We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

time for tea/location

Waco, TX
Level Contributor
33 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
time for tea/location

I am interested in the experience of having formal tea while in London. What time of day is the best to go? Also, a friend had recommended Brown's hotel for a great tea place. Has anyone been there? I have also read great reviews about the Orangery so I am not sure the best place to go.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Brown's Hotel
Brown's Hotel
1,506 Reviews
London, UK
The Orangery
The Orangery
1,309 Reviews
London, UK
Derby, UK
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
7,813 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: time for tea/location

If you're an Agatha Christie fan then i'd say Brown's is well worth a visit. The Miss Marple story At Bertram's Hotel was based there - very old fashioned, very english.

I've been to The Ritz a few times and that is a great experience. The decor is beautiful and the food and service are excellent.

I find afternoon tea is quite a feast so i'd normally go for the latest sitting (around 5pm) and skip dinner that evening.

Mentioned in this post
Brown's Hotel
Brown's Hotel
1,506 Reviews
London, UK
The Ritz London
The Ritz London
3,904 Reviews
London, UK
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5,456 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: time for tea/location

Highly recommend the Lanesborough. 3:30 seemed like a good time.

The Orangery is a lovely setting for taking tea but more informal.

In the search box, type in "tea, artgirl" and you'll find all the write-ups of the tea gatherings that many of the forumites have participated in during the past year or so. There will be links to pictures too.

Wherever you choose to go, enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
The Lanesborough
The Lanesborough
304 Reviews
London, UK
The Orangery
The Orangery
1,309 Reviews
London, UK
London, England
Level Contributor
12 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: time for tea/location

You'll need a reservation at any of the high end places, between 3 and 5 is usual time for tea.

The Lanesborough got the best reviews recently in Metro for afternoon tea.

The Caramel Room at the Berkeley is lovely and famous for its Pret a Portea (fashionable cakes) tel +44(0)20 7201 1699

Harrods do it very well as do also Fortnum & Mason (the Queen's grocers).

Enjoy your tea!!

Mentioned in this post
Harrods
Harrods
14,588 Reviews
London, UK
The Lanesborough
The Lanesborough
304 Reviews
London, UK
The Berkeley
The Berkeley
1,102 Reviews
London, UK
London
Level Contributor
295 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: time for tea/location

I recently went to the Lanesborough, and the tea there is excellent. I don't think they start to serve until 4 pm, but you would need to check. You should also book, which can be done when you get to the UK. It is £28 a head (or £35 for a tea with strawberries and champagne), but it is a proper meal in a very pleasant setting near Hyde Park Corner. They even have a tea sommelier who recommends different types of tea according to your tastes and needs. Less expensive, more cool and stylish, but less completely wonderful from the tea-drinking point of view is the Wolseley on Piccadilly.

Mentioned in this post
Hyde Park
Hyde Park
16,985 Reviews
London, UK
The Lanesborough
The Lanesborough
304 Reviews
London, UK
The Wolseley
The Wolseley
6,498 Reviews
London, UK
Blois, France
Level Contributor
799 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: time for tea/location

Hi, Although everyone always talks about tea at the Ritz or the at the Lanesborough I will go along with your friends recommendation and say that Brown's is a great choice and personally my favourite- less of a "tourist attraction" and more of a "traditional English experience".

Mentioned in this post
The Ritz London
The Ritz London
3,904 Reviews
London, UK
The Lanesborough
The Lanesborough
304 Reviews
London, UK
Brown's Hotel
Brown's Hotel
1,506 Reviews
London, UK
With my nose in a...
Level Contributor
781 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: time for tea/location

We tried to have tea at The Wolseley In December. I admit we didn't book ahead as it was a spur of the moment thing. Upon entering Husband waited for 10 minutes to try to get somebody's attention, whilst obviously regular wealthy patrons were hurried past him to be seated. In the end he gave up and walked out. Terrible service! We went to StMartins-in-the-field instead. More informal but great afternoon tea!

P.S. We were dressed nicely if anyone is wondering!

Mentioned in this post
The Wolseley
The Wolseley
6,498 Reviews
London, UK
london
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: time for tea/location

Having been to and experienced several 'afternoon teas' I cannot recommend The Dorchester enough. It is simlpy the best quality, servie and they just keep bringing out the snadwiches, cakes and tea tea and more tea, they will also do coffee or hot choc if you ask.

It is a bit more pricey and further away than the others, but you really feel like you experience the formality and grandeur of a 'proper' afternoon tea, not jsut the 'for the tourists' ones.

The Wolseley is ok too, without booking ahead, but in comparison, is really measly, you just cant beat the Dorchester Hotel. Hieght of Posh, porper manners and maiing you feel like a proper grown up lady of circumstance or whatever the proper term is.

Browns and the orangery do not do it properly!!

Please, please go there.

Mentioned in this post
The Dorchester
The Dorchester
1,657 Reviews
London, UK
The Wolseley
The Wolseley
6,498 Reviews
London, UK
london
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: time for tea/location

St martin in the fields is a church - they mean 'thecrypt' which is under it.

it is a lovely place and I have had many lovely meetings and chats here, but certainly not an 'afternoon tea' place at all.

You want the little cucumber sandwiches and the scones and clotted cream etc, you will only get soup, bread and butter pudding or a lunch meal at the crypt.

Nice place though, esp if yo are cold and in trafalgar square....

Waco, TX
Level Contributor
33 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: time for tea/location

Thanks so much for all the suggestions. I have a couple of weeks before we leave in which to decide. I know wherever we end up it will definitely be an exciting experience.

Thank you!

Independence...
Level Contributor
508 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: time for tea/location

The Lanesborough was very accommodating about reserving by email. Even sent me a menu. My reservation is for 3:30.

Mentioned in this post
The Lanesborough
The Lanesborough
304 Reviews
London, UK