We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BA to charge £240 for extra bag

USA
Level Contributor
7,088 posts
253 reviews
Save Topic
BA to charge £240 for extra bag

British Airways adds up to £240 to the cost of a return long-haul flight for checking in an extra bag. news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/business/6341129.stm

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,392 Reviews
from US$124.90*
Stonehenge, Windsor and Bath with Pub...
2,150 Reviews
from US$127.60*
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros. Studio: The Making of...
541 Reviews
from US$112.70*
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: BA to charge £240 for extra bag

This kind of thing drives me nuts.

I regularly travel with 2 bags - my hiking backpack plus a small suitcase to store the things I need outside my hiking trips. Together, they never weigh more than 20kgs.

How disappointing!

Mez

Guildford, England
Level Contributor
5,825 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BA to charge £240 for extra bag

It is probably best to read exactly the terms as opposed to the headlines.

britishairways.com/travel/…en_gb

From the US you will still be allowed 2 bags. Sorry not from Australia :(

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BA to charge £240 for extra bag

I wonder if they have a new 'shoot-yourself-in-the-foot' department?

First, cannot book seats in advance,

Second, only 1 bag for most people, much more of an imposition than you might think, its a hell of a lot harder to lift one 32k suitcase than two 16k ones.

Whats third? destroying your luggage rather than send it to you after they mislay it? Oh no, they already did that one.

bbc.co.uk/consumer/…holiday_20070123.shtml

Dont you have to laugh that these changes are always to 'improve the customer experience' or similar.

This company is on a suicide mission.

USA
Level Contributor
7,088 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BA to charge £240 for extra bag

Thanks for the BA link, JBart . The marketing people headline it "New simpler baggage policy" rather than "Huge price increase for extra bag". Also their statement "The fixed fee is set according to whether the customer is travelling on a domestic (£30), shorthaul (£60) or longhaul (£120) flight" does not make clear whether the charge applies for both the outbound and inbound portion of a roundtrip flight. Simpler indeed!

This looks like a scam aimed at uninformed fliers. The £240 fee would apply if some poor sap checked an extra 1 kg bag even if the total weight of his checked baggage was only 12 kg.

The airports are full of business fliers who check a small personal suitcase and a small case of service equipment. The service equipment can no longer be carried on because of the terror risks posed by little drill bits and a Phillips head screw driver.

It does not cost BA £120 more to carry two 11.5 kg bags than it does to carry one 23 kg bag. This is a ripoff.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: BA to charge £240 for extra bag

IIRC they actually announced this last June with a planned implementation in October 2006 but then the summer's increased security and microscopic carry-on allowances made them shelve it for a while. That said I still hate it as a policy for a full service airline.

London, United...
Level Contributor
755 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BA to charge £240 for extra bag

Although it is a reduction, that is still 23 kilos for one bag on a short haul route. Compared with other airlines that is a lot. Also on flights to destinations such as the US you are still allowed 2 bags each weighing 23 kilos. Why would you possibly have more than 46 kilos?

London, United...
Level Contributor
755 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: BA to charge £240 for extra bag

I also forgot to mention. This new baggage allowance has been on the BA website for absolutely ages now. The media make it sound like they dropped it on passengers a week before it came into effect.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: BA to charge £240 for extra bag

"This new baggage allowance has been on the BA website for absolutely ages now. The media make it sound like they dropped it on passengers a week before it came into effect."

I suspect, like most customers (or in my case, likely never again to be a customer), that we don't generally peruse the BA web site each day seeing what new stupid anti-customer measure they have dreamt up.

If they want to tell customers about it, then TV, Press and Radio ads would be the way to do it, pushing the exciting message out to current and prospective customers.

Why not just put it at the bottom half of all their ads for cheaper flights in nice big capitals?

FLY BA - ONLY 1 BAG OR PAY UP TO £240 - ITS BETTER FOR YOU!

I wonder why they didn't do that, if, as they say, its to improve the customer experience?

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: BA to charge £240 for extra bag

You have to remember BA is now being run by the man who turned Aer Lingus from respectable national carrier into Ryanair wannabe. Looks like BA is next.

''British Airways is now reading to board passengers in standing class on flight BA145 to Sydney. Passengers in rows 134-705 please form a single file queue to pay your boarding & taxing fee. Passengers who are not at the gate 4 hours before departure will be offloaded and charged the £2,000 offloading fee.''

Calgary
Level Contributor
435 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: BA to charge £240 for extra bag

Hello

I think its time that hotels have a good weigh scale so people can be ready ahead of time. It seems awful tricky if your over in weight on your luggage. Toffee