We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation to Heathrow Help

Dana Point...
Level Contributor
322 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation to Heathrow Help

We will be staying at the Ampersand hotel in South Kensington, we fly to Venice on 9/21 out of Terminal 5 at 8:50, I'm thinking we should hire a private driver since we have to get to the airport so early, it just seems like taking the tube at 6am would really be stressful, what do you experts think out there?

Mentioned in this post
The Ampersand Hotel
The Ampersand Hotel
3,778 Reviews
London, UK
South Kensington
South Kensington
314 Reviews
London, UK
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,515 Reviews
from US$121.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
717 Reviews
from US$110.00*
Stonehenge, Windsor and Bath with Pub...
2,199 Reviews
from US$124.60*
32 replies to this topic
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
67,831 posts
460 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation to Heathrow Help

I don't really see how taking the tube at 0600 would be stressful. I'd say it would be easier than taking it later in the morning, when I would guess it would be much busier.

But if you're more comfortable with a private transfer, then look at Blackberry or Parker Cars, who are often recommended on this forum.

London, United...
Level Contributor
76 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation to Heathrow Help

I believe it's one direction train (picadilly line) from.aouth Kensington station to Heathrow T5.

No stress on the tube at 0600.

Mentioned in this post
The Kensington
The Kensington
3,236 Reviews
London, UK
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
Greater London...
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation to Heathrow Help

"No stress on the tube at 0600."

If it is running. May be that is what the op means

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
67,831 posts
460 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation to Heathrow Help

It should be running on that date.

New Mexico
Level Contributor
13,041 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation to Heathrow Help

The first Piccadilly line train to T3 on Thursdays departs South Kensington station at 0552 and arrives at T3 at 0636.

Just make sure you take a train that is going to "T1, 2, 3 & 5"

You can depart as early as 0411, but the train will stop at T 4 before going to T3.

…tfl.gov.uk/fandl-piccadilly-wtt-57.pdf

Mentioned in this post
South Kensington
South Kensington
314 Reviews
London, UK
London, United...
Level Contributor
3,541 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation to Heathrow Help

whilst the tube should be running on that date, there is always the chance of unforeseen delays, such as a late finish to overnight engineering work, signal failure, staff shortage meaning that the station is closed etc.

These are relatively rare, but you never know when they are going to happen.

For peace of mind, it may be an idea to order a car. Traffic will be light at 05:30 - 06:00.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
67,831 posts
460 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation to Heathrow Help

I think it would be very rare for the tube not to be running on time, but it could happen, just as someone can win the lottery.

Without knowing what stresses the OP about about taking the tube, it's difficult to address their concerns, so all I can do is to repat that if they feel uncomfortable, a private transfer will be the answer.

Greater London...
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Transportation to Heathrow Help

"I think it would be very rare for the tube not to be running on time, but it could happen, just as someone can win the lottery."

Many times my trains have been delayed for this or that of simply not run at all but I have never had even a moderate win on the lottery. May be getting struck by lighting and the train being delayed are better odds.

Nearly missed plane out of Gatwick due to somebody deciding to end it all. Taxi saved the day for me anyway.

Mentioned in this post
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
67,831 posts
460 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transportation to Heathrow Help

Sorry, I didn't mean it as the tube being punctual I meant for the tube to start running at the appointed time. I know that it does soemtimes happen that engineering works or other problems mean that trains can't get out of the depot ion the morning. but in my days of living in West London I thought it was pretty rare.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Corringham, United...
Level Contributor
6,940 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transportation to Heathrow Help

On the other hand you could have a private taxi and be caught up in traffic jams!

Personally think you would have to allow a similar time for both journeys,

Reply to: Transportation to Heathrow Help
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted