We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Premium economy Virgin airlines

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oklahoma
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Premium economy Virgin airlines

Has anyone flown premium economy from London to NYC? Is this equivalent to business class on other airlines? Thanks!

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Premium economy Virgin airlines

No it's the equivalent of what business class used to be 15 years ago, (although suspiciously similar to AA/UA business class today - more a reflection on how bad they are if anything)

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Premium economy Virgin airlines

Bit more than BA Traveller Plus but not quite as plus as Club? (I think)

I just got off the SanFran to Heathrow Virgin flight and the Premium looked very nice compared to the back seats.

But I'm not sure it's worth an extra grand!!!

Comparing fares for potential next trip and Economy is £320 or so. where as Premium was £1300??

Maybe the thinking is people will think it's not much of a jump to upper class and will go the whole hog!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,121 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Premium economy Virgin airlines

BA are quite emphatic that World Traveller Plus (their premier economy service) is not a Club World-lite (or even CW-light); VS aren't quite so bold, but the basics are the same.

Club World is an exceptional business class service, and is certainly a better soft product than most NoAm First services. VS's Upper Class service gets rave reviews, but I am not sure how it compares to BA's First product.

Premier economy offers a slightly wider seat (the armrests won't raise, though, as the IFE controls are usually in the armrests, similar to a TV remote control but on a cord, which pax may pull out to use), seven or eight more inches of ptich between seats, and fewer seats in the cabin. There is a built-in leg and foot rest on the seats, which is rather nice. Seating is usually 2-4-2 rather than 3-4-3. The meals are usually identical to those served in the economy cabins, and pax may or may not get a glass of juice prior to departure. BA does offer a real wine glass for WT+ pax, rather than expecting pax to drink from a plastic cup.

WT+ is my default choice for long haul flights, and for a nine or ten hour trip, it's worth the money. Others' views may vary.

London, United...
Level Contributor
263 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Premium economy Virgin airlines

I'm flying PE to NYC again next week. I guess it depends if you think it's worth the extra money.

With Virgin you get dedicated PE check in, wider seats, more legroom, etc. A new PE product is being rolled out, which you are more likely to get if you are flying on an Airbus A340-600, with leather seats, and the remote is in the seat back in front, so the seat feels wider. If you get a 747 you can sit upstairs, there's less seats, only 4 seats across in a 2-2 design, and it's a lot quieter and you get a better service.

5. Re: Premium economy Virgin airlines

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2009, 03:17