We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Liverpool

Stirling, United...
Level Contributor
86 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Liverpool

Hi guys. I'm visiting Manchester next month but there's a possibility of a wee day trip to Liverpool whilst I'm there. Is there any "must see" things in the City Centre that it would be easy to squeeze in on a wee day trip? Thanks :)

Liverpool
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
2,507 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Liverpool

There's planty

but give us a clue as to what your intrests are

this might whittle things down

Stirling, United...
Level Contributor
86 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Liverpool

Haha that would help, eh?

We're pretty open to suggestions actually. I know my other half would probably like to visit Anfield, but don't know if we'd have time to do that but just anywhere that's of interest and specific to Liverpool. We're not really into the Beatles so none of that but if there's any interesting museums, any areas that are nice to visit that have nice shops or eating areas, not sure if maybe the docks area? I don't really know a lot about Liverpool and haven't had a chance to do much research yet but we're pretty open to suggestions - there's nothing we're very anti other than not that fussed about art galleries.

Thanks! :)

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,806 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Liverpool

Just make your way to the Albert Dock and the Pier Head.

Take a ride on a Mersey Ferry?

Visit the Museum of Liverpool -maritime museum both free entry, just like most museums in Liverpool

Tate gallery, free entry on some floors

Then head into LiverpoolONE for shopping which is just across the road past the Hilton hotel

Then just meander perhaps up to the Cathedrals on Hope street.

All achievable in a day, plus you will see pubs and restaurants aplenty on your wandering, just take your pick.

The waterfront and city centre are close together and very compact.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,651 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Liverpool

In addition to the Tate, there is the Walker Art Gallery, which is a good regional collection. Next door is a natural history museum. Both are nearly adjacent to the main railway station (Lime Street).

The docks area has been done nicely, but the cafes and restaurants are on the expensive side.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
16,290 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Liverpool

There's a regular bus service from the city centre to Anfield.

If you want to go on the Anfield stadium tour you would be advised to book in advance.

Liverpool, England
Level Contributor
366 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to Liverpool

Take a tour bus to get an overview, hop on hop off. Pick up at The Albert Dock or at The Pier Head.

Two cathedrals - very different to each other.... Museums and galleries at the docks, and on William Brown Street... too much for a few hours.... I'd suggest a the tour bus - then come back at another time to explore properly.

Liverpool
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
2,507 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip to Liverpool

Here's a first for me,

unless you have 2-3 hours to spare, I would give Anfield a miss

the tour of the ground is roughly 1 hour, then you need another hour for the museum, plus time in the shop etc

personally I'd follow Lucea's advice above

Take a ride on a Mersey Ferry?

Visit the Museum of Liverpool -maritime museum both free entry, just like most museums in Liverpool

Visit the Albert Dock

Then head into LiverpoolONE for shopping***

*** here you can visit the offical Liverpool FC store, sure your other half will want to go here !!!!!!

There's many, many other options/places to see as well

Merseyside
Level Contributor
1,540 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip to Liverpool

The Albert Dock would be a great starting point for you as it holds a multitude of shops,restaurants,bars,galleries & museums. The Museum of Liverpool & the Atlantic Slavery Exhibition would give a local flavour to your visit. Both are free admission. The Ferry terminal is just a couple minutes away as is Liverpool One Shopping. Open Top Tour buses also run from here.

Your choices are endless really as we have a rich heritage combined with the modern flair of other cities. I am confident you will have a great time & please post a review of your visit on here..

liverpool
Level Contributor
1,187 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip to Liverpool

Hop on hop off bus tour www.cityexplorerliverpool.co.uk

Stirling, United...
Level Contributor
86 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trip to Liverpool

Ah great, thanks for all the feedback guys! I will have a wee look and check out my options! :)

(PS sorry for the late acknowledgement, I've been living it large in Staffs! ;-))

Get answers to your questions about Liverpool