We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rail from London St Pancras to Leicester

USA
Level Contributor
29 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Rail from London St Pancras to Leicester

I am on a website to check fares from London St Pancras to Leicester. I want to buy 2 round trip first class tickets for my wife and adult daughter, and return the same day. This website asks if you have a rail pass. I will have a 4 day BritRail England Consecutive Senior Pass. My wife and daughter will have an oyster card. If I say that I do not have a rail pass, the fare is Usd $ 163 round trip. If I say that I do have a rail pass, the fare is Usd $ 22 round trip. Would a London 7 day Travel card work as a rail pass. Obviously, I am trying to get the discounted rate from London to Leicester fairly. Can I make the decision to buy either an oyster card or 7 day London card when I arrive Heathrow, or will this just not work? I will have several days in London before we go to Leicester. I have asked this question earlier, but I do not think I was clear. Thank you.

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,260 reviews
from US$126.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
457 reviews
from US$105.50*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,086 reviews
from US$149.70*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from US$301.60*
US$335.10
Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,438 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rail from London St Pancras to Leicester

Hi

Not sure if I've read this right but are you trying to use an Oyster card to get to Leicester?

Also, which web site are you looking at? Try www.nationalrail.co.uk for train times and fares. I can't believe it's $163 for a round trip even if it is for two people. Not sure why it would be quoted in USD anyway or did you convert the GBP amount?

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rail from London St Pancras to Leicester

I see fares from £9 each way from Midland Mainline.

All of this rail pass stuff iis just confusing you. An Oystercard or any other kind of London trasport ticket is not a rail pass in this sense. Do not use a US website to buy the tickets.

USA
Level Contributor
29 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rail from London St Pancras to Leicester

Hi dicanio10,

I am not trying to use the oyster card to go to Leicester. I am on the Raileurope.com website. I know the oyster card/London 7 day card cannot be used for travel to Leicester. This raileurope website is somewhat confusing, but it does show significant discounts if you check the box "Rail Pass". Hope I have answered your question properly.

Canada
Level Contributor
2,519 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rail from London St Pancras to Leicester

The rail pass referred to on the booking site would be a discount pass for the railway system (not sure what they are called) and not the BritRail pass you have nor the Travel Card. Those two passes have nothing to do with the rail system (alas for you).

Try different ways of lookng up the ticket price on the site: two singles (one way--one for each direction), for example, may yield a different fare.

I like to use the gner.co.uk website, which is easy to fiddle around with. What dates are you looking for? I can poke around that site for you--or others might too.

Canada
Level Contributor
2,519 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rail from London St Pancras to Leicester

To reiterate a point made above, use one of the British sites to book your tickets--that is how to get the best fares (gner/trainline, etc.).

Cheers, Arf

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,438 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rail from London St Pancras to Leicester

MrBeanUSA. I thought that might be the case!

I would ignore the BritRail train pass thing and go straight to www.nationalrail.co.uk

The fares shouldn't be that expensive. The last time I did that trip it was less than £19 round trip.

I think that other site is clouding the issue.

Andy

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,572 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Rail from London St Pancras to Leicester

raileurope is notorious for supplying only expensive tickets.

In the UK I have know it charge for seat reservations - which are normally free anyway and on services where seat reservations aren't possible.

Use www.nationalrail.co.uk to get prices THEN go to the website of the company that runs the majority of the route you want to travel to book the tickets as it's possible you might get a discount on the fare or find some other way of reducing the cost further - eg group bookings

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,631 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rail from London St Pancras to Leicester

traintimes.org.uk is a useful train website, doesn't require registration to look up fares, and a simpler interface than the others.

Canada
Level Contributor
2,519 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rail from London St Pancras to Leicester

bobelinks: thanks for posting that--didn't know about that one.

10. Re: Rail from London St Pancras to Leicester

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2009, 12:25