We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fare for 2 tubes

13 posts
Save Topic
Fare for 2 tubes

Hi.

Apologies if this is a silly question. I'm travelling from Heathrow to Tower Bridge in a few days, and Citymapper tells me that the fare will be £3.10 off-peak. I can't figure out why and think I am misunderstanding how the fares are actually calculated. I will be taking one tube from zone 6 to 2 (Heathrow Terminals 1,2,3 to Hammersmith). This costs me £1.50 off-peak. From here I'd take a tube to Monument station (zone 2 to zone 1) which costs £2.40 off-peak. This adds up to £3.90.

https:/…underground.htm This website states that travelling zone 1 to 6 is £3.10, but I am taking 2 separate journeys so if I use pay as you go, would I be charged £3.90 or £3.10? I want to make sure I top up enough as I plan to only use £10 credit to get me to and from Heathrow, and then buy a 7 day travelcard on top of this.

Any explanation is greatly appreciated.

Edited: 19 August 2017, 08:12
Mentioned in this post
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
Tower Bridge
Tower Bridge
31,150 Reviews
London, UK
Hammersmith
Hammersmith
121 Reviews
London, UK
8 replies to this topic
Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
9,122 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fare for 2 tubes

You're not taking two separate journeys. It's one journey, even though you change trains. The fare is calculated from when you enter through the barriers at Heathrow to where you exit through the barriers at your destination.

Mentioned in this post
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
6,790 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fare for 2 tubes

The computer counts this as a single journey, so off peak, £3.10, presumably you are only changing between trains at Hammersmith, and not going through the barriers

Mentioned in this post
Hammersmith
Hammersmith
121 Reviews
London, UK
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
6,809 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fare for 2 tubes

There are also some stations which are "linked" as far as fares are concerned. These are ones where you leave one station and walk a short distance to another.

eg TFL rail to Liverpool Street and then catch the underground.

Mentioned in this post
Liverpool
Liverpool
Merseyside, UK
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Fare for 2 tubes

Ah okay, this clears it up. So I tap the scanner once at Heathrow, and then again when I exit at Monument station (my destination). I do not need to tap my oyster card onto the scanner at Hammersmith if I understood correctly?

So one journey can feature multiple trains, and to mark a whole journey I must tap my card only at the start and at the end of the journey (my destination) but not in between stations?

Mentioned in this post
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
Hammersmith
Hammersmith
121 Reviews
London, UK
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
95,376 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fare for 2 tubes

You tap the card when you pass through barriers, which you usually do not do when changing between lines.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
33,150 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fare for 2 tubes

So I tap the scanner once at Heathrow, and then again when I exit at Monument station (my destination). I do not need to tap my oyster card onto the scanner at Hammersmith if I understood correctly?

===========

Yes that's essentially correct and for your journey definitely correct.

Now, as Amos says there are cases where to change lines (even tube to tube) you need to exit one part of the station and re-enter another part, and that requires tapping out and in again. But even then, as long as you re-enter the other part relatively quickly the system will still charge you just one fare.

Hammersmith has this between the Piccadilly/District line platforms and the Hammersmith & City/Circle line (two station buildings across the street from each other) although you be making your change within one building, and across one island platform.

Mentioned in this post
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
Hammersmith
Hammersmith
121 Reviews
London, UK
Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
6,790 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fare for 2 tubes

To avoid any confusion, change at Barons Court instead. Same journey, less complicated station, just walk 5 yards across the platform!

London
Level Contributor
896 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fare for 2 tubes

"To avoid any confusion, change at Barons Court instead. Same journey, less complicated station, just walk 5 yards across the platform!"

Umm... that's exactly the same as what you do at Hammersmith. But Barons Court is less busy.

The exception to not touching your card during the journey is if you're making a journey that could be done either by going via zone 1 or by avoiding zone 1 (which would be cheaper). At stations where people change trains to make this sort of journey there is a pink reader which you touch to tell the system you've avoided zone 1. Most tourists won't be making these journeys though.

Mentioned in this post
Hammersmith
Hammersmith
121 Reviews
London, UK
Reply to: Fare for 2 tubes
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted