We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A meal near Mary Poppins

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
East Sussex
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
A meal near Mary Poppins

Next week I'll be taking my wife to see Mary Poppins, can anyone reccomend a nice restaurant close by that would serve us before the show? It's at the Prince Edward Theatre. Would like somewhere which is fairly laid back but still serves good food,

Thanks in advance

Mark

Sutton, United...
Level Contributor
1,373 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A meal near Mary Poppins

I believe that you are right in the centre of Gayland, Soho and there are plenty in the surrounding area given that you are just off Charing Cross Road and over the road from Covent Garden- some places to a pre or post theatre menu!

Aberdeen Angus Steak House is a popular choice for tourists (wouldn't go there myself though!) or TGI Friday's (which I prefer!)

London
Level Contributor
838 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A meal near Mary Poppins

Hi Noise boy

The theatre you are going to is on Old Compton Street - which itself has loads of eating places.

There are 2 many to mention here but Suzie Wongs does interesting oriental tapas orientalrestaurantgroup.co.uk/suzie_wong.asp

There are a couple of good Italians on Old Compton Street, Cafe Boheme basically opposite is also good, a Morroco restaurant....

Your best bet would be just to wonder down Old Compton street and find somewhere that takes your fancy - you really are spoiled for choice and if you choose somewhere close to the theatre then you wont be in a rush.

London
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: A meal near Mary Poppins

There are lots of restaurants in that area, but would suggest Bertorelli's on Frith Street which does a pre-theatre menu and the food is perfectly reasonable. For really nice food I can recommend L'Escargot (the ground floor) on Greek Street. Or you could try Barrafina on Frith Street which is a fairly new tapas place which I haven't been to yet but have heard good things about. Or there is Kettner's on Romilly Street for a glamorous Pizza Express pizza. All are close by. You can check them all out on www.squaremeal.co.uk

Derby, UK
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
7,343 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A meal near Mary Poppins

Soho has it's fair share of gay venues but there's more to it than 'Gayland'!!!

The Ivy is very nice and in v easy walking distance - it's notoriously difficult to get a table weekends but you can often get a table in the week especially if you want to dine early. Food is superb, it's not majorly expensive i'd say mid range and is very laid back - no heirs and graces.

China Town is only a 5 minute walk so if you like oriental cuisine you'll be spoilt for choice.

Less than 2 mins walk (literally just behind the theatre) is Kettners, this is a beautiful old restaurant with champagne bar and pianist but owned by Pizza Express so moderately priced and their menu is the pizzas, burgers, etc that you'd expect from a P Express.

Balans on Old Compton Street is also a very good place to eat. It is popular with the gay crowd but that's not really a problem - they'll only be eating dinner in there just like you!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,911 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A meal near Mary Poppins

Gayland? Stereotyping absurdity. The pink pound is in evidence on Old Compton Street, but it's not a wildlife sanctuary of alternate lifestyles.

And to suggest the Aberdeen Steak House as an option is delving to new depths of despair.

Kettner's is really quite nice, with scrummy food and a lovely interior. The Cafe Boheme is just across the road from the theatre, and may be another option, too.

Rough and ready Greek food has been served up at Jimmy's, in Frith Street, for many years - usually to happy and satisfied customers.

If you want a coffee after the show, you could do worse than to go around the corner to the Bar Italia - open until the wee hours, with excellent coffee from Angelucci's, it's hip and happening.

London
Level Contributor
838 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A meal near Mary Poppins

I too was ignoring the "Gayland" comment - which personally I found extremely insulting.

Derby, UK
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
7,343 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A meal near Mary Poppins

That's why i said there's more to Soho than 'Gayland'!!!

I don't know if LMTav has ever been to Soho but it's certainly NOT exclusively gay.

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
1,912 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A meal near Mary Poppins

Lots of good suggestions for restaurants - lots of people hang out in Soho at night due to the theaters and the restaurants - you shouldn't have any problem finding one that works for you.

Sutton, United...
Level Contributor
1,373 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A meal near Mary Poppins

I apologise for any offence caused, I only go there with my gay friends.

I acknowledge that it IS NOT EXCLUSIVELY GAY it just is my association of the place!

It always baffled me why they put a family-friendly musical there when its' predecessor was "Mama Mia" still family-friendly but slightly camper than Mary Poppins?!

north-east NJ
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: A meal near Mary Poppins

I realise I should leave this alone, but I'm astounded -- LMTav apologises in one breath & then seemingly takes it back in the next, "it IS NOT EXCLUSIVELY GAY it just is my association of the place!"

She then goes one step further by stating that she can't understand why a family-friendly musical would be playing in Soho -- obviously still saying that Soho is "Gayland" and, I guess, in her mind, no gay people have children & families. Or is it that gays don't like "Mary Poppins?" I don't know.

I'm just pleased to say that gay people DO eat, so the OP will surely find a restaurant to suit their needs.