We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pay Telephone at Waterloo Station

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Virginia
4 posts
Save Topic
Pay Telephone at Waterloo Station

Several weeks ago, I got some very helpful input on this forum on where to stay in London. We decided to go with the apartment in Soho, and we're really looking forward to our trip! The apartment owner has asked us to call when we arrive at Waterloo Station (we're coming from Paris on Eurostar) so that she can meet us at the apartment. My question is whether pay telephones in London take coins or cards. If cards are required, where do you purchase them...newsstands, tobacco shops, or somewhere else? Since we'll be traveling with a small child and lugging our bags, I'm just going to be shameless here and ask for the most specific directions that any of you can give me for locating an ATM, pay phone, and telephone card (if needed) at Waterloo.

Thank you so much!!

Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
3,218 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pay Telephone at Waterloo Station

I don't know about Waterloo, but at Euston station there are phones that take coins, others that take cards. You can usually buy cards at stationers. So I would try the WH Smith in the station. By the way, if you buy a card, buy the minimum time, unless you're planning on making a lot of phone calls.

brussels
Destination Expert
for Brussels
Level Contributor
1,091 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pay Telephone at Waterloo Station

there are a lot of public phones and they take a range of payment methods form a phine card to credit card and coins. yuo will just have to look for one that will cope with what you want to pay with.

Why dont you just call on your mobile ?

as for atms i htnk i counted three diferent sets last time i passed through waterloo.

i think you can call form the eurostar as well if you already have a french phone card.

let me know if you really want specifics and i will look when i go through the terminal

London
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Pay Telephone at Waterloo Station

Hello,

You'll have no problem in Waterloo - there are lots of pay phones that take coins and they even take Euros - so if you've got a few left over from Paris you can use those! There are also three ATMs at the opposite end of the station to the arrivals and departure area for Eurostar. I'd say if it's only going to be a quick call to let the person know you're there two euros or ��1 in coins will be more than enough. Hope you have a great time!

Virginia
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Pay Telephone at Waterloo Station

Thanks so much for your help! I think you all have given me enough info to get by. If the phones take Euros, that will help simplify everything when we first arrive. I was concerned that I would walk all over the station looking for an ATM (to get GBP), only to arrive at the phone and figure out that I should have been looking to buy a card. From what you all have told me though, it sounds relatively simple and painless.

I kind of miss the days of "winging it" while traveling, but I feel like I need to be well prepared while traveling with my young daughter.

We're not planning to use our mobile phones in Europe. We want to save money where possible and keep things simple--so mobiles aren't in the equation. Thanks again!