We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

taking rent a cars on ferry to Ireland

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
main beach...
Level Contributor
371 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
taking rent a cars on ferry to Ireland

I plan to rent a car from a major company drive around England and Scotland across to Belfast on the ferry then around Ireland and back on the ferry from Dublin to Holylhead. Has anyone done similar and had good or bad experiences with their rental company.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,727 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: taking rent a cars on ferry to Ireland

With the cost of cheap flights to Ireland and the price of putting a car on a ferry, I don't think this is common practice these days.

Easier to rent another car in Ireland, probably

Somerset
Level Contributor
142 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: taking rent a cars on ferry to Ireland

Never tried it, however having lived in both the UK and Ireland I do know that the car insurance rules/premiums are vastly different. Contact one of the companies like Hertz and see what they say.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: taking rent a cars on ferry to Ireland

Just be aware of the restrictions that the rental company will place on taking their car "abroad". Even for Northern Ireland, which is part of the UK, the rental companies have restrictions /additional costs for taking cars there. This from Hertz might help:

-----------------------------

If you wish to make round trip rentals from the UK mainland to Continental Europe* or to the Republic of Ireland, you must have Hertz permission and appropriate certification - a "Driving Abroad" fee will also apply. This fee, which applies to all rate programmes includes RAC European Motoring Assistance and can be purchased at the time of pick-up.

* Hertz UK registered vehicles may be taken to: Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Northern Ireland, Portugal, Irish Republic, San Marino, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and offshore islands of the above.

Driving Abroad Fees:

Number of days Standard cover (excluding taxes)

1 - 2 days GBP 45.00 per rental

3 - 5 days GBP 50.00 per rental

6 - 7 days GBP 70.00 per rental

8 - 13 days GBP 100.00 per rental

14 - 20 days GBP 120.00 per rental

Over 21 days GBP 20.00 per week*

London
Level Contributor
938 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: taking rent a cars on ferry to Ireland

I agree that unless you have a number of people in your vehicle you will more than likely find it cheaper to fly and pick up a new rental car. We looked at taking our car to Ireland on the ferry and the cost was much more expensive than flying and picking up a rental whilst there.

Greenwich (London)
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: taking rent a cars on ferry to Ireland

>>> the UK mainland <<<

What curious terminology. I wonder whether they mean "Great Britian", or "everything except the little islands"?

main beach...
Level Contributor
371 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: taking rent a cars on ferry to Ireland

The trouble with renting in Ireland is that it makes our rental to Scotland one way and there are charges involved.

The flights to Ireland are not as cheap as they look particularly with excess baggage charges with Ryan and as we are travelling for five weeks we will have a bit of luggage. Then there is the getting to the airport the long delays with check in etc.

But I will look at it all again maybe you are right.

main beach...
Level Contributor
371 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: taking rent a cars on ferry to Ireland

I have looked at it again and you are right. You get some strange ideas when you are planning a big trip so the forum and the people who answer are great.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
1,142 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: taking rent a cars on ferry to Ireland

We did a trip in 2004; picked up hertz car in London and we to Holyhead and around ireland then to Scotland etc. No problems. We did not want to be packing and unpacking and standing in airport queues all the time. I dont remember paying an excess then but in any case it would have been worth it. The car was great and it seemed to use hardly any petrol-was only a Focus but there were three of us. You can waste so much time catching planes. my daughter missed a connection a couple of weeks ago because the woman at Gatwick simply would not let her go in the transit queue-made her wait at immigration to be told she was in the wrong place. but what can you do, if you march through you will end up in jail!

9. Re: taking rent a cars on ferry to Ireland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2009, 01:18