We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

So is 500 pounds enough for 3 nights

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Boston, New...
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
So is 500 pounds enough for 3 nights

in London for food and fun? Lodging not included in this amount. Sorry I don't know how to make the sign for pounds.

While planning this trip I have been having trouble when I look at the conversion factor!! So I've decided to stop looking at it and just look at your price and not the conversion to american dollars.

I have already booked a tea for two at the Ritz which take 72 pounds out of this figure.

Thanks, Laura

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: So is 500 pounds enough for 3 nights

For 2 people !!!

You could feed and entertain a coach load for that or you could blow it all in one night. It all depends on you tastes, style and expectations.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,391 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: So is 500 pounds enough for 3 nights

Yes. Unless you're planning on taking taxis ten times a day, or using cash single fares on the Tube 15 times a day, your budget is ample. Even if you clear out the Origins counter at Boots and do your grocery shop at Horrid's.

An approximate conversion rate is that $US2 will buy £1. The rate is a bit less than that (about $US1.90 to £1), but the easiest conversion is two to one. Prices at the shelf include VAT, so that's what you'll pay at the till - a method that I wish would become the norm in North America.

London
Level Contributor
699 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: So is 500 pounds enough for 3 nights

One way to look at is, what will cost you $10 in the States, will cost you £10 here. It's the exchange rate that kills you.

In other words, a $50 meal (Stateside)will cost you $100 (here).

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: So is 500 pounds enough for 3 nights

At home now and so more time for a detailed reply.

It depends what you want to do

Top price theatre tickets for top musicals will cost £50 each, however, you can get good seats at discounts for many excellent plays. As you have said you can pay £36 for tea at the Ritz or buy a sandwich, drink and desert at Boots for £3.30. Museums are free, The London Eye is around £20 and a meal out in the evening can cost anything from £15 to £50 a head.

£500 is more than enough. If you look like you are going to overspend, there are plently of cheaper alternatives.

New Boston, New...
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: So is 500 pounds enough for 3 nights

Thanks for the suggestions - when I said I was having trouble with the conversion factor I didn't mean I couldn't figure it out - I meant I couldn't believe I had to double the PRICE of everything just about. This is what was driving me crazy.

Like the tea for example is going to tea at the Ritz for two really worth $145.00!!!! I think not so I just have to look at the British cost and not think about what its really costing me in my hard earned American dollars that don't seem to be worth must these days!!

So where is Boots? And is it good for 3.30 pounds for lunch

Canada
Level Contributor
4,307 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: So is 500 pounds enough for 3 nights

LOL - it is! enough

You do have to ignore the conversion factor - I flinch every time I get a glass of wine that costs up to SIX POUNDS!! - and convert it back to the price of an EXCELLENT bottle of wine in Canada....

I guess we are paying for the ambience of the pub!

Then there was the $120 PLUS meal for ONE that I had at an airport hotel in Manchester.

Enjoy!

Indiana
Level Contributor
653 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: So is 500 pounds enough for 3 nights

lrgardener~

DONT do the conversion every time you buy/do something - it will drive you crazy and cut into your fun.

I did that the first day or so and then finally said, what the heck...........we only go round once! (and coming from the Midwest - larger cities in the US are astronomical in some of their prices as well in my perspective....)

Chances are you will be so full from the Ritz that it will be your meal for the evening - and it is the Ritz after all! :)

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,391 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: So is 500 pounds enough for 3 nights

Boots shops are everywhere - seriously. You'll see small branches in rail stations, at LHR, tucked away on side roads - but there are bigger branches on a lot of main roads.

£3.30 for a decent sandwich, drink, and bag of salty snacks or a piece of fruit is a good deal for London. The sandwich selection will be picked over by about 1.00pm, so do have a look before the office hordes swoop in. Boots also sells yogourt, fizzy drinks, fruit juices and other healthy (and not so much healthy) snacks - Superdrug does, too.

If I were to buy ££ today from my local currency exchange (with the best rates I've seen in a long time) I'd pay $CDN2.29 for £1. Last summer I snivelled because I paid $C2.10. So, like some others, I just don't bother to do the arithmetic any more, for most purchases under £10. Worrying about money was un-beneficial to a holiday I had once, and I decided after that to enjoy the money I work so hard to earn.

north-east NJ
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: So is 500 pounds enough for 3 nights

Yes, as TravellerPlus indicated, Boots is "Boots the Chemist" and not a cafe or lunch spot proper. You won't find a table & chair, but you could pick-up a decent sandwich & eat it elsewhere.

Essex
Level Contributor
26,710 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: So is 500 pounds enough for 3 nights

Hi Irgardner

eat your Boots Packed lunch in any Park that takes your fancy - see "Lunch in the Park" thread. Also there are nice bench seats along the Embankment where I often stop for my 'picnics' and you can vary your Thames view daily, depending where you choose to sit!

Tea at the Ritz eh - theres 'swank' for you! They also do fantastic if expensive Coctails there if you fancy something stronger........

Cheers!

EW