We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Packing List

Florida
Level Contributor
235 posts
131 reviews
Save Topic
Packing List

Anyone have a good list of things to make sure you pack for London?

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,254 reviews
from US$127.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
456 reviews
from US$106.00*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,085 reviews
from US$150.40*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from US$302.90*
US$336.60
Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
209 posts
Save Reply
31. Re: Packing List

>>Perhaps it's a cultural thing. Perhaps Europeans enjoy life differently. Who knows ?<<

I enjoy life to its fullest - thanks!!

Does it make us all wrong that we like to plan and have lists? I don't think so. We Americans get precious little holiday time so it only stands to reason we are going to do everything in our power to make sure we enjoy and make the most out of that time. If making list upon list makes us feel like we reach that goal then so be it. Doesn't mean one way is right and the other is wrong.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,407 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Packing List

And all the planning, obsessive or otherwise, is merely a prelude to our holiday. Something to do to pass the time until we actually leave. I don't think anyone is saying their trip will be ruined if they forget to pack their favorite styling gel or toothpaste, but it's all a part of the trip anticipation. :o)

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,407 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Packing List

And all the planning, obsessive or otherwise, is merely a prelude to our holiday. Something to do to pass the time until we actually leave. I don't think anyone is saying their trip will be ruined if they forget to pack their favorite styling gel or toothpaste, but it's all a part of the trip anticipation. :o)

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,911 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Packing List

"But I, for one, would not lose sleep if I forgot to bring something with me on vacation."

You might, if it was your Lunesta! ;- )

fyi, Lunesta is a prescription sleeping medication in the US, and now, I don't own stock in the company.

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
35. Re: Packing List

Problem for the Americans is they live in America and can't just 'pop' over to Europe, hence the need to plan what is often the vacation of a lifetime and not a weekend getaway; would be too bad if lack of planning menat that the Louvre were closed on the one day they were able to visit, woudn't it.

Nebraska
Level Contributor
5,940 posts
1 review
Save Reply
36. Re: Packing List

Interesting thoughts, Insightful. You've made me ponder my own travel experiences as a "North American" and whether or not I fit your ideal. For my trip a few weeks ago to London, I sort of flung everything into two suitcases and zipped them shut before I could worry about what was in there. And I tend to fly by the seat of my pants when it comes to itineraries and planning. I sort of have a general idea of what I want to do, but if I end up getting dragged off to a pub crawl by Mick67, then I just go with the flow and have fun. TP is right - a passport., credit cards (and I take cash too). But I've got to tell you, I think existentialism is crap.

Independence...
Level Contributor
508 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Packing List

thanks livinglife.

I've been so busy (lol) planning my trip I haven't taken time to check out all the features.

U.S.A. ( the land...
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
Save Reply
38. Re: Packing List

You're welcome, Penny...this is a new feature, just a day old, I think.

Independence...
Level Contributor
508 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Packing List

great, the site where I enter sweeps has the same feature and I had wondered if TA did also.

sacramento
Level Contributor
118 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: Packing List

I make out a list of what I'm bringing before I go and then, when I get home, I look at what I really used and what I didn't use/need. I started doing this years ago and it really has helped me pare down. And really- nobody cares what you are wearing. Be sure to bring good, sturdy shoes, a very warm, waterproof jacket and a great attitude. Also- I started using moleskin journals years ago- they come in all sorts of styles/ shapes and they are invaluable. I like to sketch, so a small drawing set always goes with me. And my favorite years-old sweatshirt which has doubled as a pillow/pajama top/comfy something from home.