We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Child-Friendly Restaurants

Kentucky, USA
Level Contributor
22 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Child-Friendly Restaurants

I am travelling to London in June with a very well-behaved 7 year old.

What are some decent restaurants that (without duress) accomodate children?

I am thinking about Mr. Kong in Chinatown before our play, but apart from that, I'm clueless.

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,254 reviews
from US$127.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
456 reviews
from US$106.00*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,085 reviews
from US$150.40*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from US$302.90*
US$336.60
Cheshire, England
Level Contributor
274 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Child-Friendly Restaurants

I think Busaba Eathai on Wardour Street would be good.

Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Brighton
Level Contributor
4,488 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Child-Friendly Restaurants

we travel to London often with our two (9 & 4) and have never come across anywhere that isnt child friendly (during the day or early evening). We find that Italian restaurants are usually good with kids.

Here's a handy list of "child friendly" eateries (Italian & American being the general theme).

www.london-eating.co.uk/occasions/kids.asp

Indiana
Level Contributor
653 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Child-Friendly Restaurants

Strada was very nice - saw lots of families with strollers, etc. (and I recommend them over the standard Pizza express)

http://www.strada.co.uk/

My oldest at 7 could have done dinner with the queen...and have been very proper the entire time!

You will find most restaurants will be accomodating.

you can browse toptable for some alternate ideas - most have sample menus that may help with planning (my youngest was the nightmare to take to dinner ........... "I don't LIKE that" - ha)

www.toptable.co.uk

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Brighton, Nice
Level Contributor
6,283 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Child-Friendly Restaurants

Giraffe (branches across London) is extremely child friendly:

http://www.giraffe.net/

It's a particularly good venue for brunch and lunch.

Richoux tea rooms are also good for well-behaved kids, and are useful for pre-theatre meals:

http://www.richoux.co.uk/home.htm

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Child-Friendly Restaurants

Tootsies has branches scattered around.

It's not fine dining but they are very accomodating with some drawing kit for kids at the table.

Mr Kongs is a good choice food wise. I can't recall if I've seen families in there but has generally been later in the evening.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,611 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Child-Friendly Restaurants

I agree with Notadame regarding Strada, child friendly and about the best italian/pizza chains in town. Pizza far superior to Pizza express et al.

Have you heard of Rainforst Cafe? www.rainforestcafe.com A 7 years old will love this place, set in a jungle with models & jungle noises etc. The food is actualy not bad (fast food type menu but quality) if slightly expensive. Zoo shop on site, a nice lunch experience with children IMO You may need to book.

Stoofer

Hawkinge, United...
Level Contributor
324 posts
433 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Child-Friendly Restaurants

Smollensky's on the Strand is great for weekend lunch - they have entertainment for kids. Otherwise, to be honest, you can pretty much take your pick as long as your child is well behaved. We have never had any problem going to any restaurant with our two - those days in Europe are very long gone. Don't worry about it at all I promise you. Pick a restaurant that you and your son/daughter would enjoy and go ahead and book up. It would be a shame to visit London and just eat in burger bars or theme restaurants. You can do it at home and probably better. London is great for modern British food and also ethnic food ie Indian, Chinese, Thai, Lebanese etc.

Great for Chinese at lunchtime is the New World restaurant in Gerrard Place (Chinatown). They have a proper dim sum service - old ladies wheeling round endless trolleys of amazing dim sum and our girls always like this. Also, you can see what it is before ordering :) and they are only little plates anyway so no great disaster if you pick one you don't like. Its really good.

Levant and Pasha are both Moroccan/Lebanese restaurants with very atmospheric decor, dancers, magicians etc and you lol on cushions while you eat. The meals are "meze" style which means you get lots of small plates that just keep on coming from salads and dips with warm breads to grilled kebabs etc and nice sweets. It isn't too spicy - just a bit - and straight out of the Aladdin/Arabian Nights - fascinating for most kids and very different.

Covent Garden is full of restaurants and a fun area in the evening, convenient for theatreland.

Look on www.london-eating.co.uk for honest reviews and lots of restaurant info. Don't necessarily stick to "kid Friendly" category, as I say, as long as your child is not going to run around and annoy other diners you will be welcome anywhere. We took ours to Gordon Ramsey and no one batted an eyelid.

Allie

England
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Child-Friendly Restaurants

Hi.

My youngest loves Wagamammas, but it's not the place for a sedate meal. I haven't been in the New World in Chinatown for ages, but it was good the last time I went.

:)

9. Re: Child-Friendly Restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2009, 06:21