We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel between Gatwick and Heathrow?

north carolina
Level Contributor
389 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
travel between Gatwick and Heathrow?

Hi everyone, I just noticed on a flight my hubby booked ,we are flying into London Gatwick , then seems they have us leaving out of Heathrow for a flight to Munich...yikes. I thought it was a type o...not. So, we have 5 hours between, anyone have any ideas the easiest/cheapest way to get between these airports? I know this might sound crazy but should I check and see if there is a cheap connecting flight from Gatwick to Munich ? Live and learn, yes. Thanks, Julie

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: travel between Gatwick and Heathrow?

National Express coaches are the best way to get between the two airports. It takes just over an hour if there's no traddic on the M25).

www.nationalexpress.co.uk

Unfortunatly there are no flight to Munich from Gatwick.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,020 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: travel between Gatwick and Heathrow?

Believe it or not 5 hours is the MINIMUM recommended time for transferring between ANY pair of London airports. So no dawdling at Gatwick

The easiest - and quickest - is National Express coach which run every 20 minutes or so during the day.

If you go to www.gatwickairport.com, click on "to and from our airport", then select "travel between airports" you'll get all the information you need.

Don't forget to collect your luggage and remember the one bag & liquid rules for flights from UK airports

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travel between Gatwick and Heathrow?

Yes that would probably be a good idea.

The best way by far to make the transfer is by coach, it takes about 90 minutes, and is direct.

5 hours should be fine for the connection, but if you can find a cheap flight to Munich that would save a lot of time, HOWEVER, if you already booked the tickets you will almost certainly find that if you do not take the Heathrow-Munich leg of your journey, your return ticket will be invalidated.

Check that first, and give your hubby a slap whatever the outcome :-)

London
Level Contributor
3,773 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travel between Gatwick and Heathrow?

BA and a lot of charter airlines like First Choice and Thomson fly from Gatwick to Salzburg for the skiing.

If you can get a cheap flight on one of these, Munich is just 90 minutes by train from Salzburg.

north carolina
Level Contributor
389 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travel between Gatwick and Heathrow?

Oh dear, if I did find a cheaper flight is it really possible that our return flight would be invalid ? Drats! Funny ,Salzburg was mentioned cause thats our first stop on our journey. I think I'll check those other airlines then give AA a call. Thanks everyone for your replys. I miss the London forum. We went a few years ago and loved it. All you forumites made our trip wonderful. I must admit, I have yet to find such a helpful group on the other country forums. Thanks again, Julie ps tell Adam Hi

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,020 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: travel between Gatwick and Heathrow?

BA can be very cheap for intra-Europe flights - and once you've included the savings from not having to change airports (£19 one way by coach) it can become a real bargain

north carolina
Level Contributor
389 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: travel between Gatwick and Heathrow?

Hi again...Oh, drats, I talked to AA and looks like the rest of our flights would in deed be invalid. Boohoo. They mentioned taking a cab to Heathrow, would that be insane or cheaper cause we are a party of 5?

Wish I had more time to play in London, would be a gain instead of a loss. Thanks for your time.Julie

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: travel between Gatwick and Heathrow?

"They mentioned taking a cab to Heathrow, would that be insane or cheaper cause we are a party of 5?"

Almost certainly cheaper, definitely faster, and a pre booked car even cheaper. Use one of the firms often recommended here, and make sure they know how many and how much luggage so you get an appropriate size car.

north carolina
Level Contributor
389 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: travel between Gatwick and Heathrow?

Thanks for your speedy replys. I think I like the car idea. So, do you mind if I ask for a good car service? I'm stretching here but would we have time for a quick drive thru London? I know, I just miss that great place and to be so near yet so far. Thanks, Julie

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: travel between Gatwick and Heathrow?

I would advise a separate post or a search on terms like car service or airport transfers, there are quite a few recent threads on this topic and I haven't used one myself so can't recommend one, though the same names do keep coming up.

And no, you do not have time for a drive through London :-)