We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passport issues... 10 weeks!

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Passport issues... 10 weeks!

I applied to get my name changed at the end of January, and was told it would take 6 weeks. I checked the status online, and it's taking 10 weeks! Cutting it way too close for comfort! I'm also concerned because I don't entirely trust my post office. We moved to a new apartment back in November, but have recently found out that there have been some "problems" with the mail. My husband's renewed passport arrived Federal Express automatically, but mine is due to arrive by regular post.

Anyway, I've been trying for days to contact the number to the National Passport Information Service, (the number the passport office said to call when I enquired about my issues) but can't get through to a representative. An automated voice says "we're experiencing a high volume of calls"... then to "please stay on the line, your call is imortant to us", then another voice comes along and says, "thank you for calling, goodbye"... then it hangs up.

Anyway, I'm very nervous about this... any advise? (Besides, "you should have applied earlier"... no kidding, but when I first enquited I was told it would take 4 weeks. When I actually applied I was told 6 weeks!)

Arg!

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Passport issues... 10 weeks!

Is this a UK or USA passport ?

If you had to send the old one off, I can't suggest much. Otherwise, there is no need to change your name

USA
Level Contributor
6,981 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Passport issues... 10 weeks!

You should be able to check your January application status online at …state.gov/passport/…status_2567.html The disclaimer says "Currently, it is taking up to 7 days for Expedited Applications and up to 3 weeks for Routine Applications to be tracked online. Please allow at least that time before checking the status of your application."

I doubt that the minions answering phones at the passport office could get you any better information. They certainly will not look through the mounds of applications to find yours.

Columbia, SC
Level Contributor
340 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Passport issues... 10 weeks!

Here in the US they're currently implementing a decision to require passports for travel to Canada and Mexico. The whole system is incredibly swamped at the moment and that's the source of your delay.

If you can get through to them somehow (keep trying) in the couple of weeks before you leave, they will offer to try and expedite the return of your new passport. I think patience will be rewarded in the end but I sympathize with the anxiety this is causing you.

No help to you knowing that tens of thousands of other people are in the same boat right now...

California
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Passport issues... 10 weeks!

Hi, it's a U.S. passport...

Yes, I've checked online.

The person at the passport desk at the post office said I could pay an extra fee to have it expedited faster, and gave me this number to do it over the phone.

I'll go back to the office to see what else she suggests.

All this hassle because I got married and had to change my name!! This stinks!!!

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,777 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Passport issues... 10 weeks!

Hang in there Podo!

Indiana
Level Contributor
653 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Passport issues... 10 weeks!

This happened to our school principal near the end of last year prior to our school trip - it had been almost 12 weeks and she still hadn't heard anything.......turns out she had turned in the wrong form (it was renewing a passport that was expired more than the time frame allowed)....and it took multiple phone calls for someone at the processing point to figure this out.

At this point, I would suggest that you pay the expediting fee - Your husband's passport arriving by Federal Express indicates to me that there was some extra fees paid for that - they usually come by regular US mail otherwise.

(When I was a travel agent, I always counseled my clients that they should allow 3-4 MONTHS for passport issue, because that covers glitches, mailing issues, additional questions, and the usual government beaurocracy...and this was years prior to the new passport rules which are overloading the system. 6-10 weeks was the normal window of processing time 10-15 years ago.........it was lucky if they came before that time.)

It's an extra charge, for expediting, but it will give you peace of mind....

NDP

Dallas
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Passport issues... 10 weeks!

Hi There - I can feel your pain. They never answer that line. Here are a couple of things that I have found out. First off. The web site info at the state dept. is complete lies. It is taking 10-13 weeks for most folks to get their passports if not expedited (sp?). I sent mine in expedited 4 weeks ago and still I have heard nothing. It is supposed to take 2 weeks for expedited according to the passport forms and website. I have heard that they never update they website, so the online status lookup is spotty at best. I did at search here at TA and found some suggestions:

1.) Go to the post office where you applied or your local one. They have a 800 number that they can call to find out if the state dept has even started processing your passport. You can also keep trying that number you have, but it may literally take days to finally get through. If you do, pay to have your passport expedited. They will take your credit card info over the phone.

2.) If all else fails, call you senator's office. They have staff that deal with these sorts of issues. This is what they are there for.

The recent changes in passport law have caused huge issues and as always our government was not prepared to deal with the huge influx of people needing passports. Everyone and their brother is going to Cabo San Lucas this year and they now need a passport.

What I want to know it how come I can pay a passport service $150.00 and they will handwalk my con't passport application through the system and have it in my hand in 5 days. What the heck is that all about?

Dallas
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Passport issues... 10 weeks!

sorry for double post - meant son's passport, not con't passport.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
226 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Passport issues... 10 weeks!

I had my granddaughter's passport renewed last week and I was told it is now taking at least 12 weeks to process. Luckily she is not traveling until November. Hopefully it will be here by then!

When are you leaving podo944? I would definitely pay the extra. Good luck..

Independence...
Level Contributor
508 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Passport issues... 10 weeks!

Sorry it's taking so long.

I sent my renewal in January 3rd. at least 20 other people in line were either renewing or getting new ones, so I'm thinking "oh no it's going to take forever"!.

I got mine back in exactly 6 weeks. I was about to drive my mailman nuts after the 4th week. Mine actually came Priority Mail.

Your experience with automated calling sounds like my recent tries with Medicare, loops continuous loops.

So I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that it arrives soon.