We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gatwick or Luton

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Gatwick or Luton

Hello,

I'm a little confused which airport to use to fly to Barcelona from London. (EASYJET)

A have a choice between Gatwick or Luton airports. Ticket prices are the same. I've never been to London and not sure which airport is easier to get to and probably other things that I'm not familiar with (traffic, prices,security).

I'll be staying in Hyde Park area of London in May 2007.

Your help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Michael

Ohio
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gatwick or Luton

Welcome to the London Forum.

I would probably choose Gatwick because of the ease of using the Gatwick Express, which leaves from Victoria Station. There is a train every 15 minutes throughout the day.

www.gatwickexpress.com

To find out the best way to get from your hotel or closest tube station, you can use the Journey Planner at TFL (Transport For London).

…tfl.gov.uk/user/XSLT_TRIP_REQUEST2…

I'm not sure which terminal EasyJet leaves from, but it's very easy to get from terminal to terminal.

www.gatwickairport.com

Below is the link that tells you how to get to Luton Airport from central London.

london-luton.co.uk/en/…by_rail.html

London
Level Contributor
257 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gatwick or Luton

Agreed..if the price is the same and the flight times are ok, go with Gatwick.

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
384 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gatwick or Luton

Luton will take a bit longer to get to from London but because it is a lot smaller you generally get checked in quicker and you always seem to have to wait at an age when retuning to Gatwick for your luggage.

As both have pros and cons I would go for one with the most convenient times.

Canada
Level Contributor
2,519 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gatwick or Luton

I've only flown into Luton once, and never into or out of Gatwick. Getting from gate to baggage to transportation was breeze for us at Luton. Very fast. The airport is not all that big, which is good.

We took the bus (Greenline), which was a mistake due to heavy traffic coming into London. Easybus also offers a service. I'd suggest the train. First Capital Connect has a service from Kings Cross Thameslink station to a station very near the airport (Luton Airport), where you transfer to a bus for the quick connection. Midland Mainline has a similar service from Kings Cross St. Pancras station. You are looking at around 20-25 minutes for the rail journey.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Gatwick or Luton

Gatwick trains are nicer, more frequent and faster plus the station is integrated into the building rather than the stupid shuttle bus at Luton.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gatwick or Luton

Thank you all very much ! Gatwick it is !

7. Re: Gatwick or Luton

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2009, 00:17