We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GEX and HEX Luggage Compartments

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
24 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
GEX and HEX Luggage Compartments

Just Curious. Are the luggage compartments adequate for the amount of people traveling on the trains. I've been on several trains that had really small luggage areas. I also had my bag taken by mistake. I had to chase a guy to get it. I do believe it was an honest mistake. My bags are now more clearly identified.

Thanks for all responses.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,631 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: GEX and HEX Luggage Compartments

It's been a while since I've been on the GEX, but the HEX trains have luggage areas near the carriage doors - you can see the storage area from most seats in the car. There are also jump seats near the doors for those using wheelchairs or pushchairs, and there is enough room to sit on the seat and hold on to one's bags, if that's your preference.

I think the GEX rolling stock has been updated to carriages with similar features to the HEX trains, but am not enitrely sure of this.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
152 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: GEX and HEX Luggage Compartments

za travel,

I've not done HEX but on GEX the luggage compartments are like what you see on the rental car buses here in the states. Into and out of London, not had a problem storing liggage and sitting in the same train car. Kate

Nebraska
Level Contributor
5,940 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: GEX and HEX Luggage Compartments

Hi Za,

Just returned from London and used the HEX on arrival and departure. As you enter the train car, there is a large compartment (easily visible and open from both sides of the car) for storing bags. It was easy to use, and we did not have crowds to deal with at all. Easy to see....easy to use.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: GEX and HEX Luggage Compartments

>>>I've been on several trains that had really small luggage areas.<<<

Unsurprising as most trains don't need to be able to accomodate huge amounts of luggage. Do you really think the airport trains wouldn't have sufficient luggage space?

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: GEX and HEX Luggage Compartments

"Do you really think the airport trains wouldn't have sufficient luggage space?"

Well, FWIW, the Reading to Gatwick train doesnt, plus it only has luggage compartments in the first and last carriages (out of 8) and this is not signposted, you are meant to discern it by telepathy I think.

6. Re: GEX and HEX Luggage Compartments

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2009, 22:18