We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Better base - Brixton or Notting Hill?

G31
Minden, Germany
Level Contributor
1,056 posts
16 reviews
Better base - Brixton or Notting Hill?

Hi. I will be in London for 5 days in June this year. The first 3 days I will have to myself before a couple of friends join me for the weekend. So I am looking to rent a flat. Found a nice (and affordable ) one near Westbourne Park Station (classed as Notting Hill by the owner) and one I also like near Brixton Tube station. I am a single female traveller so wondering if there is an upside to either of those in terms of location? They are pretty much the same in terms of price although the Brixton property is bigger. I am looking at doing different markets and just wandering around neighbourhoods as I have done most of the sights on previous visits. Also planning on doing a few theatre nights.

Any help with the decision?

New Mexico
Level Contributor
14,404 posts
111 reviews
1. Re: Better base - Brixton or Notting Hill?

Can you post a link to each of the properties? That would help with overall feedback.

Personally I like the Notting Hill area, but have always stayed closer to the Notting Hill Gate tube station.

Harrow, United...
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
9,751 posts
47 reviews
2. Re: Better base - Brixton or Notting Hill?

Do you have links to the flats please?

Notting hill would be a better base than brixton for visiting the sights depending on the validity of the flats you've found.

G31
Minden, Germany
Level Contributor
1,056 posts
16 reviews
3. Re: Better base - Brixton or Notting Hill?

https://www.vrbo.com/977508?unitId=1525463

https://www.vrbo.com/1990590ha?unitId=3705038

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,426 posts
217 reviews
4. Re: Better base - Brixton or Notting Hill?

If the Brixton one is opposite the Ritzy cinema it will be two minutes walk from the end of the Victoria (tube) line and less than five minutes walk from bars, cafes, the market, Marks & Spencer, a couple of supermarkets and other shops and several bus routes plus the mainline station.

Edited: 13 March 2017, 14:25
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Hurghada
Level Contributor
11,052 posts
65 reviews
5. Re: Better base - Brixton or Notting Hill?

Personally I would say brixton, but I grew up there so slightly bias,..

It's a great base as it's the beginning off Victoria line, only 15 mins to Oxford Circus, 15 mins to Hyde PK, 25mins to Camden town...And it's got great bus links to all parts of London.

Brilliant night life and all types of bars to suit budget, also very multi cultural and a good mix of food shops and stalls.

Edited: 13 March 2017, 14:31
paris london
Level Contributor
5,275 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: Better base - Brixton or Notting Hill?

The Brixton one is better. Shorter journey to the sights on a fast, frequent tube line, and a lively area with loads of restaurants and bars.

The 'Notting Hill' one is actually in North Kensington, in a characterless residential area with a lot of modern social housing. The nearest tube station is Ladbroke Grove (not Westbourne Park), a 15 minutes walk, and on a slow line. Restaurants and shops are also 10+ mins walk. Notting Hill Gate is 30 mins walk.

If you wanted to stay in actual Notting Hill, which is nicer, you would need to pay a lot more.

New Mexico
Level Contributor
14,404 posts
111 reviews
7. Re: Better base - Brixton or Notting Hill?

<>The 'Notting Hill' one is actually in North Kensington, <>

Exactly. If the host misrepresents the location, can you trust any of the other information on the site?

kensington-chelsea.com/index.php/…

G31
Minden, Germany
Level Contributor
1,056 posts
16 reviews
8. Re: Better base - Brixton or Notting Hill?

thank you so much, exactly what I needed to hear/ Looks like Brixton it is. Will book tonight.

9. Re: Better base - Brixton or Notting Hill?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2018, 05:18