We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London to liverpool- HELP!

Melbourne, Australia
5 posts
Save Topic
London to liverpool- HELP!

Hi,

My partner and I are from Australia and Will be in london for a holiday, we have tickets to the liverpool v borussia dortmund game on August 10 and are trying to book train tickets from london to liverpool but there is planned rail works.... All tickets we have found will be costing the two of us $450 aus dollars plus.. Is this price about right or is it better for us to wait until we are in london to get tickets? Any help with websites and journeys would be much appreciated

Southampton, UK
Level Contributor
1,612 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London to liverpool- HELP!

Fares bought in advance increase in cost as the date of departure nears.

I found a day return for just under £80 for the date you require.

http://www.farefinder.virgintrains.co.uk/

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,873 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London to liverpool- HELP!

At what website have you found fares in dollars? UK rail fares are priced in sterling, with Off Peak returns from just under £80 per person.

www.nationalrail.co.uk is the information website, but book tickets *now* with the train operating company if you want to make a return journey from London to Liverpool Lime Street on 10 August. The most straightforward journey will be a departure from Euston but there are trains from and to London Marylebone as well.

Where is your start point in London?

Edited: 08 July 2014, 06:19
Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
55 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London to liverpool- HELP!

Also take a look at Trainline

http://www.thetrainline.com/

I have had adult returns for about £30 using these guys booking (well) in advance.

Melbourne, Australia
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: London to liverpool- HELP!

Thanks 1948mike, when I select the tickets for 2 adults it says the tickets are no longer available, as the game is at 12:15pm all of the train tickets arrive after this time....

Edited: 08 July 2014, 06:25
Melbourne, Australia
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: London to liverpool- HELP!

Travellerplus I'm on rail Europe as it's the only site I can find tickets that arrive in liverpool before the game starts, I'm staying near paddington station but was told euston would be the best to travel from?

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,224 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: London to liverpool- HELP!

Trains to Liverpool go from Euston, not from Paddington.

Rail Europe is a marketing agency with huge markups. You won't get cheap tickets at short notice, but you can always do better than Rail Europe.

On the National Rail website, which is where you should be looking, the first train of the day on August 10 will not get you to Liverpool until 12:10, which is too late for you. As a matter of interest you can buy tickets for that train (one way) at £78.70.

You would need to go the night before. The fare is the same for all trains leaving Saturday night, August 9.

…nationalrail.co.uk/service/…dep

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,873 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London to liverpool- HELP!

Please do not use thetrainline.com or any third party website.

Virgin Trains are upgrading the line that weekend, with reduced services and some on diversion. You may wish to travel to Liverpool on 9 August, which will be a lengthy journey of about four and a half hours, then travel down again after the match on the 10th. You could travel by National Express coach on 9 August from £12 per person, cheaper than a rail ticket and could leave you a bit more for a hotel in Liverpool.

Again, go to www.nationalrail.co.uk (and perhaps www.nationalexpress.com ); for more information about the planned weekend works click on 'London Euston to Watford Junction' on 10 August here virgintrains.co.uk/updates/…travelUpdatesForm

Southampton, UK
Level Contributor
1,612 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London to liverpool- HELP!

I agree that you will have to travel the previous day. With the likely railway engineering work on Aug 10, there is no way of getting there in time from London. Because of the match - and it is also peak hoiliday time - hotel prices will be expensive.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,386 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: London to liverpool- HELP!

<<I'm on rail Europe as it's the only site I can find tickets that arrive in liverpool before the game starts>>

Sounds like rail Europe is using the normal, non-engineering work, timetable

Should they actually sell you tickets it will be for a train that doesn't exist.

Melbourne, Australia
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: London to liverpool- HELP!

Thanks for your help guys, I appreciate it.

Is there a coach line perhaps that I could use? As we have booked dinner and the shard for the night before because it's our anniversary dinner!

Oh dear things aren't looking good!