We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lady lever art gallery

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
421 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
lady lever art gallery

Hi all, just getting the finishing touches for our next 3 day break to my honorary home Liverpool. My wife has suggested there is more to Liverpool than John Lennon's house at Woolton, with a walk through Calderstone park again ! to Penny Lane.

And then revisit the Roscoe head, the lion, fly in the loaf, ye cracke, the Phil, Dispensary, among other fine establishments ?

She feels the need to have a look at the Lady lever gallery !! any help on the best way over to port sunlight and stroll to the gallery will be appreciated. I'll have my Chester to James street ticket on the day of arrival, can i reuse it to go back to port sunlight, or can i get the ferry ?

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
15,231 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: lady lever art gallery

Are you planning to go to Port Sunlight on the same day that you arrive in Liverpool?

I assume you will have bags and need to check into you hotel first.

If you buy an All Area Saveway in Chester you could use this to go to Liverpool. Then get a train back to either Bebington or Port Sunlight stations. The Lady Lever Art Gallery is a short walk in between each of the stations. Then get a train back to Birkenhead Hamilton Square station and walk down to Woodside ferry terminal. Show your Saveaway tickets at the ticket office and ask for your free boarding cards.

You can use these for one trip on the ferry across to Pier Head ferry terminal.

Or just buy an All Area Saveaway on another day and do the same as above.

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
421 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: lady lever art gallery

cheers Matt, yes more than likely we will go over to the gallery once we check in to James st hotel, that around mid day so we will have plenty of time to make the trip back to Port sunlight,,and you say with a saveaway ticket will enable us to ferry back over to Liverpool ? that sounds just the job..

thanks Alf

PS,, anywhere decent to call in for a pint near the gallery on the way back to Liverpool ?

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
15,231 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: lady lever art gallery

Yes, that's right, the All Area Saveaway can be used on the the train from Chester to Liverpool, Liverpool back to Port Sunlight/Bebington and on the ferry. Just don't forget to ask for your boarding card at Woodside ferry terminal.

There's a couple of pubs in Port Sunlight. There's one next to Bebington station on the edge of Port Sunlight village, and a couple more at the other end of the village by Hulme Hall where of course the Beatles first played with Ringo.

The names of the pubs escape me so I'll need to get back to you on that.

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
421 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: lady lever art gallery

I've been having a look at the price of a pint in Liverpool !!

some beers in the fly in the loaf £6.00 !,,, average pint £4.50 ! ,,,wow, that's gone up since last year, I can get a good beer in central Cardiff in some cracking pubs for for £2.40, and 25 miles from Cardiff in my local small, very good weather-spoon £1.80, and £2.30 for guest ales !!

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
15,231 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: lady lever art gallery

The Fly has recently had a refurb and those high prices are probably for the craft beers they have introduced. But I was in there the other week and paid £3.25 for a pint of Okells IPA.

Average prices for a pint of real ale in pubs such as the Disensary, Caledonia, Baltic Fleet, Grapes (Roscoe Street) etc are about £3.00. I've just bought a pint of Liverpool Organic Honey Blonde for £3.10 in the Belvedere.

The Lloyds/Wetherspoons on Concert Square charges between £1.25 - £1.75 for real ale (25% off on Monday).

Liverpool One Bridewell charges £2.85 for a pint of real ale (£2.45 on Monday).

Ship & Mitre varies between £2.80 - £3.20, or up to £4 for a stronger craft ale.

I was in the Pigeon (Liverpool & District CAMRA Pub of the Year 2014) in Crosby yesterday and all pints of real ale are £2.80.

So I suppose it depends on where you go, but prices aren't as high as Manchester, or Bath and Bristol where I often visit.

Pubs in York are actually cheaper than Manchester if you are after real ale, and Huddersfield is about the same as Liverpool. Huddersfield has some excellent real ale pubs such as the Grove, Sportsman, Rat & Hatchett, Hand Drawn Monkey etc and I highly recommend you visit there for a weekend. ;-)

I was in the Dovey on Penny Lane earlier on watching the Liverpool game and they usually have 3 ales on, but this time only had one which I didn't like the look of. Real ale is usually about £3.30 a pint there, but I went for a pint of Stowford Press which cost £3.50 which was too expensive for my liking. The food in the Dovey looks and smells good. I've never tried it but you might want to check this place out when you visit. Hopefully they'll have a better selection of ales on! ;-)

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,138 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: lady lever art gallery

The Lady Lever Art Gallery is interesting as is the architecture of Port Sunlight. But just to add that the Walker Art Gallery in the city centre is as good as any gallery in any UK city.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
15,231 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: lady lever art gallery

Back to pubs in Port Sunlight - here's the first one I mentioned next to Bebington station. It's called The Railway Inn.

http://www.therailwayinnpub.com/

When I went it was the weekend of the Port Sunlight Summer Festival which coincided with the Mathew Street Festival and 50th anniversary of Ringo Star performing with the Beatles for the first time at Hulme Hall in Port Sunlight.

I've only been to that pub once and I think I just had a pint of bog standard Strongbow, so I don't remember if they had any ales on, but looking at the photo gallery on the website it appears that they do sell real ales of some sort:

http://www.therailwayinnpub.com/#!untitled/zoom/c1pwt/image14ps

I'm almost certain that the other pub I went to was The Bridge Inn:

beerintheevening.com/pubs/…Port_Sunlight

I think I just had another bog standard Strongbow there too, but it looks like they also have a few ales on, and I think they serve food.

It was a bit of a hazy day in terms of my memory - what, with the festival and the stage they had put up which had Beatles tribute bands playing on right in front of the Lady Lever Art Gallery, plus Peerless Brewery from Birkenhead had a stall selling their fine real ales!

Have fun! ;-)

Merseyside
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: lady lever art gallery

Hi Matt, how do u find the time to visit all these bars? Your knowledge of Liverpools bar scene is encyclopedic & you offer a fantastic insight both for locals & visitors alike. I do worry for your liver though😉

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
15,231 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: lady lever art gallery

All in moderation! :-p

Plus, I work 5 days a week so don't really have that much time on my hands except at the weekend. A bit of research and careful planning takes me to the best pubs that have the best beer, otherwise it would be a waste of a weekend.

I could also tell you of dozens of pubs to avoid because their beer is consistently awful because they don't clean their lines and don't know how to manage the cellar.

Let's start with the Rose & Crown on Cheapside and the Swan on Wood Street. ;-)

Merseyside
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: lady lever art gallery

Matt, unfortunately I'm currently working 6 or 7 days a week so have very little social life but I note the advice you offer members, for when I'm able to slow down a bit. You could possibly offer your services & advice to a local guidebook or even the Echo?