We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yogurt??

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Independence...
Level Contributor
508 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Yogurt??

I usually eat at least one container of yougurt a day., that and a granola bar would hold me on Eurostar till I arrive in Paris.

So what is a good brand at a reasonable price in London?

probably the most poplar here is Yoplait but I rarely buy as it can be expensive (in relation to store brand). a container of Yoplait here would be about ₤2. so anything under that price in a basic flavor such as lemon, orange, blueberry would be fine.

And yes dumb question, but are granola bars called granola bars in UK?

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
725 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yogurt??

I'm sure someone will help you with prices, but one thing I wanted to mention is that on the whole, yogurt (or yoghurt) is on the whole less sweet in the UK than in the US: to my mind it is much better, but I just wanted to make you aware of it. It doen't have that "saccarine" after taste that I find in everything but some organic yogurts. So buy 1 pot to see if you like it.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
725 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yogurt??

For the life of me I can't remember what granola bars are called (cereal bars, snack bars?), but to add to my previous post, these are also slightly different (or can be). Generally they are softer, not so crunchy, although there are bound to be exceptions. Like yogurt something I eat in the UK, but not in the US,

Independence...
Level Contributor
508 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yogurt??

jennifer, thanks I do remember the ones in france being less sweet which is fine with me, and for the sugar substitute ones I usually only buy lemon as the "bite" overrides the aftertaste.

and on the bars I would really prefer the ones we call cereal bars (softer).

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
725 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yogurt??

I was just shopping for groceries for my mother online (thank goodness for home delivery). Yogurt is 40-60p a pot (or more if you want to go wild). Ganola bars seem to be called cereal or snack bars. When I say softer think more like the texture of rice krispie treats. If you like chocolate, i can recommend the Cadbury Brunch Bars with Hazlenuts! I think I saw Kellogs fruit filled cereal bars when I was last in Tescos.

Independence...
Level Contributor
508 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yogurt??

I'll have to check out the Cadbury I love hazelnuts.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,839 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yogurt??

You usually have a good choice of yogurt in supermarkets ranging from basic cheap and cheerful 15p per pot or less to the luxury brands thick and creamy in M&S or Tesco finest, lots of flavours to choose from and nowhere near £2.00!

Never heard of granola bars but cereal bars are available all over, you get a good selection in health food stores which I prefer to the Cadbury, Kellog type which I find to sweet. Hope this helps!

northern Virginia
Level Contributor
700 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Yogurt??

penny, I stayed right across the street from a large Sainsbury's in London and would go over there every morning to get a container of yogurt, a small package of fruit (usually presliced apple and grape) and a Starbuck's coffee.

I can't remember any brands in particular, but check out the Greek yogurts. They are difficult to find here, but seemed more prevalent in England. If you haven't Greek yogurt, it's much thicker and doesn't have quite as much of a yogurty taste to it. I tried all sorts of flavors and enjoyed them all.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
618 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yogurt??

I recommend the raspberry yogurts from M&S. The are full of fruit and very good! They also do a blueberry one.

But my favourite yogurt is the Waitrose branded plain yogurt with banana and pineapple fruit pulp on the bottom!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,396 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Yogurt??

Dairy products are usually good quality, and there are a number of organic options at most larger stores, as well as store brands.

I usually indulge in the full fat, bad for you but good, extra scrummy Waitrose yogourt desserts, as they're styled. Varieties include Scottish raspberry, Madagascan vanilla, lemon curd (dreamy), date and toffee, honey and ginger, wild blueberry, Champagne rhubarb and the seriously tasty hazelnut.

You'll see small pots of proper Greek yogourt too, with or without a wee sidecar of honey to go with - truly a swell way to get a dairy serving plus some calcium.

Independence...
Level Contributor
508 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Yogurt??

Thanks for replies,

sounds like you have a much better selection than we do (even in big cities) and a good option for a snack.

I did get it backwards on the price but it is still pricy here.

Overall groceries are much higher than in Dallas where I lived for many years. What I saved in car insurance goes for groceries.