We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Liverpool train stations

Dublin, Ireland
3 posts
Save Topic
Liverpool train stations

Hi everyone, hoping someone could give me some advice..

I am planning a trip, from ireland, to manchester, flying into manchester then getting the train into livepool.

My question is would i be better suited going from manchester into liverpoll central or into lime street.

This is a shopping trip, so i would prefer the station closest too the main shopping areas,

If you could also advise on a hotel closest to whichever station you suggest.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
10,248 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Liverpool train stations

I'm fairly sure all direct trains from Manchester airport go into Liverpool lime street www.nationalrail.co.uk

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
14,975 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Liverpool train stations

All trains from Manchester terminate at Lime Street.

You could change trains at Liverpool South Parkway for a connection to Central, but there's no real advantage in doing this as it will add time on to your journey and Central is only around the corner from Lime Street anyway, literally a 2 or 3 minute walk.

The main shopping area in Liverpool is across the road from Lime Street station on Church Street and Lord Street, and Liverpool One shopping area is right next to these two streets.

P.S. The closest hotels to Lime Street Station are the Liner Hotel and Holiday Inn.

There also a Premier Inn on the other side of Central station on Hanover Street and a Travelodge behind St George's Hall.

There's plenty of other hotels within easy walking distance of Lime Street station. Liverpool city centre is actually quite small and compact so you're never far from anywhere really.

Edited: 09 June 2014, 18:06
Dublin, Ireland
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Liverpool train stations

Thanks a lot for your reply

Dublin, Ireland
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Liverpool train stations

Thank you so much for all the information in your post,. I was imagining liverpool as a huge city, glad to know its compact. cheers

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
14,975 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Liverpool train stations

The suburbs stretch out for quite a few miles, but you can walk across the city centre in 15-20 minutes depending on where you are going.

Liverpool England
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Liverpool train stations

Liverpool is very similar to both Dublin and Belfast and has a similar feel, in my opinion. Nowhere is more than a 20 minute walk from anywhere else within the city centre,

Lime street is the National rail station and has a metro station below ground, this connects to Central, James street, then goes under the river to Birkenhead, returning via James street to Moorfields and Lime street and then central, its a circular underground, however the stations are not far to walk from each other and really you would only use one to get to another if it was heavy rain and probably not even then.

Incidentally only Glasgow, Newcastle and Liverpool have undergrounds outside London in the UK..

7. Re: Liverpool train stations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 June 2015, 07:15