We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Adelphi Hotel opera

Which Liverpool hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Liverpool UK
Level Contributor
175 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Adelphi Hotel opera

Have a look at this article on the Liverpool Echo website.

…icnetwork.co.uk/0100news/… 26siteid=50061-name_page.html

Liverpool council have unvieled the programme of events for Liverpool City of Culture 2008.

You won't believe it but they are considering doing an opera based on the Adelphi hotel. I hope they look here for some inspiration, maybe we could all have a go a writing part of the script.

You would think that with all the bad publicity on the hotel that the council would like to forget it but no they give it more publicity by doing an opera on it.

I feel just like Victor Meldrew - I DON'T BELIEVE IT...........

Liverpool
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Adelphi Hotel opera

Appauling and unbelievable.....unless

Maybe if it mocks and ridicules the place enough Britannia might sell up. Could be the city's revenge on a company that has exploited and degraded the good name a once proud local landmark for its own grubby ends.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
206 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Adelphi Hotel opera

What a joke!, as if the television series didn't do us enough harm, that place makes Fawlty Towers look like the Hilton.

Liverpool City Council need to get a grip, as Jim Royle would say culture my a***.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
299 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Adelphi Hotel opera

i think its time the council took a tough decision- and asked someone else to run the capital of culture event. like a bunch of circus clowns

... unless they already have...

Liverpool UK
Level Contributor
175 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Adelphi Hotel opera

Spudfish

I couldn't have said it better myself.

I read somewhere that the WAGS are going to have a lot to do with 2008 - God help us........

I really don't like praising Manchester but they usually get whatever they're doing right, always looking forward. Liverpool Council are hopeless, they are always arguing amongst themselves.

Liverpool, England
Level Contributor
63 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Adelphi Hotel opera

It's undeniably been a shambles, what with the ridiculous appointment of Robyn Archer (now tipped as a future governor of South Australia!!) and her subsequent resignation, but the recently announced line-up of highlights is very impressive:

www.liverpool08.com/events/2008Highlights/

Let's not talk it down already.

The Adelphi show begins in the 20s, from what I've read, so perhaps it will reinforce the general opinion of the hotel round here - a once-loved antique that's been badly looked after and fallen into disrepair - rather than contradict it. However I'd guess that it'll be more in keeping with Jerry Springer the Opera and therefore clearly satirical.

Liverpool, England
Destination Expert
for St. Pete Beach
Level Contributor
2,135 posts
379 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Adelphi Hotel opera

I believe the Adelphi Show will be more of an all round experience...

When you call to book tickets they will put you on hold forever, the seats will be wildly overpriced, the operator won't care less, they will post them out late (or not at all), if you do make it to the theatre you will be met by indifference, it won't have been cleaned, the drinks will be expensive and served in a dirty glass, when they put the lights up you will see it is dirty, dingy and in need of renovation - if you complain the customer service will be minimal...

Just like staying there in fact!

Liverpool, England
Level Contributor
63 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Adelphi Hotel opera

Heh :-)

Liverpool
Level Contributor
27 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Adelphi Hotel opera

Operas are normally tragedies aren't they so perhaps that is the reason?

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,390 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Adelphi Hotel opera

A "mock-opera"?!

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
299 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Adelphi Hotel opera

maybe i'm being anti-scouse here, but every local theatre/music/etc show i've seen based on/in liverpool have been utter, utter crap.

frankly i doubt this show will buck the trend...