We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hats for follicle-challenged men?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
142 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
hats for follicle-challenged men?

Will be in London in early April and my poor husband both sunburns easily and is "follicly-challenged." Here in the U.S. he wears a baseball hat, but a search on the TA London forum turned up several posts saying this is a sure-fire way to advertise that you are a tourist. Should he lather on the sunscreen and go hatless, or should we just admit the fact that we'll probably look like tourists no matter what we do and wear the hat?

Indiana
Level Contributor
653 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hats for follicle-challenged men?

You are not going to see a lot of baseball hats worn by men - young American students maybe - there are other types of hats that would save your husband's scalp, driving-type caps, or golf caps, etc.

No one is going to be pointing at him and snickering if he DOES wear his baseball cap.

(My proper MIL always insisted though that men remove their caps when inside a building, even if it was a McDonalds)

London, UK
Level Contributor
580 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hats for follicle-challenged men?

My husband covers his shiny tome in the summer with a cap, but it is an Australian sailing one which looks quite cool, The high crown type is not often seen here on older men and does sort of spell out North American , though I've noticed a revivied fashion for it amongst younger black teenage boys . He could go very Brit and wear a Panama hat (preferably a bit battered) - think cricket umpires - but unless they are well jammed onto the head, a gust of wind could have him sprinting for it.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hats for follicle-challenged men?

Instead of a baseball hat, how about an Ivy cap:

http://www.berkeleyhat.com/woonepiivyca.html

London, UK
Level Contributor
580 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hats for follicle-challenged men?

Just remembered - during last years relentless sun, saw a lot of cotton 'beanie' hats being worn by 20/30yr olds - older men often wear floppy cotton gardening hats (probably bought by their wives....)

London
Level Contributor
513 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hats for follicle-challenged men?

What's the matter with looking like a tourist? You will be tourists!

Loads of people wear baseball caps here in London.........he wont look out of place.

London, UK
Level Contributor
580 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hats for follicle-challenged men?

Just looked at that website mentioned by kb95 - wouldn't wool be a bit sticky? The panamas looked good value though, and foldable to pack. I'm not keen on tsing the under chin tie though - looks a bit 1920s toddler

Indiana
Level Contributor
653 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hats for follicle-challenged men?

Ivy caps come in other types of material - linen, cotton, etc.

http://www.dadshats.com/ivycap.html

The panama style will give a bit more face protection from the sun, but sunscreen will do that as well

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,783 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hats for follicle-challenged men?

The panama is getting increasingly popular and Mark and Spencer sells a nice version for about fifteen pounds from spring through the summer. Its cool, offers nice shade and you can get some that roll up too.

That said we have a lovely old battered one that comes out each summer and was bought for peanuts in a Manhattan outdoor market 25 years ago!

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
142 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: hats for follicle-challenged men?

Thanks all for the good advice and web sites. I'm going to look at them now and see if there's anything that strikes his fancy.

--orientme

London, UK
Level Contributor
580 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: hats for follicle-challenged men?

Love the name of that website ,NotreDameParent !- I stand corrected about the wool :the linen flat caps look cool (in both senses of the word) and wouldn't take up too much packing space.