We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday Inn Express Docklands

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
philadelphia, pa
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Holiday Inn Express Docklands

My husband and I are planning to stay in london for two nights July 1 and 2 on a Europe trip. The hotel prices seem to be super high in the city. I found a hotel, the Holiday Inn Express, Docklands,SILVERTOWN WAY

SILVERTOWN, E16 1EA

ENGLAND , for 50 pounds a night.

A tube stop is right acrossed the street.

I was wondering if this is a good idea, or if we should spend the extra $$ and stay closer to town.

thanks,

*brandi

Harrow, United...
Level Contributor
489 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Holiday Inn Express Docklands

Hi, brand-eye. This is a good deal. The hotel is in Canning Town (not Silvertown). The station almost opposite the hotel is not just a Tube Station (Jubilee Line) but also a DLR Station and a Railway Station (Silverlink Metro: to Highbury, Camden Road, Hampstead Heath, Kew Gardens and Richmond); and there's a bus station outside the station as well.

The only downside is that you will not be within walking distance of any visitor attractions. And you will be in Travelcard Zone 3, so your travel (assuming you wish to travel into Central London) will cost a fraction more than the usual Zone 1 & 2 card that most visitors use.

You may find these maps useful:

tfl.gov.uk/dlr/pdf/maps/map_canningtown.pdf

tfl.gov.uk/buses/spiders/pdf/canningtown.pdf

tfl.gov.uk/dlr/stations/canning_town.shtml

philadelphia, pa
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Holiday Inn Express Docklands

thanks for the info.

is there anything to do around the hotel? not necessarily touristy, but like any cafes or shops or cool architecture?

i'm thinking it may be worth it to be a bit closer to the city and/or at least near something to do.

we'll only be there for two days, so i'm not expecting to see all the sights, but i'd like to experience london. do you know what i mean? like is the hotel in an industrial area? or is it a quaint area?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,624 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Holiday Inn Express Docklands

I think you should definitely stay closer to central London. Take the DLR and have a look at Canning Town - it's an industrial area, with one of the few remaining East End/Docklands residential areas around it, but it's not at all aimed to visitors - it's a bit grim in places, esp as you go further east along Newham Way.

As TravelSpy said, there are several travel options, but getting in and out of central London will take a lot of time, and very likely require use of bus as well as tube or DLR.

Yes, London is expensive, and July is very pricey, but for such a short trip, you might be better off closer in to town.

london
Level Contributor
2,690 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Holiday Inn Express Docklands

I don't think my first post worked - but please excuse if I duplicate.

Silvertown is not quaint in the least. It's a regeneration area - one of the last Docklands areas to be 'gentrified'. It's becoming popular as a place to live because of its great riverside developments, good transport (it's also right by City Airport) and cheap-ish prices but until recently it was as rough as old dogs. Have a look at this article:

www.findaproperty.com/area.aspx…

Fifty quid is a great price, but you're only here for two nights so why not stay in one of the more central Travel Inns - they have some in great locations.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,624 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Holiday Inn Express Docklands

Nice post, hickney, and a fabbo link. When the ex hus and I used to drive from Barking into town along Alfreds Way/Newham Way, some of the area looked as if it hadn't been touched since the bombs were dropped. And past Beckton to the east, where the A117 intersects was...oooh. Am a little sad, though, to see gentrification moving in, as it often has little regard for the remaining gems that should be retained.

A trip on the DLR is highly recommneded for anyone interested in the area, to see what's left before it all vanishes in a puff of redevelopment.

Harrow, United...
Level Contributor
489 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Holiday Inn Express Docklands

Well, Canning Town does have shops and a market on the Barking Road, but it's not a major centre. Nearby Stratford, Upton Park ('Green Street') and East Ham are more vibrant. And the architecture is a mix of 'crumbling Victorian' and the A13 flyover. So, before you make the booking, at least check some of the other Holiday Inn Express hotels which are little closer to Central London, i.e:

Southwark (Zone 1):

www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/6c/1/en/hd/lonsw

Shoreditch/Old Street (Zone 1):

www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/6c/1/en/hd/lonct

Victoria/Pimlico (Zone 1):

www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/6c/1/en/hd/lonve

Finchley Road/Swiss Cottage (Zone 2):

www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/6c/1/en/hd/lonfr

West Kensington [Opens May] (Zone 2):

www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/6c/1/en/hd/lonec

Limehouse/Shadwell (Zone 2):

www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/6c/1/en/hd/lonlh

Hammersmith/Ravenscourt Park (Zone 2):

www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/6c/1/en/hd/lonhs

Wandsworth Bridge (Zone 2):

www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/6c/1/en/hd/lonwd

london
Level Contributor
2,690 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Holiday Inn Express Docklands

You're on a wavelength with my other half, TravellerPlus. He just had a nostalgic moment over watching punk bands at the Bridgehouse in Canning Town, foraging in Silvertown's scrapyards for 'tyres, bearings and stuff' and visiting a girlfriend's father who worked at the Tate & Lyle factory (now loft apartments, I think).

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5,456 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Holiday Inn Express Docklands

Since you're only there a short time, save Docklands for another trip. When I was there, I made a note to myself to never stay there - it's too much like any big American city and too far from the centre of London.

Which airport are you using? Maybe we could suggest convenient hotels?

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,449 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Holiday Inn Express Docklands

The hotel itself is actually a tad further than across the street from the station (maybe 4 or 5 minutes walk with luggage). It is really only there for visitors to the nearby EXCEL conference centre. It is also used by tour groups. It is just like any other Holiday Inn Express with clean reasonable sized rooms and a very small bar and restaurant.

The price is great but I would have thought some of the other ones suggested by Travelspy are in better locations.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Holiday Inn Express Docklands

Hickney

T&L is still producing sugar as the smell from it when I went past last week testified. Still not as bad as a brewery at hopping time, but very similar.