We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From London Heathrow to Liverpool (which train station)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
From London Heathrow to Liverpool (which train station)

Hi there!

Could anyone help me and give some good advice? I'm landing London Heathrow late in the night around 20:00 on June 10th, what would be the train station I should go to take a train to Liverpool? And which train station shall I pick to arrive in Liverpool (I am still waiting for my friend to give me their hotel address, but I assume they will stay in the center of the town)? Would anyone suggest me to purchase train ticket online now in advance or is it fairly easy and available for me to buy a ticket when I arrive?

Sorry I'm in New York and am not familiar with England at all (with direction and distance) and have no time yet to do more research.

Thank you very much!!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,877 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From London Heathrow to Liverpool (which train station)

Given that you will have completed passport control, baggage collection and (depending on the airline with which you've booked) the walk to the Underground station, you might - stress that word - be able to make it to Euston station for the departure at 2300, but that train arrives at Liverpool Lime Street at 0538 the next morning and includes a three hour wait at Manchester Piccadilly station. The last flight from LHR to MAN departs at 2020 so that's a nonstarter.

You have two choices. You can stay at a hotel near Heathrow and take the 0640 departure to MAN (fare £80 all inclusive) the next morning then a train from there to Liverpool or you can book an inexpensive hotel in central London and take the train the next morning.

There is a departure from London Euston to Liverpool Lime Street at 0530, arriving at 0844 with Advance singles for just £20. Fares thereafter are upwards of £100 except for the departure at 0710 with Advance singles at £72, then the 0907 train at £65. Tickets bought on the day will cost from £65 to £115.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,815 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: From London Heathrow to Liverpool (which train station)

Liverpool is some 200 miles from Heathrow - about the same distance as New York to Boston.

There is a National Express coach that leaves from the Central Bus Station at Heathrow at midnight arriving Liverpool 05:45 for £47.00

For future reference - you could have flown to Manchester from New York for the short trip to Liverpool

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From London Heathrow to Liverpool (which train station)

Sorry I'm in New York and am not familiar with England at all (with direction and distance) and have no time yet to do more research.

=====

Lucky you didnt book a flight and time even further away from where you want to go then. Its like someone in the UK flying to Boston when they wanted to go to near New York.

In your position with the awkward train timings, I'd overnight in London and take a train to Liverpool the next day. Booking a train after about 10am would be the cheapest before that you are contending with people on business and much higher prices.

You could fly next morning at TP suggests but thats a bit of hassle - bus from hotel to airport, all the hassle of flying, eg get there 2 hours ahead, security, then another train from Manchester to Liverpool, as opposed to, stay near train station so walk there, direct train to Liverpool.

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
6,159 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From London Heathrow to Liverpool (which train station)

I would stay over in London, trains the next day are as low as 19 GBP on Virgin, there's one 11.07am 12.07pm and 13.07pm

farefinder.virgintrains.co.uk/BestFares.aspx…

Edited: 26 May 2014, 09:16
UK
Level Contributor
6,386 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From London Heathrow to Liverpool (which train station)

The OP may have had a good reason for booking a flight to London. My guess is that that they have probably decided, very sensibly, that they don't want to fly overnight - and there are no daytime flights to MAN.

(I nearly always book daytime flights back from North America, because I find I can miniminise jetlag to almost zero that way)

What I would do is take the Railair coach to Reading (they run until quite late, so no problem there) and take a train from there the next morning, changing at Birmingham (much easier than going through London). Advance tickets are available for £41.50 on virtually all trains departing late morning on 11 June.

UK
Level Contributor
6,386 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From London Heathrow to Liverpool (which train station)

My response crossed with the one before mine. I think the choice between Reading and London is probably "six of one, half a dozen of the other" - the train journey from London is quicker and cheaper (I'm amazed those cheap savers are still available at such short notice), but overnight accommodation may be more expensive in London than in Reading. This is something the OP would need to check.

If money is important I suggest looking at Travelodge (www.travelodge.co.uk). There is a Travelodge at Euston station (where trains to Liverpool depart from), don't know about hotels near Reading Station as I haven't been to Reading for a while.

7. Re: From London Heathrow to Liverpool (which train station)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 26 May 2014, 12:18
UK
Level Contributor
6,386 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: From London Heathrow to Liverpool (which train station)

Travelodges in Reading are between £40 and £78 for that night, so the Reading option is clearly going to work out cheaper than the London option.

There are five Travelodges in Reading, the cheaper ones are all in the outskirts while the one on the town centre (and within walking distance of the station) is the most expensive at £78. There is one within a short taxi ride of the station (648 Oxford Road) that is available at £42 - if you add £10 each way for a taxi that's probably the cheapest option.

Edited: 26 May 2014, 12:24
UK
Level Contributor
6,386 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: From London Heathrow to Liverpool (which train station)

PS - I was responding to the previous post, subsequently removed, which mentioned that the Euston Travelodge was £169 for the night in question. Hence my assertion that the Reading option is the cheaper one!

Edited: 26 May 2014, 12:27
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: From London Heathrow to Liverpool (which train station)

Hi all,

Thank you all so much for your useful and helpful information! I now certainly have a much better idea and have a starting point for what and where to research!! Truly appreciate!!