We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Craft beer and real ales in city centre?

Holmestrand, Norway
Level Contributor
1 post
215 reviews
Save Topic
Craft beer and real ales in city centre?

Hi, we are 4 guys very interested in craft beers, staying in a hotel in Hanover Str, Liverpool centre. Any tips on where to go is highly appreciated. Thankx!

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
3,636 posts
354 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Craft beer and real ales in city centre?

Matt will be along shortly..

A few suggestions

The Swan - Wood Street

The Ship & Mitre - Top of Dale Street at side of flyover

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
16,785 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Craft beer and real ales in city centre?

A short 5 or 6 minute walk from Hanover Street is the Baltic Fleet pub. They brew their own beers in the cellar making it Liverpools only brewpub. In fact I'm here right now having a pint of their stout!

(It's down the road from the Scandinavian Seamens Church - Gustaf Adolfs Kyrka!)

As well as the Ship & Mitre on Dale Street you will also find the Vernon Arms and Thomas Rigby's which is owned by Okells Brewery from Isle of Man. They sell Okells beers as well as other guest ales.

I actually prefer the Fly In The Loaf on Hardman Street which is another Okells pub. There's lots of other decent pubs in this area by Hardman Street and Hope Street, such as Ye Cracke, the Grapes (Roscoe Street), The Belvedere, the Roscoe Head, the Caledonia and my favourite pub in Liverpool, The Dispensary on Renshaw Street (ignore the bizarre one post reviews that slate the pub and its landlord).

P.S. The Scottish craft beer company BrewDog are supposed to be opening one of their bars in Liverpool city centre this Summer, but I don't think they have even started building it yet. But if it's open when you visit because I guarantee you will not only like the BrewDog beers, but also the guest craft ales they sell. I've been to the BrewDog bars in Bristol and Manchester and some of the beers blow your head of because they are so strong! ;-)

Edited: 01 August 2014, 17:13
Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
16,785 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Craft beer and real ales in city centre?

I forgot to mention The Lion Tavern at the top of Moorfields which is off Dale Street.

The White Star at the bottom of Mathew Street is also worth a visit, although I'm not too impressed with the standard of their ales; but the pub has links to the Beatles and I think it's also twinned with a pub in Norway or has some connection with some Liverpool FC supporters from Norway! ;-)

Edited: 01 August 2014, 17:41
Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
16,785 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Craft beer and real ales in city centre?

This map might be useful:

visitliverpool.com/dbimgs/…20Liverpool.pdf

However, it is a few years out of date and some of the pubs - actually, MOST of the pubs - on the map are supposed to have real ale, but all they actually serve is cask ale, and it's the usual bog standard stuff like Deuchars, Marstons Pedigree, Timothy Taylor Landlord etc etc. Not bad pints to be truthful, but when you get a pub that claims to sell real ale and sells that bog standard stuff, and then serve it badly (e.g. with dirty lines) then you know you are in trouble.

Even "that" pub on the corner of Hope Street and Hardman Street with the posh bogs doesn't serve the best pint, but they know how to charge you more than you should be paying! ;-)

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
813 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Craft beer and real ales in city centre?

For craft beer aficionados visiting the city, if you are here of a weekend check out the Mad Hatter Brew Tap serving up the very good beers brewed on site. They sometimes have live music too.

madhatterbrewing.co.uk/event/…

Mello Mello and The Clove Hitch have excellent choice in terms of craft beer too.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
16,785 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Craft beer and real ales in city centre?

I still haven't been to the Mad Hatter yet Dave S, even though I was down the road from there today in the Baltic Fleet.

In fact, Mad Hatter Brewery was supposed to be taking over the brewing operation of Wapping Brewery in the cellar at the Baltic Fleet; but the deal now appears to have fallen through and Wapping continue to brew their own ales even though Stan Shaw has retired.

I was in Mello Mello yeaterday though - they always have a local guest ale on and a stonger craft ale, usually from the USA, on tap.

Yesterday I had a pint of Liverpool Red from Liverpool Craft Beer Co., and they had an American craft ale on (didn't make a note of the brewery) that was about 7% abv and cost £6 a pint.

But I suppose if the OP is coming from Oslo he will be used to paying over the odds for a pint! When I was in Oslo 10 years ago I paid nearly £7 for a pint!

By the way, Oslo and the rest of Norway is stunning and I still have friends over there. Just need to start saving up to go back there, especially for beer money! ;-)

Edited: 03 August 2014, 18:39
Wales, United...
Level Contributor
430 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Craft beer and real ales in city centre?

MATT !!! ,,,,,,STOP IT ,, STOP IT !!!!,,,,,,,,, mentioning all those pubs i frequented on my mini pub Beatles tour last year is making me crave for another Liverpool short break.. I have one lined up for 3 days in Newcastle next week, but actually wishing it was back to Liverpool !!!!!

Do me a favour ? stand in that tiny snug room in the Roscoe head and have a pint for me ?

I 'll pay the barman when i return in October..

Cheers. Alf { honorary Liverpudlian}

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
16,785 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Craft beer and real ales in city centre?

Alf - there's plenty of other decent real ale pubs in the Liverpool suburbs and further afield that many day trippers to Liverpool don't get to see.

For example, there's Pi on Rose Lane in Mossley Hill ( I'm actually in here right now!), and a 10 minute walk away on Penny Lane is The Dovey. 10 minutes further along on Smithdown Road is Kelly's Dispensary, which is 100 metres away from The Willow Bank.

To the north of Liverpool in Waterloo is the Old Bank and Stamps Too on South Road and around the corner from there is the Volunteer Canteen. A 20 minute walk away in Crosby is the Crows Nest, Stamps (sister pub of Stamps Too in Waterloo) and a new "micro pub" called the Pidgeon.

And up in Southport you've got the Guest House, Lakeside Inn and the Inn Beer Shop.

I could go on, but I need to get to the Roscoe Head to have that pint for you!

Cheers. ;-)

Edited: 10 August 2014, 13:52
Wales, United...
Level Contributor
430 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Craft beer and real ales in city centre?

Cheers Matt i knew i could depend on you to have a jar for me, after the Roscoe head i enjoyed the Dispensary, so you can call in there too if you want, then a walk across town to the Lion, i loved it in there too ! good whiskey selection above the bar.

{damn it !!!!! why did i allow the wife to persuade me to go to Newcastle instead ?

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
16,785 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Craft beer and real ales in city centre?

Some good pubs in Newcastle - you HAVE to go to The Bodega on Westgate Road - it's like a mini version of the Ship & Mitre and the Dispensary rolled into one.

And a short walk away on the other side of Chinatown is the Strawberry which is right next to St James' Park. Loads of Newcastle United FC photos amd memorabilia on the walls, and I had a decent pint from the Jarrow Brewery when I was there a couple of years ago.

And opposite the Castle Keep and next to one of the bridges that crosses the Tyne is The Bridge Hotel pub. Had a decent brown ale in there, but is was from a small local brewery (forgotten the name) and wasn't your usual Newcastle Brown Ale that isn't even made in Newcastle anymore! There's another great real ale pub a short walk from there, but I've forgotten its name so will have to do some digging and get back to you on that one. ;-)

Edited: 10 August 2014, 14:36