

We will be traveling from Bath to Liverpool. Looking at the train station schedule, it seems we will be going to Cardiff then up to Chester then on to Liverpool. On the schedule, there is only 12 minutes to change trains in Chester to get on the one to Liverpool. Will this be enough time for those of us who have never been and are searching for the correct platform for our connecting train? I have the same question for Cardiff as well from Bath. Only about 11 minutes there. I will try and find a forum for this question though. I am mainly concerned as to how large the train station in Chester is and how long it would take if our connecting train is at an opposite end of the station. 12 minutes doesn't seem like enough time to get off one train and get onto another. Any info on this would be appreciated. thank you.

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,558 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chester Train Station

Don"t worry. Chester station has several platforms but 12 minutes should be more than enough time to change trains there. If you are on a through ticket and your first train arrives late then you will be able to get the next train and trains to Liverpool are quite frequent

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
13,939 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chester Train Station

The normal route from Bath to Liverpool is as follows:

Bath - Bristol Temple Meads

Bristol Temple Meads - Birmingham New Street

Birmingham New Street - Liverpool

So, where did you find the route from Bath to Liverpool via Cardiff and Chester?

It is possible to go Bath - Newport, then Newport - Crewe, then Crewe Liverpool, but this is usually at the weekend when engineering work takes place on the railways, or, if you get a cheaper advance ticket going via that route.

I don't understand where you are seeing that you have to go via Cardiff because there is no need to go all the way to Cardiff and then backtrack to Newport to travel up north.

Have a look at this website and enter the time and date you want to travel and you will see there is no need to go all the way to Cardiff! ;-)

www.nationalrail.co.uk

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,505 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chester Train Station

The recommended minimum connection time at Chester is 5 minutes and that is built into the journey planner. 12 minutes should be ample.

Plan of Chester station

nationalrail.co.uk/SME/html/NRE_CTR/plan.html

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chester Train Station

Thank you for this information.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chester Train Station

We wanted to go over to Cardiff, so booked from Bath to Cardiff, I realized that a straight through ticket didn't work for us, then from Cardiff to Liverpool. Sorry for the confusion.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chester Train Station

thanks to all for the replies. I realize I changed our plans then this question didn't apply, but we are going from Cardiff to Chester...just to see it and it is helpful to see that there shouldn't be a problem booking trains close together in time.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chester Train Station

thank you for this information. I had felt like that surely they were making allowances for change of trains, but was unsure.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chester Train Station

My husband wants to 'see' Cardiff...so that is the direction we will travel. Thanks so much for your help.

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,558 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chester Train Station

Chester is a 'must see.' Such a pity to use it just as place to change trains.

Much much more interesting than Cardiff . Have you read anything about Chester with its best city walls in Britain and its unique two tiered medieval streets? You see none of this from the train.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chester Train Station

You are adding to your journey time going Bath-Cardiff-Chester (via Hereford) -Liverpool.

My wife travels the Bristol-Newport-Chester route regularly in fact I collected her from Chester station earlier today.That would be the cheaper route too from Bath Spa via Hereford.Total journey time Bristol Temple Meads to Chester 3 hrs 26 minutes:and you could exclude the Newport-Cardiff-Newport bit.

Imo Chester is a better visitor attraction than Cardiff.