We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Night Buses

knoxville, tn
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Night Buses

Hey, all!

I am 30 years old and will be travelling with my husband, brother, sil, mom and dad to London this summer. This trip will be my 3rd time in London, but a first for my husband and sil. Normally, I have gone out at night and just made it back to the hotel by the last tube train. This trip, I want to take advantage of the late license night life and be able to stay out like I can here at home. I am worried about being able to take night buses and negotiating our trip home if we party in Shoreditch or Camden or somewhere away from the West End or our hotel in Bloomsbury area (Montague on the Gardens). I have tried to look up info on the night buses, but I was wondering if an "old hand" could give me a little advice. I am an artist and figure that the Shoreditch and Camden bars are probably more my speed, but I can be happy anywhere in London!

Thanks in advance for any replies :)

Mentioned in this post
The Shoreditch
The Shoreditch
87 Reviews
London, UK
Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
42,841 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Night Buses

Hi and welcome to the Forum!

The Transport for Londn website is very useful (www.tfl.gov.uk). You can download maps showing night buses.

There are two night buses (N243 & N55) that run from Shoreditch to Holborn which is about a 5 minute walk from your hotel. I can't see a bus that runs from Camden although the N5, N20 & N253 all go from Camden to Euston which is a ten minute walk from the hotel.

There will be taxis around - just make sure you use a licensed black cab an please do NOT even think about getting into an unlicensed mini-cab.

Have a great stay and please don't hesitate to ask more questions.

Adam C

Mentioned in this post
The Forum
The Forum
8 Reviews
London, UK
The Shoreditch
The Shoreditch
87 Reviews
London, UK
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
57,400 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Night Buses

There are plenty of night buses across London, and certainly Camden, Shoreditch and Hoxton will have a few. Service can be as infrequent as every 30 to 60 minutes on some routes - it depends on the day and time of travel.

You should be able to get a Central London Bus Guide when you get there, or you could try writing to London Buses Customer Service, 172 Buckingham Palace Road, London SW1W 9TN.

Mentioned in this post
The Shoreditch
The Shoreditch
87 Reviews
London, UK
knoxville, tn
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Night Buses

Thanks for the advice, guys! Adam, you will slap my wrists with a stick for sure, but here goes...

My last trip to London was about 3 years ago. I was there with my mother and grandmother, so I spent a lot of time out at night while they retired early. I had a couple of friends living in Horn Church who would meet me in the city most nights. One eve, I travelled there for dinner and drinks and ended up hanging out too late to take a train. My friend called a "mini/gypsy cab" for me and for 40 pounds, I was back to my hotel in Kensington area unscathed. Lucky I am to have my faculties about me for this trip, I am acquiring better information for safer travel! Of course, I will have my husband and brother with me practically everywhere I go, so I will be safer anyway.

Thanks again for the advice and though my 5 am gypsy cab experience ended successfully, I would not advise it .

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
42,841 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Night Buses

Thanks for sharing and warning others. And considered yourself slapped!

london
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Night Buses

Hello Sariebell

For Shoreditch pubs, you could start off at the Golden Hart on Commercial Street, right opposite Spitalfields market. It's a well-known artist's pub (Tracey Emin drinks there, among others). And Brick Lane and Hoxton Square have bars and clubs you'll probably like. A lot of artist activity has moved across the river to Deptford, but you'd need to know where to go for it to be a good idea for a night out. Camden is more of a musician's area and it has quite a retro vibe - better for indie and goth pubs.

London, England
Level Contributor
2,169 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Night Buses

If you are out in Camden the N29 or N279 goes through there towards Kings Cross, Tottenham Court Road, so that could be an option too. Also, if there are 4 of you, a black cab probably wouldn't be that expensive. I've taken one from the West End back to my place right on the outskirts of London and it only cost ��30, so from Camden to Bloomsbury, should be less that ��15, not much if you split it 4 ways.

knoxville, tn
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Night Buses

Thanks for the pub info! I have liked Camden area in the past, though I am not a goth persay...

I am interested in finding alternative music venues (small ones) like bars with accoustic sets. I am not sure exactly what I am looking for, but I thought Camden Lock area would be a good place to start. Of course, I am very open to any suggestions!!

Wouldn't it be neat to meet and drink with some artists whose work I admire! I used to hang out with NYC artists a lot back in art school days, but certainly not lately. I look forward to at least seeing some interesting art and getting a jump start into a new direction in my own work!

Mentioned in this post
london
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Night Buses

Yes, Camden has a lot of live music. Barfly and the Jazz Cafe are two places I go to, plus the old Dingwalls. But I do think Camden prides itself on its early 80s-style lack of comfort, or maybe I'm just getting too old for it! I prefer the Sir Richard Steels on Haverstock Hill, which isn't far from Camden (very old pub, live music at weekends, a few famous faces, can get a bit wild).

london
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Night Buses

Tut, Sir Richard Steele.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,128 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Night Buses

If I were you I would telephone the London Borough of Camden and asked them to put you through the licensing department. Ask them to tell you what bars and pubs have been granted a late night licence. Only a handful of pubs and bars have applied for it. Otherwise you might end up being disspointed. Their website should be www.camden.gov.uk